Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Is this a great idea and should be added in the next update

Yes
no...

Author Topic: New type of farming?  (Read 716 times)

Pwned dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New type of farming?
« on: August 17, 2014, 01:42:44 pm »

right now all plants die right after there harvested, while in real life some plants have fruit (strawberries) I want plants that can be harvested and then grow some more later. There would still be one time plants like wheat. Fertilizing makes it make more food

New skill: Gardener, the higher the skill the more often the plant produces fruit

Vermin change: vermin can now kill plants, only snails and you know can do this

Pollenating: to start to grow food a plant must be pollenated, different plants have different ways, some plants produce flowers, and to pollenate a bee must travel to one to another, others just need to be near another plant of its species

Death of a plant: there are 4 ways for a plant to die, 1. vermin 2. no gardener takes care of it for a while 3. tantruming dwarf destroys it 4. Dwarfs' best extremely hot agent of fun friend!

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New type of farming?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:19:10 pm »

I originally thought this was the point of garden vegetables (that have growths).  I really don't see hte point of having a separate gardener skill though, a farmer should be able to handle that. It would probably be best to put it in a separate farm plot so you can put in "tear up plants" or some such to switch if they would still fruit a bit more.

If anything, gardener could be for maintaining decorative gardens, which would also raise happiness (think skillfully maintained hedge gardens).  They'd be like sculpture gardens for plants, and could be a noble requirement (No king worth his salt lacks a properly maintained mushroom maze!)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:01:57 pm »

This is supposed to be what is happening with garden vegetables. Sadly, they're not finished yet, and Toady may or may not decide to flesh out the system.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »

Yeah... I noticed that the garden vegetables are supposed to fruit at specific times/seasons.  Berry bushes will flower in late spring to fruit in summer (they'll gain flowers, then gain berries).  When autumn hits they loose the berries.  I figured if you were to grow some, you'd have to leave them in the patch all year but harvest them several times a season to make it worth it.  Same with the various beans and other pod vegetables...  I think they fruit in fall? Since learning I couldn't make ANY use of them, I've been largely ignoring when they gain/loose growths.  At least the flour and amaranth based plants (along with the green leafies) are usable.  Dwarves still eat cabbage (and strawberry PLANTS oddly), but it can't be brewed.  Because of this, you can start a map that is entirely overrun with unbrewable garden vegetables.  Sure we can rely entirely on underground/old world crops... but it seriously nerfs the ability to use (even an untrained) herbalist to brew up a few batches of booze to save on embark points.  The great variety of above ground crops always interested me (I always had above ground farm set up).  I know the dwarves can get all the variety they need from the underground crops... but I want them to have 10 booze options, not 4! I can still grow dye and thread all year round with rope reed and blade weed, at least (should still have a few old world crops per map). 

As it stands, we can only gain pears from the dirty elves as we stare balefully at the pears sitting pretty as you please on the ground next to our depot.  I can just feel the elves smirking at us stupid dwarves... too stupid to realize we can pick fruit off the ground- yet alone get it from hte tree.  Its letting the elves win... ITS LETTING THE ELVES WIN! D: