Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: DF needs more LATE game challenges (with lots of examples of solutions)  (Read 6699 times)

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks!  I like bay12 forums, they are pretty chill.  A lot of other people would have just got more pissed, having the self awareness to catch yourself is more important that avoiding miscommunication in the first place.
Yeah, if you do want to describe issue with late game challenge ideas more, I will definitely use that to make the ideas better.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile

One interesting possibility might be to upgrade various dwarves' hopes & dreams to the point where they become biological imperatives, operating in a way roughly similar to moods. To ensure that this is a late-game event, it could depend on the fort's reaching the effective artifact cap: The existing trigger for moods would always continue to fire, but if the fort is already at the temporary "limit" for artifacts, then instead of going into a strange mood & creating a masterful example of their craft, a random dwarf will flip out and achieve their goals by any means necessary.

A dwarf who dreams of ruling the world would probably try to assassinate a noble, and take his place. Suddenly, wealthy dwarves employing bodyguards makes sense.
A dwarf who dreams of seeing the great natural wonders of the world might suddenly grab a pick, and head generally downwards, aiming to breach a cavern or die trying. Hold on to your butt, overseer.
A dwarf who dreams of marrying & raising a family might abduct a likely "spouse," drag them back to their room, and break their limbs so they can't escape. Prepare for wailing & gnashing of teeth as the abducted dwarf's actual relatives go apeshit.
If they dream of creating a masterwork/great work of art, they'd probably work much the same as a regular moody dwarf building an artifact, except that they won't be content with anything less than the very most expensive materials they can possibly lay their hands on. Hope you enjoy your adamantine ring, encrusted with faint yellow diamond and spikes of dragon bone.
A dwarf who dreams of achieving world peace is likely to lay in wait near an important lever, so he can lower the drawbridge and go surrender to the goblins, on behalf of the entire fort.

AND MORE!
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

3) Mountainhome demands. I couldn't agree more with this. My current fort is sitting on a HUGE reserve of magnetite & hematite, while my home civilization has apparently NO other access to iron. (They have steel, oddly enough, but no actual iron.) My site could very well have been founded for the express purpose of being our nation's iron mine. Why the hell do Mountainhomes not demand an annual tribute of X amount of Y good [to which your fort has reasonably plentiful access]? The trade liaison should deliver a list of imperatives, not requests. The penalty for not meeting these requirements would be an invasion from your own civilization, whose army sweeps into your fort and . . . abducts some of your Legendary workers. (What, did you think they were going to do you a favor by demoting your noble, or killing a few useless children?)
Mountainhomes can go screw themselves. If i don't get the option for my fort to become a belligerent colony and become it's own entity poised harshly against the mountainhomes due to stupidly made demands (let's be honest, demands made from ANY noble, ever, which means demands from mountainhomes, is going to have rather stupid requests at times), then i'll be rather annoyed about the ceremonious and rather unavoidable domination of pretty much everything i've built up to in any fort that can't keep up with demands.
I guess starting war against the mountainhome can cause some some unrest, BUT, there is still the likely possibility of inspiring militancy against the homeland using well written propaganda and well-placed "unfortunate accidents" which will be conveniently blamed on representatives of the mountainhomes, if the dwarves become advanced enough to care who i'm going at war with that is.
Really though, if ANYBODY is going to have the gall to make demands and threats against my fortress, then quite frankly i'd like the option to take the highest retaliation. Perhaps i'm an overly emotional and possessive god-overseer, but eh.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One interesting possibility might be to upgrade various dwarves' hopes & dreams to the point where they become biological imperatives, operating in a way roughly similar to moods. To ensure that this is a late-game event, it could depend on the fort's reaching the effective artifact cap: The existing trigger for moods would always continue to fire, but if the fort is already at the temporary "limit" for artifacts, then instead of going into a strange mood & creating a masterful example of their craft, a random dwarf will flip out and achieve their goals by any means necessary.

It doesn't even have to be a biological imperative.  It could work similar to the existing necromancy secret behavior in world gen.  Given enough traumatic events of the right kind, the ordinary goal becomes something unnatural.
A dwarf who dreams of finding love after enough traumatic rejections decides to research a way of forcing it and events a dark magical mind control method.  The player could let it progress (and deal with a dwarf suddenly warpign every existing relationship) or declare them an enemy of the fort and try to kill them (and deal with a dwarf who can gain instant allies).
A dwarf who dreams of becoming a great warrior grow impatient after his comrade soldiers are killed over and over again researchs a secret martial arts technique.
Hmm... late game (once artifact cap is reached), the game could search out the most traumatized dwarf closest to having their goal go abnormal and then push them over the edge.

Mountainhomes can go screw themselves. If i don't get the option for my fort to become a belligerent colony and become it's own entity poised harshly against the mountainhomes due to stupidly made demands (let's be honest, demands made from ANY noble, ever, which means demands from mountainhomes, is going to have rather stupid requests at times), then i'll be rather annoyed about the ceremonious and rather unavoidable domination of pretty much everything i've built up to in any fort that can't keep up with demands.
I guess starting war against the mountainhome can cause some some unrest, BUT, there is still the likely possibility of inspiring militancy against the homeland using well written propaganda and well-placed "unfortunate accidents" which will be conveniently blamed on representatives of the mountainhomes, if the dwarves become advanced enough to care who i'm going at war with that is.
Really though, if ANYBODY is going to have the gall to make demands and threats against my fortress, then quite frankly i'd like the option to take the highest retaliation. Perhaps i'm an overly emotional and possessive god-overseer, but eh.
Yeah there should definitely be options for a player, no railroading.  But refusing Mountainhome demands should definitely require some careful planning to pull off without any disruptions.

- Won.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Sudden thought, if the player takes control of an insurrection instead of the nobles of the fort, but they make decisions bad enough such that the participants of the insurrection start an insurrection against the insurrecting entity...
It's insurrections all the way down!

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Mnjiman, if you still did have concerns that were simply misunderstood, I'd still like to hear them rephrased or whatever if they're still issues.

I think mountainhome demands are a great idea, and continue to be a good idea even if you have the option of telling them to screw themselves. Which I agree is an option you should have.
It still gives you an interesting choice of "take the probably easier, compliant road, or create a bit of a crisis for yourself by dealing with rebellion suppression incoming and loyalist dwarves of yours getting pissed off" Though if the demands are ridiculous, the rebellion road might be easier too not just fun.

Political intrigues in general fit the bill of the thread pretty nicely, probably, yeah.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey. Been hovering around the forums for a bit and never felt the need to post. However, I found this topic interesting enough where I felt the need to actually post something massive. Anyway, that aside there were a few points here from the overall discussion I just wanted to highlight with my thoughts on them.

1. Diseases and Animal Diseases/Blights/etc.

First of all, I love this idea. I like having to treat the illnesses for the dwarfs. I love the idea of having certain diseases or parasites target a specific kind of crop or animal to make it risky to specialize in limited number of food sources. I don't like the idea someone suggested of more ways to have stored food go bad, simply because I think there is enough ways already. Outside food rot and the abilities of certain vermin (like a knuckle worm) to rot food (or even steal food) make it almost unnecessary in my personal opinion.

I do have some large concerns that the current health care system isn't good enough or extensive enough to deal with it as it is currently constituted. We can take some precautionary measures but it would still be very hard to deal with, especially with how hard it is to keep everything clean. While the point was made that this accurately reflects 14th century Europe, I would prefer to have the option to allow foresight to prevent some of that, as well as more options on how to handle it. I'm not asking for an antibiotic pill to solve all my problems, but maybe more primitive or tribal methods might be ok. Perhaps there could be a herb or something could help with certain diseases. Maybe chicken soup can combat the symptoms of a common cold. Maybe we can use the colonial treatment of leaches to get the blood flowing. There are a number of interesting methods that have been used by ancient Greek and Roman doctors. Etc. I would think we would need the healthcare system to be straightened out before this was implemented. But assuming that the health care system gives us more options and gets straightened out a bit better, illness and blights would be a very nice feature.

My other main concern is that the chances for it happening may be too random. There would be nothing worse than to have a random catastrophic plague that wipes you out in year 2 or 3 before you would even have the chance to make any meaningful preparations. I like the idea someone had of of calling it illness, rather than plague, so that we could have varying degrees and most wouldn't be quite so deadly especially early on. I think that, as with most large disasters we are discussing of this nature, the chances of a severe plague happening should be miniscule to none at first and then go up exponentially as time goes on. That way we have the ability to set up the fortress AND make preparations to counter it. Also, maybe certain conditions would be more responsible for some of the worst illnesses. Like if you had a problem controlling the rats (I know it was technically the fleas on rats but there's no need to make it that complex for the engine) and the rat population went out of control, that might exponentially increase the chances of a plague like event. But you could likely prevent such a thing from happening if you had your cats to hunt vermin and control the population. Or near evil areas, maybe the chances for diseases would be greater. For instance, the demon rats might have their own form of plague. Blood gnats may increase the chances of getting another type of disease. Maybe Acorn flies from savage areas could carry their own disease. I also like the idea of waterborn diseases making your water supply harder to manage. I also think there should be a much rarer chance of an airborne disease as that is the most contagious and hardest to prevent.

All these factors could make evil areas or wet areas more prone to certain diseases. Water could be a platform for waterborn diseases and parasites, and those stagnant pools in particularly applicable areas could be a platform for blood gnats, acorn flies, etc. This balances out the advantages of a wet climate having more easy access to water with the potential for even more disease. I'm also all for adding the extra challenge of making sure you water supply is clean and not contaminated. I also think it makes sense that evil areas (or savage areas with pools) would be more likely to have certain diseases due to the nature of them.

2. About Weather.

I am fascinated by weather, would always be in favor of more weather, and love the idea of adding more severe weather. But there should probably be seasons where the more severe weather tends to happen. Maybe a strong tornado would be most likely to happen in temperate grasslands, and would most likely occur during a specific time (late spring to mid summer) instead of year round. A sandstorm would be more likely occur in the summer heat of a sandy desert. (This is realistic) A dust storm might occur in a drought, or during the dry season of a tropical plains area. A hurricane would appear on the edge of a tropical ocean during the months that would be equivalent to late summer and early fall in more temperate climate (as I believe the seasons in tropical areas are dry and wet and not the temperate four seasons) and would not occur during what would be considered winter months in temperate climates.

This also brings the subject of adding more evil weather. I love how evil weather already works in the game, but I think it should be expanded on. Adding onto the disease topic, when evil rain inflicts syndromes on your dwarfs, those syndromes can also sometimes be the result of a disease from the evil rain which can spread. Other times it would just be the rain itself (like maybe acid rain) which inflicted the syndrome. I also think that evil rain should have the ability to contaminate the water supply instead of just making it so murky pools won't refill. There is already the need to wash certain evil weather off, so that could be something for the healthcare system. I think the main problem with evil rain/clouds is that it often reflects a climate with at least some moisture and above freezing temperatures. (With the exception of dust clouds) I suggest adding variations in evil weather for dry climates or even droughts and dry seasons. Maybe an evil dust cloud during the dry season instead have evil rain during the wet season? And maybe evil snow for freezing climates or winter in temperate/cold climates? Maybe evil lightning for more variety?

The main problem with weather as a challenge, though, is that you could seal yourself off from most of it. Most dwarf fortresses are largely underground anyway. Unless there was a major flooding component that extended underground, there wouldn't be much late game challenge for the experienced player. But I still think it would be cool to implement along side other things that have consequences for sealing yourself in. So then you have to pick your poison. Do you seal yourself in from the weather and risk being vulnerable to things that more greatly effect an isolated fortress, or do you try to manage the exposure with the weather patterns? Maybe you only seal yourself in during certain seasons when the weather is too violent?

3. Volcanoes, Fault Lines, and Risk/Reward.

I do like this idea. However, I'm wondering what type of volcanic eruptions we are talking about. Is this the slower flowing magma of a Hawaii type volcano? Is this the kind of volcano that just spout some smoke and ash in the air and isn't too violent? Or is the the Mt. Saint Helens kind of eruption that destroys everything in the area. Or maybe it is the destroy the world super volcano kind of eruption like the one under Yellowstone. Perhaps there should be different kinds of volcanoes with different types of eruptions. The calmer ones may erupt more often while the more severe ones only erupt on very rare occasions.

I do like the idea of a risk/reward thing with these. For example, a fault line or volcano should give you much higher chances to find valuable ores and minerals and such. And it may not even be uncommon to find what would normally be much deeper ores and such closer to the surface when a fault line or volcano is near. But, more easily accessible wealth would come at the risk of earthquakes or eruptions (and possibly earthquakes) in the case of volcanoes. I think the same risk/reward system could be applied for a lot of things. If the risk of being near a tropical ocean is a much higher (and more frequent) chance of a hurricane, then perhaps the reward of being near one would be valuable pearls that couldn't be found in other oceans? Maybe tropical reefs provide a benefit? The advantage of being in a wet climate is access to plenty of water, at the expense of being exposed to more waterborn diseases and parasites. Etc.

And as with my take on most serious diseases, I think the chances of more severe earthquakes, eruptions, and disasters like that should be miniscule to none at first and then increase over time. And then after the catastrophic event happens, the probability of it happening again goes down to zero or close to it for awhile. And then the chances would rise again with time. For instance, a fault line often goes decades or even centuries between severe earthquakes. However, minor rumbling is a lot more common. So more minor versions of them may be more common as they are easier to deal with. And then certain weather disasters such as tornadoes are much more likely to happen every year, yet only tend to occur during certain seasons in certain climates.

4. Also, I had a question based on something I read here...

I heard about methods to prepare for things from going through solid walls if no less dangerous path was available. Just out of curiosity, what measures would you take to prevent that from happening? I ask because, currently, all my forts are designed with the concept that almost nothing too bad can get through a solid wall. I typically have one main pathway full of traps leading to the outside which can be sealed off in multiple ways, and block off the rest with solid walls. This includes walling off any underground threats I may find until and unless I feel like dealing with it. When this inevitably becomes inadequate, I have the sinking feeling I might be screwed.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I do have some large concerns that the current health care system isn't good enough or extensive enough to deal with it as it is currently constituted. We can take some precautionary measures but it would still be very hard to deal with, especially with how hard it is to keep everything clean. While the point was made that this accurately reflects 14th century Europe, I would prefer to have the option to allow foresight to prevent some of that, as well as more options on how to handle it.

I would be totally down with things like leeches and such forth that were actually used. There's definitely a lot to the contemporary healthcare that isn't in DF now, but could be, and would help provide more options. As well as being realistic (leech bleeding people, for example, definitely actually works to reduce fevers and do pretty much what they expected it to do. It might not be as effective as acetaminophen, but it works).

My other main concern is that the chances for it happening may be too random. There would be nothing worse than to have a random catastrophic plague that wipes you out in year 2 or 3 before you would even have the chance to make any meaningful preparations.
Yes absolutely. I think it would be reasonable for ALL of the things in this thread to have artificial delays to them to let you get ready.

Dwarf fortress already does this for invasions - you don't get sieges in year 1. What's the logical explanation for this? Nothing, really. It's just for gameplay purposes. And I think the same logic should be applied to all the rest. You just simply couldn't get plagues and other things until later in your fort (unless you set optional RAW files to request them to strike any time)

Unless there was a major flooding component that extended underground, there wouldn't be much late game challenge
How about heavy rainstorms have a chance of temporarily adding more aquifer layers to the map? Then they get removed in the dry season.
Not random layers. But thicker and thinner where they already exist (and where rock strata makes sense for it).

I do like this idea. However, I'm wondering what type of volcanic eruptions we are talking about.
If and when actual plate tectonics are in the game, then the answer to your question would be determined by the actual geology. Slow flowing (like Hawaii) = what happens when you have mafic rock, usually at divergent plate boudnaries, which happens almost exclusively at sea. But occasionally at continental fault lines, especially the breakup of supercontinents.

Felsic rock is stickier and holds in gases that build up pressure and those account for explosive reactions which rain rock and fire and ash, like Mt. St. Helens.. These are usually volcanoes where the magma had to rise up through a lot of rock to get to the volcano, and thus became felsic (and therefore stickier and more explosive) via various processes like fractional crystallization and assimilation.

I heard about methods to prepare for things from going through solid walls if no less dangerous path was available. Just out of curiosity, what measures would you take to prevent that from happening?
IIRC, the idea was they only do that if they don't have an easier method available. If they do, they'll attack normally. So you can avoid by keeping your front door open and not just hiding and turtling in your dark corner. I.e. it sort of forces you to meet invaders with military and such, and not just hiding underground because if you do, you're just making it worse for yourself. Which also, incidentally, addresses some of your concerns about weather.

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

Shadow Of Fate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would be totally down with things like leeches and such forth that were actually used. There's definitely a lot to the contemporary healthcare that isn't in DF now, but could be, and would help provide more options. As well as being realistic (leech bleeding people, for example, definitely actually works to reduce fevers and do pretty much what they expected it to do. It might not be as effective as acetaminophen, but it works).

Sounds good.

Yes absolutely. I think it would be reasonable for ALL of the things in this thread to have artificial delays to them to let you get ready.

Dwarf fortress already does this for invasions - you don't get sieges in year 1. What's the logical explanation for this? Nothing, really. It's just for gameplay purposes. And I think the same logic should be applied to all the rest. You just simply couldn't get plagues and other things until later in your fort (unless you set optional RAW files to request them to strike any time)

Actually, I wouldn't mind certain illnesses brought by certain conditions to be a potential exception to this. Going back to my rat example, the chance for a plague like event may spike much earlier if the rat population goes out of control. Something so specific, tangible, and easily preventable could also be a factor for potential earlier plagues if mismanaged.

How about heavy rainstorms have a chance of temporarily adding more aquifer layers to the map? Then they get removed in the dry season.
Not random layers. But thicker and thinner where they already exist (and where rock strata makes sense for it).

I like this idea. I think it accurately reflects what could be a temporarily increased or overwhelmed water table. It's not just random flooding but well located flooding.

If and when actual plate tectonics are in the game, then the answer to your question would be determined by the actual geology. Slow flowing (like Hawaii) = what happens when you have mafic rock, usually at divergent plate boudnaries, which happens almost exclusively at sea. But occasionally at continental fault lines, especially the breakup of supercontinents.

Felsic rock is stickier and holds in gases that build up pressure and those account for explosive reactions which rain rock and fire and ash, like Mt. St. Helens.. These are usually volcanoes where the magma had to rise up through a lot of rock to get to the volcano, and thus became felsic (and therefore stickier and more explosive) via various processes like fractional crystallization and assimilation.

Interesting. I do like this idea. Perhaps this also might be a chance to add a different kind of volcano. For instance, there is a volcano in Africa called Ol Doinyo Lengai which has a Natrocarbonatite lava which appears black. If the geology of the world that decided on the type of volcano was based on the kind of rocks found near them, then conceivably things like that could also exist. That opens all kinds of doors.

IIRC, the idea was they only do that if they don't have an easier method available. If they do, they'll attack normally. So you can avoid by keeping your front door open and not just hiding and turtling in your dark corner. I.e. it sort of forces you to meet invaders with military and such, and not just hiding underground because if you do, you're just making it worse for yourself. Which also, incidentally, addresses some of your concerns about weather.

I see. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey. Been hovering around the forums for a bit and never felt the need to post. However, I found this topic interesting enough where I felt the need to actually post something massive. Anyway, that aside there were a few points here from the overall discussion I just wanted to highlight with my thoughts on them.
I have a hard time writing short suggestions posts because I always want to develop and clarify ideas.

My other main concern is that the chances for it happening may be too random. There would be nothing worse than to have a random catastrophic plague that wipes you out in year 2 or 3 before you would even have the chance to make any meaningful preparations.
I actually think I heard the invasions got changed with the latest version and now if you embark close enough to a hostile site you can manage to get invasions within the first year (I haven't played enough 40.xx to be sure yet).  But it is still uncommon because of the travel times for armies and the conditions to get invaded normally.  I think diseases could be moderated early results by similar emergent results of the basic mechanics of infection.  If early forts only get migrants directly from the Mountainhome and no filthy vagrants or hillocks dwarfs, then it would be reasonably realistic for the Mountainhome to screen its migrants and no infectious diseases to come in that way (thus ensuring that diseases won't be a threat until travelers and migrants not from the Mountainhome come by).  Likewise, the low population of an early fort will reduce the risk of disease (less chances for a dwarf to catch it from any of the on map plague vectors).

The main problem with weather as a challenge, though, is that you could seal yourself off from most of it. Most dwarf fortresses are largely underground anyway. Unless there was a major flooding component that extended underground, there wouldn't be much late game challenge for the experienced player. But I still think it would be cool to implement along side other things that have consequences for sealing yourself in. So then you have to pick your poison. Do you seal yourself in from the weather and risk being vulnerable to things that more greatly effect an isolated fortress, or do you try to manage the exposure with the weather patterns? Maybe you only seal yourself in during certain seasons when the weather is too violent?
Yeah I think sealing in is definitely the easy way out with a large number of challenges, so setting up mechanics to punish it, or at least add challenges related to it, will be necessary.

I heard about methods to prepare for things from going through solid walls if no less dangerous path was available. Just out of curiosity, what measures would you take to prevent that from happening?
I already design my fortress around a central stairwell and have doors at every connection to that stairwell.  I can thus seal off a level by locking the doors.  This obviously won't hold tunneling invaders for long, but I could rally my army into position with the time it bought me (+the time it took to dig the tunnel).  Also, siege engines/construction destroying creatures should take time to rip walls apart.  A well designed surface wall or tower will have battlements (to provide angles for arrows) and murder holes (for directly dropping).  The game needs support for murder holes added (technically doable now with dumping, but tricky), but battlements are just an extra architectural feature for the player to build with existing constructions.  Thus even pure turtling is okay if the player does it realistically with lots of defensive architectural features to enable 12 crossbow dwarfs and 2 siege operators to break a siege of 100+, turtling as it is now though, requires none of this.

As to volcanoes, I think the major limit on variety will be FPS.  Fast explosions can be okay, because they can be abstracted into one massive laggy event.  Slow lava flow is okay too, because it can use the current fluids framework.  Fast lava flow might not be doable with a good FPS.

- Won.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Actually... I do think invasions can now strike earlier now that the world has been activated, as your site is just a valid target as all the rest as soon word gets out of it's existence. I've been hearing bits about people getting ambushes as early as first summer, even!
I think for these natural disasters, there could be an embark warning if one is detected to occur imminently, or if at least if there is some sign of such.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually think I heard the invasions got changed with the latest version and now if you embark close enough to a hostile site you can manage to get invasions within the first year
I thought that was a bug. Due to the 2 week advancement things (like, the delay was based on the calendar before which unintentionally broke it when he changed the start dates to be variable). I hope so at least. It was/is a good feature.

Anywho, at the very least, yeah have stuff early on, but minor (colds and such for diseases, babysnatchers for invasions) ramp up to major later (choleras and mounted troops, respectively).

As to volcanoes, I think the major limit on variety will be FPS.
...what's with everybody assuming volcanoes are an FPS drain? Nobody has even proposed any specifics... what are you basing that on?
You can do volcanoes anywhere from no effect on FPS up to completely impossible drags.

For example, pyroclastic flows can move up to 100km/h or so. Which is fast enough that given the speed of DF events, it would literally, realistically, sweep across a typical 4x4 embark in one game tick. In other words, you don't need to model flow and spread. You can just have superhot deadly rocks appear all at once, which isn't very FPS intensive at all.

Warning might come in the form of minor earthquakes, and perhaps a simple announcement indicating the visible eruption beyond the edge of the map to give you a brief window of time?

Smaller ash then falls like rain, only needing to change a few tiles at a time also with no complicated flow dynamics

Just throwing out example thoughts -- I don't think it's worth worrying about optimization unless this is a lot closer to reality.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I actually think I heard the invasions got changed with the latest version and now if you embark close enough to a hostile site you can manage to get invasions within the first year
I thought that was a bug. Due to the 2 week advancement things (like, the delay was based on the calendar before which unintentionally broke it when he changed the start dates to be variable). I hope so at least. It was/is a good feature.
On the embark screen, when you are selecting locations TAB changes the view (elevation, cliffs, etc.).  Change the view to civilizations, and then make sure hostile civs are not nearby (right now it only order the civs by distance and indicates if they are at war with no other information).  It limits your location choice, but you can play it safe if you really want to (it should give more information as realism permits).  But I do agree that summer invasions are a little much.  There should probably be a mechanic for information about your fort to take time to spread, so the armies don't know to invade you in the first place.

As to volcanoes, I think the major limit on variety will be FPS.
...what's with everybody assuming volcanoes are an FPS drain? Nobody has even proposed any specifics... what are you basing that on?
You can do volcanoes anywhere from no effect on FPS up to completely impossible drags.

For example, pyroclastic flows can move up to 100km/h or so. Which is fast enough that given the speed of DF events, it would literally, realistically, sweep across a typical 4x4 embark in one game tick. In other words, you don't need to model flow and spread. You can just have superhot deadly rocks appear all at once, which isn't very FPS intensive at all.
Yeah, the point I was trying to make is that volcano eruptions will probably have to abstracted in some way for the big and/or fast eruptoins.  Modeling flow and spread with the current fluid mechanics will almost certainly be too much.  A few warning sign, followed by instant superheated clouds covering all the exposed areas of the map, and reaching limited distances into unexposed areas could work.  If the flow is small enough, slow enough, and has viscosity equivalent to water, the current fluid system would work.  I don't have any ideas for high volume lava eruptions with variable viscosity though.  (The current fluid model has no modeling for viscosity, and lags too much at high volumes) This is suggestions forum, so I pointed out the problem so we could bounce ideas off.  Let's see, for really high viscosity lava, modeling the viscosity could be as simple as updating its flow to only 1/2 or 1/4 the speed of regular water.  If this is achieved by only modeling its movement 1/4 or 1/2 as often as water, then it also saves on lag by that much.

- Won.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I definitely agree with the sentiments of this suggestion thread. We could certainly use some solid late game challenges. Of the OP's suggestions the ones I liked a lot include the natural disaster style events. Some of them might be quite difficult to implement such as volcanism, but disease outbreaks could use many preexisting mechanics.

I've always thought we could use some late game threats that can circumvent our invulnerable halls of death in some manner or another. Simply improving the AI of intelligent and civilized attackers would go a long way to providing this sort of challenge. Even something as basic as having a goblin avoid stepping into the same hall of death where he witness his buddy die moments earlier would make a big difference.

Another way to make the AI less predictable and easy to exploit is to make it so a squad of enemies could employ one of several possible pathing behavior patterns instead of using the same one every time. One behavior pattern could be to hold back and patrol the surface to cut off the fortresses access to outside resources and starve them out like in a real world siege. Another could be to try and path into the fortress via the quickest route possible. Another pathing behavior could be to try and path into the fortress but via intentionally circumlocutory routes. Just by adding a little variety to how units approach pathing to your fortress will go a very long way towards preventing some of our cheapest and most ludicrous abuses of enemy AI.

Another possible addition to the arsenal of large, organized armies could be battering rams or massive siege beasts that have a next tier building destroyer ability that could target any construction including bridges, constructed walls etc. How cool would battering ram siege elephants or cave dragons be.

Giving enemy engineers and mechanics the ability to attempt to detect and disarm traps would also make sense as something a late game organized siege force might employ.

As many others have brought up, digging or undermining tactics would GREATLY increase how dangerous a late game siege force could be.

Adding an incorporeal attribute to some of the more powerful and rare night creatures or as a possible forgotten beast ability would truly give us a reason to fear the night and the deep dark places of the world. Basically the ability would let the creature path and pass strait through solid objects such as walls and floors.

There are a lot of good ideas in this thread. I would absolutely love to see some natural disasters or more impacts from our weather. Even something as simple as adding lightning to rain storms that occur in the tropics or the warm months of temperate biomes would be neat. Lightning could start fires, or even hit a really unlucky dwarf. If Toady was feeling particularly detail orientated he could have the lightning leave behind fulgurite.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:50:13 am by Melting Sky »

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just to clear up, in my research, I found that a site with a traveling army nearby was going to most likely get attacked in summer or autumn (I went to adventure mode, found a small army, and embarked right near it. Got attacked right as summer came, eight goblins).

I also found that it is incredibly hard to prevent an autumn invasion (The only way I found was digging in and keeping only basics for the whole year, no metalwork, don't even prepare for the traders). Even then I still got attacked (I tried this way three times, and got attacked once).

So you can still be attacked if there is a traveling army, but it is not as likely otherwise.

NOTE: I traveled with my adventurer to track the movement of the army, then approximated where they would be. Sheer luck I hit near them, but once I did, I settled in the same place, and kept abandoning after winter to replay a different method. I double/triple checked it all, took roughly a week.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5