Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting rid of migrants?  (Read 1018 times)

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Getting rid of migrants?
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:45:08 pm »

Hello,

i would like to know how i could get rid of the migrant waves? I'm quite new to DF, so i can barely handle my 50 dwarfs already but the waves won't just stop coming.

I tried to kill them by creating a squad, put everyone in and moved them under my bridge and pulled the lever... but now i got an annoying ghost.  :o

Is there a way to kill every single one of them in a clean way without any ghosts remaining and without destroying the loot?   :'(

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
Re: Getting rid of migrants?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:50:27 pm »

Hiya,

If you go into the data folder, then the init subfolder, and open the d_init.txt file, near the bottom is an option to change the [POPULATION_CAP].  Set it to a number less than what you have, but keep in mind that it won't take effect until the next dwarven caravan/liaison leaves your map.

-Dame de la Licorne
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:54:06 pm »

Hey,

thank you for the answer. Well, i hoped that i don't really need to cheat for my problem. :/
I'm also very greedy, so i want their damn stuff  :D

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 01:00:20 pm »

If you don't really care about the items, you can still squash them with bridges - memorializing the ghosted dwarf on a slab will get rid of the ghost for you.

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:50 pm »

Once they arrive simpple place and lock them in a seperate room acessible from the outside and let them finnish themself without food and water.
With luck a Goblin invasion arrives, then you can open that door, close your fort and watch the show.

A truely bad way to go for them but with that all you need is coffins for them to prevent ghosts.

BesorgterZwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:19:38 pm »

Stupid me, this really would be the easiest way, thank you.  :-*

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »

Hey,

thank you for the answer. Well, i hoped that i don't really need to cheat for my problem. :/
I'm also very greedy, so i want their damn stuff  :D
It seems like you're interpreting the suggestions as cheating, but it's not cheating. Those files are actually the settings where you change other stuff like maximum fps and graphical tilesets.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Extreme Boyheat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 10:17:09 pm »

Yeah the popcap is an option that many people use for various reasons.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 11:23:38 pm »

The game's pop cap is designed to be readily adjustable so players can change it to fit their computer's processing power. It's the reason it can be found in the init folder with a lot of other common settings that also effect FPS. Dwarves are themselves the single greatest performance drain in the game so one of the most important ways to ensure your game keeps running decently is know the population limits you can get away with on a given machine.

Killing off mass amounts of immigrants will cause a few different problematic side effects. Assuming you are playing the new version of the game you will undermine the entire civilization your fortress belongs to as you kill off their citizens in large numbers each year. Another issue you have run across is disposing of the dead which can create ghosts and unhappy thoughts in your dwarves who are exposed to the corpses of their brethren. The final is issue is if the immigrants include family memebers of dwarves within your fort then they will suffer a VERY sever negative thought if they find out about the death of their kin.

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2014, 08:23:10 pm »

If you don't want to edit the raws, just make sure to don't produce too much wealth! I think that the distance between a dwarven civilization and your fortress helps with dealing with them too. It's not going to reduce the migration number, but it will reduce the rate! (If i'm right)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 07:49:43 am »

Editing d_init.txt is not the same as editing the raws.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz