Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New civ woes  (Read 1061 times)

LordRandomness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New civ woes
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:48:58 am »

So I've decided to pick up an old mod I made that adds a new civ to the game, only to find that they apparently can't make picks now. The civ has [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_SMALL_PICK] and [PERMITTED_JOB:MINER] (and there's an item in a new raw file coded as follows:
Code: [Select]
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_SMALL_PICK]
[NAME:small pick:small picks]
[SIZE:250]
[SKILL:MINING]
[TWO_HANDED:23750]
[MINIMUM_SIZE:21250]
[MATERIAL_SIZE:2]
[ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
). The civ is quadrupedal, but that didn't seem to pose an issue last time and even before I fixed that they could still MAKE the things, just not use them. What am I missing here? I thought in order to make the item it just needed to a) exist, and b) be listed in the civ.

Additionally, the civ is basically a carbon copy of dwarves with respect to weapons, but for some reason they were able to smith only crossbows, pikes, scourges, crossbows AGAIN (it was listed twice, no idea why), and bolts. I am using the newest DF version. Any thoughts?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: New civ woes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:51:58 am »

1) What do you have in errorlog.txt?
2) Does the civ have "grasp" bodypart? Can it use axes?
3) Is this ITEM_WEAPON in the item_weapon.txt file or its own file? If it's a separate file, does it have "file name" at the top and then [OBJECT:WEAPON]?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

LordRandomness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:31:00 am »

1) Looks like it's spamming "Body Token Recognized but could not connect: THROAT", and the same for NECK. It's also claiming not to recognize the tokens SPEED and SWIM_SPEED. Oddly, it also claims "Duplicate Object: item ITEM_WEAPON_SMALL_PICK", although I'd swear I only added the item once.
2) It's supposed to have a grasp-enabled mouth. Axes appear not to be working either. Specification is BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:3TOES_FQ_REG:3TOES_RQ_REG:GRASPING_MOUTH:TONGUE:GENERIC_TEETH:RIBCAGE
3) The file had [OBJECT:ITEM] at the top, but the base raw ALSO had that...but changing it appears to have worked. Sort of. The swords and hatchets are still made of wood for some reason (not sure if the hatchets will even work as a result of that! EDIT: They work fine, but I'm still not sure why they are wooden rather than metal, there's not much difference between them and the picks), but the picks are fine.

Nevertheless, while there are some additional issues there the main issue has been resolved, so thanks for that. Why does my file need OBJECT:WEAPON while the raw file can get away with OBJECT:ITEM, incidentally?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 05:47:09 am by LordRandomness »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:46:12 am »

Please check the new creature structure. SPEED/SWIM_SPEED are no longer a token. You should add the GAITS variation, and change the body definition because the new one has a neck defined differently.

I've made a mistake, it should be [OBJECT:ITEM] :). I am at work so I just wanted to know if OBJECT is above.

About the duplicate issue, please search through the text files for ITEM_WEAPON_SMALL_PICK, most likely you have the second definition somewhere (is there something like .txt.bak file by chance)?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:27:50 am »

If this was updated from the old version, Toady changed how the bodies are put together, the throat and "neck" is now attached to an upper body bp called NECK, you should use the bp [QUADRUPED_NECK] instead of just [QUADRUPED] in your body definition, that should solve the attachment woes you're having.

LordRandomness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:11:37 am »

Please check the new creature structure. SPEED/SWIM_SPEED are no longer a token. You should add the GAITS variation, and change the body definition because the new one has a neck defined differently.

I've made a mistake, it should be [OBJECT:ITEM] :). I am at work so I just wanted to know if OBJECT is above.

About the duplicate issue, please search through the text files for ITEM_WEAPON_SMALL_PICK, most likely you have the second definition somewhere (is there something like .txt.bak file by chance)?

yeah, I figured it'd be something like the creature structure being modified. Changing it to OBJECT:WEAPON fixed it though and I have no idea why so I'm leaving it like that! I should be able to sort the rest of it out now, thanks guys

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 06:12:03 am »

It worked because technically pickaxes are weapons. I know that if you do that then the pickaxe will be used as a weapon by adventurers and official military from that civilization. However I don't know if it will be used as a mining tool by that civilization. It shouldn't be a problem for your fortress as long as you still have the mining labor enabled, but it might cause some problems for caravans or adventurers.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 06:51:23 am »

No you are saying something strange VJMDHZGR, we were talking about [OBJECT:ITEM] at the top of the file which SHOULD be like that, I just forgot what should it be and could not check from work.

Please change it back to OBJECT:ITEM, and I am pretty sure you have a duplicate somewhere, please search for it using the windows search function "inside files". Do you have a .txt.bak file by chance?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LordRandomness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 08:09:22 pm »

I did the search as requested and only found a listing in one file. I changed the file back to OBJECT:ITEM and it stopped working, so I'm still leaving it as-is :/

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 11:46:39 am »

I did the search as requested and only found a listing in one file. I changed the file back to OBJECT:ITEM and it stopped working, so I'm still leaving it as-is :/
Literally what having [OBJECT:WEAPON] at the top of your file is doing is making it ignore that text file completely. The file will only be recognized if it has both the file name and [OBJECT:ITEM] at the top.

Once again this points to a potential duplicate problem (which is reinforced by the fact that crossbows show up twice). I would double check all of your raw files and the error log to make sure you don't have any duplicates anywhere, since any items duplicates could be causing that problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.