Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway  (Read 24177 times)

Bodkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Hoondat Report
Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway
« on: July 23, 2014, 08:48:49 pm »

I want to know what things you always do in your fortress, even though it might be easier and better if you didn't. Maybe it's something that endangers your dwarves or animals. Maybe it makes certain industries difficult or impossible. Maybe it slows down progress or makes organizing your map more difficult. Maybe it's your personal symptom of OCD that only DF brings out in you ... but you do it anyway, because YOU JUST HAVE TO. I want to know what you do, and what it does to your dwarves.

Mine is that I want to engrave everything, inside and out, with images of the best possible quality, which means smoothing first to train up the skill. This means it takes (occasionally) up to two years to prepare my sluices and cisterns before I can let in water for my well, so during the first winter or two, injured dwarves die of dehydration in the hospital. Also, I hate soil layers.

What's yours?
I have so far executed three dwarves by means of impalement ... for bringing cats into my fortress.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 09:57:12 pm »

When I gear up my dwarves, I don't like to add tons of layers to abuse the combat system. You recruits are getting a mail shirt, helm and some leggings and you're going to like it!
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 10:05:36 pm »

With magma forges, instead of just mining out an area directly above the magma sea and carving channels, I instead mine out an area at the same level as the great magma sea.  I build fortifications and a draw bridge along the area I will channel out from above to connect this chamber to the magma sea.  After the drawbridge and fortification is setup, I mine out above and channel, then build floors over the channel.  The magma flows into the chamber.  Once it is full I raise the drawbridge.  I now have a chamber full of magma which I can build magma forges over with zero risk of something pathing up through the magma sea into my fortress.  I am literally spending an extra 30 mins IRL time, and several more months in game time, just to prevent off chance a magma crab or a lava man comes up.
   I used to really do a lot of water distribution system in my fort, for baths, close hospital wells, mist generators, and deep underground farming.  With water systems I dig out all the connecting stairways, placing frequent hatches and flood gates before any water would flow through.  Any place water needs to come to, I use the diagonal channel trick, in addition to having "airlocks" of multiple floodgates, bridges and hatches. I dig off a sealed high level reservoir which stays sealed, to prevent a large quantity of pressurized water from being an issue, but I have it ready just in case I need water and I don't want to open my water system up to the outside.  The actual connection to the stream/river/brook has a fortification and a raising drawbridge to protect it as an entry point to the fort.  Once everything is in place and double checked, I would finally dig the channel to connect to the water source.  After one more check, then I would lower the first draw bridge and let the system actually work.  All of this would take several hours IRL and a year or two in game time.  Not quite a proper mega-project, but still pretty obsessive.
   For my surface structures, prior to the current 40.xx version, I would still make all my walls and structures multiple z-levels high to get myself prepared for the day when climbing would come.  I also make sure there are no easy 1-tile mining paths to my fortress, for the day when mining invaders come (soon).
   I build doors to all the coffins, even on maps with no raising dead, just in case.  My refuse piles are a much huger necromancer liability, but it is the coffins I pay attention to.
   I would tell myself all of these things were to keep my dwarfs safe, but I regularly have a military of only 5-6 dwarfs in fortresses of 80.  So really they are just OCD habits gradually accumulated.  Part roleplaying, part habits anticipating future changes, and a small part actual dwarf safety.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 10:07:26 pm »

I like to make steel, even though candy is far more effective and far more plentiful. It seems like cheating to skip over steel.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 10:28:16 pm »

I...

I honestly can't think of anything I do that's in knowing defiance of optimality.

...am I a minmaxer? :(
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:41 pm »

I...

I honestly can't think of anything I do that's in knowing defiance of optimality.

Do you obsessively optimize everything at the expense of enjoying the game?  I have that issue some of the time.

- Won.

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:57 pm »

I always put off military\metallurgy stuff until my farms, bedrooms, dining halls, workshops, and hospitals are finished or nearly there. It always seems a bother to try to smelt and forge stuff within the first 4 years when there's SO MUCH STUFF TO DO.

terko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 11:22:36 pm »

Channeling out a suitable area from surface to 3 or 4 levels deep to have above crops while underground farming. To complete it the whole area is getting floored over. It may be easier to simply put a wall around and put a floor over, but, this actually saves a few blocks for the wall.

I do it every time, and never use it for at least 3 or 4 years.
... what is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? ... what is a thought, compared to the mind? ... our unity is full of wonder which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive ... I've heard it all before ... you're saying nothing new ... I thought I saw a rainbow ... but I guess it wasn't true ... you cannot make me listen ... I cannot make you hear ... you find your way to heaven ... I'll meet you when you're there ...

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:24:55 pm »

I...

Do you obsessively optimize everything at the expense of enjoying the game?  I have that issue some of the time.
I don't think I've gone that far, actually. :D  It's probably because my utility function in the optimality analysis includes a large value for not wasting time.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 11:28:12 pm by Authority2 »
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 11:53:20 pm »

Instead of having a decent militia I use large teams coffin and slab makers.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 12:07:12 am »

Instead of having a decent militia I use large teams coffin and slab makers.
For normal levels of migrants with low levels of good weapon metals, this is actually the more efficient approach  ;D
Mass wood and bone crossbows, metal bolts, FTW

Although in terms of pure efficiency traps are best.  I am too prideful to exploit atom smashers, so instead I build two drawbridges 5 z-levels high with a small tower inbetween. I haven't tried it in the new version with the collision updates and all, but in the older DF2012 5 or so levels up was just right for crippling the goblins for my military to come and finish off...

- Won.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2014, 12:40:26 am »

I, too, make my fortress a civilian's paradise before I even start to organize a military. I dig out the facilities almost first thing, then they sit empty for three years before I actually set anything up besides the poorly equipped 4 man squad I have outside the surface entrance to distract nasties by being killed so I can raise the drawbridge. I get it up and running eventually, but I usually go through two or three such squads.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2014, 01:14:53 am »

I have a thing about one dwarf per job. Occasionally a couple more for certain jobs. So with the enormous amount of excess dwarves I get, I set to engraving and smooth the whole fort. Eventually, if I get too many of those, I send them down to smooth the whole caverns.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2014, 02:38:05 am »

I have SET_LABOR_LISTS:NO in init_d, because I hate fishing/hunting migrants wandering off and killing things, resulting in huge numbers of idle dwarves and unfinished jobs.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

XArgon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ATTACK_VERB:wink]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2014, 03:20:49 am »

I only place cage (or, occasionally, weapon traps) out in the open. Placing them in the hallways where the civilians are wandering all the time is just against all safety regulations, amirite? :) (Playing the trapper and placing them in the wilderness where anyone can occasionally wander is just better) :P

I also got the habit of making the fortress entry hallway more than 1 z-level high...
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11