Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Possible to have outposts in 40.04 (spoilers)  (Read 1607 times)

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Possible to have outposts in 40.04 (spoilers)
« on: July 22, 2014, 08:51:16 pm »

You can have multiple fortresses in retirement at one time and use peasant adventurers as mules to transfer items back and forth. Can't seem to transfer people from site to site yet, only add custom adventurers to sites 8).

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to have outposts in 40.04 (spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:52:25 pm »

can't you get someone to join you and then dump them at the target site? (or would they journey home immediately?)
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 08:55:10 pm »

Will those items actually appear in your stocks when unretiring the fortress?

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 09:10:18 pm »

Doesn't the 4 week+ lapse and the way invasions are handled by the calendar make it really risky to go back and find a goblin-filled fortress?

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 09:31:30 pm »

Doesn't the 4 week+ lapse and the way invasions are handled by the calendar make it really risky to go back and find a goblin-filled fortress?
I've unretired plenty of fortresses and that never happened to me before, but that might just be luck.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:44:05 pm »

can't you get someone to join you and then dump them at the target site? (or would they journey home immediately?)

I tried that and was unsuccessful but my companion wasn't my race, maybe they need to be of the same entity or something?

Will those items actually appear in your stocks when unretiring the fortress?

In all my tests they were exactly on the ground where I left them, just like when you use dfhack in 34.11 to embark on bandit camps 8).

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 09:49:46 pm »

This seems like it'd be really good for the makings of a succession game in some way. IDK how, but if someone could figure it out it could have potential.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 10:03:20 pm »

I tried that and was unsuccessful but my companion wasn't my race, maybe they need to be of the same entity or something?

I had a same-race, same-entity human companion stay at a hillocks I retired at, despite the fact that the hillocks were of a different civ than ours.

Seems like one of those things that would require some testing.

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 11:45:08 pm »

well NPCs can just decide to journey to other sites now too can't they?  so it might be difficult to test whether it's working or not
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 12:27:00 am »

well NPCs can just decide to journey to other sites now too can't they?  so it might be difficult to test whether it's working or not
I have seen other people visiting my retired sites when bringing adventurers over for testing. Leaving behind a hostile adventurer so you can go back into fort mode and and try to defend is pretty !!FUN!!  :D.