Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wrestling - Lifting, Carrying, Restraining.  (Read 1894 times)

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wrestling - Lifting, Carrying, Restraining.
« on: July 24, 2014, 08:54:17 pm »

It would be nice to open up more options in wrestling combat, in particular I find my self wanting to fill a room with angry crabs because I am a cruel and strange person.

Lifting
After an opponent is grabbed I would like to [provided I am strong and large enough] lift the opponent off the ground, from here it would be nice to move, drop, throw or take-down the creature.
This is distinct from regular throwing in that regular throwing seems to me to be a martial throw, making use of leverage and skill, while this is a pure test of strength. The creature once lifted could then struggle unless KO'd.

Carrying
I really just want to fill someones house with crabs, ravens, vampires, elephants, undead hands, and other common household pests, as such I would like to be able to carry a lifted creature provided it is unable to escape, this could take the form of being KO'd, or being restrained.

Restraining
Got some rope or chains? Put em to use and tie up a creature, or alternatively tie the creature to something. A restrained creature while very upset would be unable to struggle if it could not break the restraints, and thus could be carried some distance.

P.S. If my demands are not met I may or may not fill Toady's house up with rope bound Turtles. Alternatively I will cry about it on the internet.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wrestling - Lifting, Carrying, Restraining.
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:21:16 pm »

what next?
Climbers tying themselves to one another and hooks to prevent a disastrous fall?
Children swirling cats around by their tails? or perhaps by a cleverly applied rope in case the tail has already expired?
Ogres tearing people in half by pulling their foot after having tied another foot to a tree with a chain?
Tame giant juggling three dancing dwarf maidens on a fair?
The possibilities are so numerous and tempting, but deep inside i know that we have to stop somewhere...

Swonnrr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:36:04 am »

I really want the option to carry peoples, though.
And if possible in a non-hostile way. It would be nice if I could drag my bleeding/ko/broken companions out of the fire to heal in safety.
I also wants to lift/carry peoples... Mostly to throw people off cliffs and these elves off their trees.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 01:46:01 am »

what next?
Climbers tying themselves to one another and hooks to prevent a disastrous fall?
Children swirling cats around by their tails? or perhaps by a cleverly applied rope in case the tail has already expired?
Ogres tearing people in half by pulling their foot after having tied another foot to a tree with a chain?
Tame giant juggling three dancing dwarf maidens on a fair?
The possibilities are so numerous and tempting, but deep inside i know that we have to stop somewhere...
I don't think any of the things in the OP are remotely slippery-slope-y.  There are no 3-D graphics in the game or anything. It's probably a fairly simple matter of "Oh hey, you're carrying this dude now" in text + a line of code or two to make him auto-move along with you. Etc.

And carrying people would indeed be definitely awesome enough to be worthwhile. As are chained prisoners. And arguing with a feature allowing you to throw elves out of trees in particular is nearly heresy.

By contrast, AI children doing rope-leveraged cat swinging is the next galaxy over in terms of realistic concerns over where this might lead >.> Come on.

A+ thumbs up from me! Would be suggested to again!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 01:47:58 am by GavJ »
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 01:56:21 am »

actually I'd like to see all of these in, rather than nothing. Lifting/carrying/dragging people is certainly plan but once it's in how will we be able to survive without juggling people and swinging them aroundby their tails?

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 08:31:24 am »

I see a bright future, and it is dwarfs preforming attack manuevers and stunts that would make the folks at WWE proud (because the dwarfs would actually be REALLY REAL WRESTLING, as opposed to wwe...).
But yeah, i agree with nanomage here.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 10:10:01 am »

*stuffs 10 live humans into backpack of holding* 8) Awesome

Edit: Forgets to feed them...

Tries to storm necro-tower...

Backpack reanimates and zombies climb out of backpack!

:o !!FUN!!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 10:11:59 am by YAHG »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 11:46:38 am »

While i may be thinking waaay too far ahead of myself, i'm starting imagine that with a crapload of combat additions and  characters modded to be superhuman and super-agile, that you'd probably end up with rather wacky really cool combat scenes in lieu of the stick fighting stuff by Hyun...
Okay yeah, i'm definitely getting ahead of myself, but the underlying mechanics of a system and the physical interactions that could make such a thing possible would make lower level combat a lot more palpable as well, i'm thinking.

_elf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 07:26:13 pm »

It would be nice to open up more options in wrestling combat, in particular I find my self wanting to fill a room with angry crabs because I am a cruel and strange person.

Lifting
After an opponent is grabbed I would like to [provided I am strong and large enough] lift the opponent off the ground, from here it would be nice to move, drop, throw or take-down the creature.
This is distinct from regular throwing in that regular throwing seems to me to be a martial throw, making use of leverage and skill, while this is a pure test of strength. The creature once lifted could then struggle unless KO'd.

^This would be very nice. A lifting throw like ura nage or German suplex can involve a nice slam to produce more damage.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 07:28:30 pm by _elf »

Voxus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 02:10:15 pm »

Well there you go, like 8 or whatever (as if I'm going to count) people said it was a good idea so now Toady has to do it by law right? I'm going to go tell the angry crabs of my success.

Edit: The angry crabs told me "It was inevitable."

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 10:38:32 pm »

Have you put this in eternal voting yet?

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 09:26:09 am »

In addition to the OP ideas, and throwing Elves out of trees, I'd like to see intelligent creatures use their surrounding in combat.  Rather than hard-code in an endless list of martial-arts-movie stunts, it might be easier to give mundane objects explicit attacks in the raws (which presupposed that those things are in the raws...) and just keep adding to them over time.

Urist McDebtCollector smashed Urist McBehindOnHisBills's left hand under the millstone!
Urist McPerfectTiming slammed the +Steel Door+ on the crundle's head, tearing the muscle!
Urist McOnBreak trapped the badger under an empty *Fungiwood Barrel*!
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map