Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Df2014 necromancers  (Read 3138 times)

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
Re: Df2014 necromancers
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 02:47:56 pm »

The undead seem to be insanely capable fighters in this version. Maybe I just had more cannon fodder attackers in 34, but I've had way too many problems fighting animated dead as an adventurer this time around. They're surprisingly good at parrying with their cheap knives. Doesn't help that pain in general is a lot more dangerous and leads to instant blackouts if you manage to crush a body part.

Yeah, plus they seem to shrug off everything short of flattening their skull if you have the misfortune of wielding a blunt weapon.

Just cut off all the limbs that make them dangerous. Sure the hands and such will get reanimated, but they'll be slow enough you can evade them.

Less effective when you play a maceman. D:

Use your teeth. Omnomnomnomnom.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2014, 02:50:25 pm »

Use your teeth. Omnomnomnomnom.

In Soviet Russia, zombie is bitten by you? o3o
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2014, 07:42:46 pm »

The undead seem to be insanely capable fighters in this version. Maybe I just had more cannon fodder attackers in 34, but I've had way too many problems fighting animated dead as an adventurer this time around. They're surprisingly good at parrying with their cheap knives. Doesn't help that pain in general is a lot more dangerous and leads to instant blackouts if you manage to crush a body part.

Yeah, plus they seem to shrug off everything short of flattening their skull if you have the misfortune of wielding a blunt weapon.
As an axeman adventurer, most of my conflicts with zombies end up with me taking off three limbs and the head before it finally drops. I even take off the head *first* and it doesn't do anything.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:35 pm »

As an axeman adventurer, most of my conflicts with zombies end up with me taking off three limbs and the head before it finally drops. I even take off the head *first* and it doesn't do anything.

Exactly that. It seems that actually removing limbs does nothing. Apparently you have to GIB a bodypart and it dies instantly. This seems to also tie into bodies with gibbed parts being unfit for resurrection.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 06:54:30 am »

On that basis I would expect hammers maces Morningstar etc to be the most effective at laying to rest?

DracMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 11:47:57 am »

I met my first necromancer shortly after embark the other day... he brought two undead and just stood where he entered the map. For months. Didn't attack until I brought some military dwarves near him. Then he climbed a tree while his zombies tore my poor untrained dorfs up. (Shoulda left him alone for a few years until I had more immigrants.)

On a tangential note, I love how stuff will climb/perch in trees now. Chopping down a tree and watching a kea get mangled is hilarious and it's gonna be fun cleaning up sieges that way. Who'd have thought wood cutting would become a military skill?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:57:02 am by DracMonster »

PotatoOverdose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 06:33:44 pm »

Anybody seen undead crossbow wielders?
I've seen an undead elf that was a bow wielder. He shot 5 arrows and then ran out of ammo.
Do bolts actually have an impact on the undead now?
In my previous fort I had 2 legendary marksdwarves. It took them about a month (maybe a little less) to kill each undead with iron bolts. Eventually they get a lucky hit in that crushes the head/skull/brain/whatever which kills the undead and mangles the corpse.

This method is problematic though because it uses up quite a bit of metal which makes it rather wasteful/unsustainable. Might try to use wooden bolts in my next fort just to get an idea of how (in)effective wooden bolts would be against the undead.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:35:23 pm by PotatoOverdose »

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 07:42:37 pm »

They can still use armor and weapons now . . . so wooden bolts aren't likely to get anywhere.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 07:49:49 pm »

Copper bolts work almost as well as iron from what I remember of bolt material physics. And wooden and bone bolts work FAR better then they logically should, unless Toady nerfed ranged more then I thought he did with this release.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 02:04:42 am »

Thanks!  On today's brand new necromancer neighbouring fortress I shall lay in great stocks of wooden bolts!

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 08:19:00 am »

Oh wow, I just had two zombies bash one of my Recruits. One of them punched him and knocked him unconscious while the second one tackled him and broke his hip/leg in a lock. The first one then retrieved the Recruits High Boot and proceeded to brain him to death with it (two blows on a Leather Helm).

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 09:14:57 am »

Yup the undead are a serious force in .40.x. I had a single elite undead elf in bronze armour eliminate my 6 dwarf military and their war dogs. Elf in bronze armour!!! Using its bow!!!

Nasty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2014, 05:06:47 am »

Oh wow yeah, bow zombie would be the worst. Pretty much immune to piercing attacks because it takes so many to pulp something important, so you cant shoot it back.

I just gave up my fort near a tower, going back to finding some nice easy goblins to fight instead. The Zombies just hang around the edge of the map now, dont path properly so I cant even slowly shoot them to death from behind fortifications. There are about 25 of them and I'm looking at taking mass casualties from even just one.

I love the idea but it seems a _bit_ much, even if they pathed properly.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2014, 12:20:06 pm »

On a related note, it seems that other non-biological creatures are fairly beefy as well. In my recent adventure save where, via some modding experiments to make crude armor out of leather/bones/etc, I've gone hell-bent on making leather loincloths out of every kind of megabeast I can, I've found a titan made of filth that's more or less immune to everything you throw at it. Granted it's a blob, and I only have spears, arrows, and slings to test on it...
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

Pages: 1 [2]