Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Professions and Allowed Materials/Items Science  (Read 337 times)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Professions and Allowed Materials/Items Science
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:39:40 pm »

So, I don't know how much of this is already known, but I couldn't find any in-depth info on it.

I wanted to know exactly how the professions allowed to entities affect gameplay, in particular Adventure Mode. Are they more, less, or equally important than allowed items or reactions?
I did two (far from exhaustive) tests: in the first, I removed all professions from the PLAINS entity and started a human adventurer on a pocket-size world with a five-year history.
Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

In the second test, I removed all professions from the MOUNTAIN entity and started a fortress (using Play Now! embark settings) on a pocket-size world with a five-year history.
Spoiler: Results (click to show/hide)

Conclusions:
- Healthcare professions are unable to be removed (Mining as a labor is enabled, but the profession doesn't seem to show up)
  --apparently hunters can't be removed either, although they show up less often than doctors.
- Professions have no impact on the items generated by the game for merchants/objects in mead halls etc., EXCEPT:
  --professions (either Mining or Furnace Operator, or both, is my guess) determines whether basic ore-metals will show up
  --alloys show up regardless of profession (based on PERMITTED_REACTION only)
  --all other items, materials seem totally based on those allowed in the entity: if jute plants are available to the entity (through the OUTDOOR_FARMING tag or whatever controls that) then objects made of jute fiber will show up, whether or not the entity has Growers, Threshers, Weavers, or Clothiers.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 02:25:54 pm by Loam »
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: Professions and Allowed Materials/Items Science
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:39 pm »

Updated with a few more tests:

All these tests used Pocket worlds, 5-yr histories. Tests 4 - 6 also had Everywhere minerals (to ensure that iron ore was available).
All changes are made to the PLAINS entity.

Test 3:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(BTW, the way I'm testing whether they show up is to start a human adventurer and "l"ook at people and items, to see if any of their stuff is made from raw metals.)

Test 4:

Test 5:

Test 6 was a small one, I just wanted to see whether TEST_REACTION needed a SKILL token to work. It doesn't: the raw metal still appeared.

Also, the large copper dagger adventurers start with is hardcoded to be copper, whether copper is available or not. Same with the copper spear genned on adventurers w/o weapon skill.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)