Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non child/baby tag creatures having viable eggs...??  (Read 1149 times)

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non child/baby tag creatures having viable eggs...??
« on: July 24, 2014, 04:37:19 pm »

So, I looked around in the question threads and searched briefly too and didn't see this discussed. In the dev log there is this line:

allowed egg-laying critters without baby/child state to have viable eggs

How are you all interpreting this line? Is it that dragons, for example, will have eggs that can be fertile, despite having no child tags? Does that mean that a dragon hatches from an egg essentially full grown (just without the size of a 200 year old dragon)? So they'd pop out as a dragon and not as a dragon hatchling for intance? Thats my understanding of this anyways.

If so, no more need to mod dragons and the like to be able to breed them, for those who do not want to use a mod, or touch the raws themselves, which is cool for them (I probably will still do so, since I like having a dragon hatchling state for a little bit).

Anyone else have input? Probably a stupid question, but caught my eye at least. It could have interesting implications for lots of other potential creatures that didn't have child tags.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 04:39:24 pm by Walkaboutout »

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non child/baby tag creatures having viable eggs...??
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:34:55 pm »

Dragons may suddenly become much, much more prevalent.

If their eggs still hatch after 3 months, that means a lot of potential offspring.

I'm also not sure if this will benefit the Dwarven Meat industry. While the creatures are born adult, that's no guarantee their size will be sufficiently large to warrant butchering. More !!SCIENCE!! is needed.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non child/baby tag creatures having viable eggs...??
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:29:14 am »

They're more likely to be usable for trading and pets, rather than meat. Besides, it's a DRAGON. Why would you waste it on butchering? Everyone deserves a living flamethrower as a pet!