Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: time travel idea  (Read 622 times)

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
  • WERE GOING TO LIVE :)
    • View Profile
time travel idea
« on: July 24, 2014, 11:21:01 am »

I have an idea on how to time travel in dwarf fortress, you make a save state of the pressent and you can travel back to that. If you made two save states, what ever you do in the earliest one will have an affect on the later one, it just has to remember when and where on the map you set the later one and simulate the changed course in history up until the point in time and space you made the later state, and take you to the point in space of the later one... just hope that things have not changed too much and you dont get stuck inside a wall.
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.
quote above is by yuriruler90

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: time travel idea
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 12:04:20 pm »

Jesus what are you on.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 12:15:57 pm »

You know, this might actually work, especially with the new world gen code. The main problem would be determining when the save states are saved at. It wouldn't work as a mod, as the game stands (probably), but when more and more gets put out into Raws, this could be really interesting.
Jesus what are you on.
I don't know, but I think I might want some.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:17:32 pm by My Name is Immaterial »

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »

You know, this might actually work, especially with the new world gen code. The main problem would be determining when the save states are saved at. It wouldn't work as a mod, as the game stands (probably), but when more and more gets put out into Raws, this could be really interesting.
Jesus what are you on.
I don't know, but I think I might want some.
If i had a working computer, i might be able to do something....(i only have a tablet now)
Warning, doctor who reference and spoiler ahead
Omega! Help us discover the secrets of time travel! You shall be known throughout all of gallifrey and dwarfania for your your sacrifice into a singularity!
Edit. Oh Jesus Christ, Necro would be proud. The second horse in the caravan came in and immediately caught on fire. I looked into his inventory and found a burning pig tail fiber bag. Curious, I looked inside.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2014, 12:46:59 pm »

Time travel = much bigger CPU load = low FPS = no good
._.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2014, 01:26:11 pm »

Masterwork gnomes have a type of time travel. Not as advanced as this though.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

azrael300

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2014, 01:51:12 pm »

Time travel = much bigger CPU load = low FPS = no good

make a thought experiment, i dont think this method will make as big a cpu load as you describe it.

Edit: well,it maybe duringthe change in history simulation phase. But so does the world generation with gigantic worlds and 1000+ years of history. Lots of lag.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 03:05:14 pm by azrael300 »

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2014, 03:41:59 pm »

Once we are able to run the calender (continue history) without playing we should be able to do what you are talking about manually by continuing history after retiring/abandoning.