Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway  (Read 24139 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2014, 03:42:51 am »

I still raise hundreds of birds to make bone/leather armor for everyone even though I know it impacts fps and I could just order leather from the merchants.

I must pierce an aquifer every game.  If I somehow accidentally hit stone without getting wet, I go back up and move over to try again.

Oh, and the only trade good I make is jewel encrusted mechanisms.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2014, 04:30:21 am »

Ever since I started using ramps, I never use stairs anymore in my forts, except maybe as the odd plumbing access shaft when building pumpstacks.
It does mean my fortress paths are not as optimal as they could be (longer distances than if I'd had used stairs), but it's so much prettier.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2014, 05:22:12 am »

I use 7x7 rooms for almost anything. I've been slowly getting away from doing things like 4 food stockpiles surrounded by 4 dining rooms in favour of one big stockpile next to one big dining room, but most of my industry floors are still pure 7x7.
No industry is set up until my miners are done digging all the related 7x7 rooms, e.g. no carpentry until there's at least one room for the workshops, one for the wood stockpile, one for the furniture outputs and one for the finished good outputs. Makes my early game slow as hell.
3x3, cross-shaped big hallways on every floor, no exceptions.

There's gotta be much more, but those are the ones I can remember now.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2014, 07:00:48 am »

I use 7x7 rooms for almost anything.
Are you a 2D veteran by any chance? I think it took me two whole releases to stop doing 7x7 rooms......
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2014, 08:00:13 am »

My rooms and corridors are all mouse drawn and as un-rectangular as possible.  It must be hell for pathfinding, but I can't bear to make orthogonal designed fortresses.  I think for mega-projects I might allow more deliberate, right-angled plans, but at least at the beginning of fortress life my dwarves are creating burrows in the ground which are excavated on the whims of necessity and so look as such.
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 09:00:04 am »

My stockpiles are almost never next to my workshops, and I don't use workshop profiles to prevent novice workers from making furniture when I have legendary ones.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 09:22:02 am »

I always make things out of lead. I have galena, and there's so much of it, and I need the silver, so I smelt loads of it. But then I have all this lead. So I make bins and minecarts out of it, even though it slows down everything.

I should make coffins out of it so they only have to be hauled once. Or statues as practice.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 09:45:09 am »

Are you a 2D veteran by any chance? I think it took me two whole releases to stop doing 7x7 rooms......
No, started on 40d. I think it was cptDuck's videos that introduced me to the art of 7x7, and mostly everything else I do to this day.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 10:31:49 am »

I use 11x11 shift-arrow key movement blocks. I also love octagons and repeating patterns.
Here's a fort I made quite a while back, if you click along it's POI you'll see what I mean.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-29879-sneakpreview
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2014, 12:33:49 pm »

Nothing I do is optimized. Well, other than paving dirt to avoid treesplosions, now. My dorfs are lucky to get wheelbarrows and socks. Or any other clothing.

But they have some sexi meeting halls and statue gardens and enough booze that nudity really isn't that big a deal.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 12:50:24 pm »

I use floodgates.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey the Fist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2014, 01:50:33 pm »

I abstain from putting a drawbridge at the gate. The fortress will be defende with dwarven steel and blood, when the Inevitable happens, so be it.

quekwoambojish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 02:53:57 pm »

I make militia patrol schedules with melee armed dwarves.

I understand ranged units are better at 'pretty much' killing most above ground creatures more safely...But in my head a fortress is not a fortress without a melee armed foot patrol.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »

Channeling out a suitable area from surface to 3 or 4 levels deep to have above crops while underground farming. To complete it the whole area is getting floored over. It may be easier to simply put a wall around and put a floor over, but, this actually saves a few blocks for the wall.

I do it every time, and never use it for at least 3 or 4 years.

Hmm, this seems like a pretty good idea actually. Keep your farmers all in one area.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Lasander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2014, 01:26:37 am »

All stone must be removed from a room before it can be used. 
The entire room must be smoothed before it can be used.
All input and output stockpiles must be setup before the workshop can be used.

These things are the reason I have trouble setting up my first carpentry workshop before the first caravan. 
Worship!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11