Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]

Author Topic: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway  (Read 24184 times)

Urist McPanzerbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Dementia: Non-optimal things you do anyway
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2014, 07:51:14 pm »

I never engrave floors. I know it increases the value of the room, but be serious now; my dwarves have enough misery in their lives without having to spend their lives walking over scenes of burning pachyderms and drowning goblins.
Hey, you sass that hoopy Urist McDwarf? There's a frood who really knows where his booze is.

Xingu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 28, 2014, 07:02:45 pm »

I have been playing for almost five years, but I've never taken the time to figure out how to use mine carts. I assume they are probably useful but I usually have idle dwarves so hauling isn't too big of an issue.

I also usually give each of my dwarves long rectangular rooms, usually about 3 by 10. I just can't stand my dwarves being being crammed into little rooms. I also give my nobles gigantic rooms that are completely smooved and engraved. Even though they don't actually do anything, they make me feel like I'm running a real city and not just a little outpost.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2014, 05:20:07 pm »

Along with the too-big bedrooms and the useless towers, I invariably spend wayyy too much time testing and redesigning intricate flooding traps only to be surprised by goblins earlier than expected and find my trapdoors don't actually work. This happens roughly 80% of the time, if there's running water on the surface. 50% if there's surface magma. The magma flooding my fortress entrance-first accounts for the other 50%. :(

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2014, 08:21:05 am »

I tend to hoard tame animals.

Also I tend to spread out my forts on 2-3 z-levels, or even one if I can (aka: soil and rock on the same z-level). It's just cleaner.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:24:10 am by Naryar »

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2014, 08:28:54 am »

I always dig a 20 z-level deep pit at my entrance, with one retractable bridge.
Them bones are not going to appear by themselves.
(Enabling Dwarves to eat and make use of humanoid corpses is also a thing I often do.)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2014, 05:05:43 pm »

I always dig a 20 z-level deep pit at my entrance, with one retractable bridge.
Them bones are not going to appear by themselves.
(Enabling Dwarves to eat and make use of humanoid corpses is also a thing I often do.)
In a similar fashion, you can always make 2 retractable bridges, and an airlock out of it, and do that 20-Z pit in between. Fit more volunteers for parachute-free BASE jumping. Or more specifically FORT jumping.

EDIT:
With that setup in the first spoiler, I also intended to make a minecart railgun to further torment my invaders. Shooting from the front door, down the line, and the arcing trajectory falls into the extension/catcher of my fort, independent from the ground (about (-1z)-(-3z) below the bridge approx 4-10 tiles away) to reload the minecart railgun directly. That minecart recovery stalactite also doubles as a sentry tower to pop off invaders from a distance with open ground separating my marksdwarves from the invaders.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:24:57 pm by Itnetlolor »

Snake Eyes

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2015, 06:21:43 pm »

-Dwarves have their names stripped from them; same with animals, if I have dfhack. (re.g. VAMP-M-21-34, ADV-ELF-F-001, DWRF-F-00-01, DOG-F-001)
-Rigid embark profiles (weapon/armorsmith, cave spider silk thread, dogs, cats, peabirds, pigs, iron anvil, seeds, drinks, some food, etc.)
-Rigid fortress designs (I call it a "heatsink" fortress due to the shape).
-Notes... down to what I traded for what, and the trader's mood/traders' profit margins on the specific day. (Great for tracking arrival/unloading/packing/departure times, and comparing the acceptable profit margins for the gullible elf traders to the greedy dwarf traders. Also great for me returning to old forts.)
-Sustainable resources: animals, sand, clay, water, magma, plants.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]