Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: [v.0.01c] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer  (Read 49718 times)

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[v.0.01c] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »

Test build - here

Hey dwarfs!

Long time no seen, last time I was here something about 2 years ago(old name - Chewbacca)

I was thinking about idea of the simple 2d Visualizer for the appearance of the dwarf,
how he look,what colour his beard is, what clothes or armor are on, maybe show wounds or old scars if any, etc.

I'm good at producing art assets for such kind of the project and even can code a little, but I'm absolutely not familiar with the dfhack and if it's even possible to get all needed information in the format that can be parsed and used to generate visualization of the dwarf.

Please join to the discussion if you have any thoughts or can help with this project in any way.
Or if there is already some similar project just let me know about it.

Regards,
AndrewChewie

UPD
Here is some samples that I already managed to make

Hair style

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beards style

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

27/09/14 UPD:
First test build of Dwarf Visualizer is here!

Dwarf Visualizer

Not much to test atm, but I'll be working on it.

28/09/14 UPD:
visualizer - 0.01b

now it contains:
Eyebrows
Eyes
Ears
Beards
Noses

Web build(Unity web player/ may freeze your browser)

PC build

UPD v.0.01c
*Added mustaches

Web
PC

Enjoy=)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 03:40:03 am by AndrewChewie »

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
Re: [NEED HELP] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 03:58:28 pm »

Posting to watch. I'm looking forward to it. Can't help with DFHack, though.
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 04:42:15 pm »

Looks cool. PTW. I'm pretty sure you can do most of that with DFHack.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 06:05:00 pm »

So here is first test sketch for the random dwarf from my fortress...and yes it's dwarf women.

this isn't final style that I'll be using in visualizer, that's just a test sketch to check if I'm able to reproduce all this details on the final image.

Here is description:

Here is what I've ended up with:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 06:15:47 am by AndrewChewie »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 09:25:03 pm »

These would be awesome for community forts.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:27:04 am »

Here is description:

I think you should make her skin darker and more orange/reddish (dark peach)
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:50:35 am »

I think you should make her skin darker and more orange/reddish (dark peach)

fixed

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 08:57:59 am »

Are you drawing the faces individually or are you generating them from like a collection of predrawn 'parts'.

Seems pretty cool, in my mind I am imagining a little face in the bottom corner of the screen you get your description from like a little overlay, with just this characters face :).

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 09:02:17 am »

Are you drawing the faces individually or are you generating them from like a collection of predrawn 'parts'.

Seems pretty cool, in my mind I am imagining a little face in the bottom corner of the screen you get your description from like a little overlay, with just this characters face :).

This one drawn from scratch but I'm aiming to generate faces from different parts,yes.

Currently I'm searching best fit style for the dwarfs and full list of the description elements to know how much different parts I'll need.

I was thinking even about some kind of the full body visualizer with item slots like in RPG's to see what's on the dwarf etc.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2014, 09:28:19 am »

Description elements are near the end of the dwarf raw in creature_standard.txt

If you are just talking about the physical body type I do not think there is anything else that it looks for. I like the genned approach like fat skinny regular etc. then paint face with color (possibly color with secondary shader color, I've noticed you artist folks always using shading to bring out depth :))

Age range is straight in the raw.

If you could nail down all the data points you are expecting to get i.e. fattyness, age, gender, skin, and eye color, hair style ,whatever else there is; you can do the outline work in preparation.

I am not smart enough in the ways of DFHACKing but I figure the more you can show off of your ability and drive to finish a project the more likely someone with the right skill sets will want to team up with you. :) This looks like something that would be pretty cool to have, like a little passport photo sorta, bring the dwarves more to life.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2014, 11:25:17 am »

What you could start with is making a form-program of sorts that allows someone to select whatever variables are mentioned in the description. Like, a dropdown with 'slightly hooked nose' 'strongly hooked nose' etc.

BTW, dwarf fortress has specific rgb values for each of it's described colours, and not all of them are what you would expect.(most specifically burnt sienna is way brighter than what is standardly expected)
I have a gimp pallete file with all colours, named, but that may not be extremely useful unless you use open source software to make these. Of course, the specific colours are not all that relevant, except for maybe understanding why burnt-sienna is available for skin colours :)
Here's the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yox6h9qhbwgu0os/Dwarf_fortress.gpl

EDIT: For example, according to the raws, dark peach is 255:218:185, which is hex #FFDAB9, which would be this color. Bet you weren't expecting that, huh?

There's more of where that came from, I was half considering to report it as a bug, because some of these are really unexpected.

EDIT2: In contrast, this is according to the raws, burnt sienna.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 11:36:26 am by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

KevinCathcart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 12:26:13 pm »

The dark peach is a bug. Dark peach is intended to be crayola's peach color, which wikipedia's color list names as "Deep Peach". What got encoded was X11's "Peach Puff" color. (I'm guessing the wikipedia page was in error at the time Toady extracted the list.)

The color called "Burnt Sienna" comes from Maerz and Paul "A Dictionary of Color" from 1930, which was indeed much brighter than most other definitions. Thus it is not a bug, but it perhaps should have its definition substituted with a different one for some future release.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »

The dark peach is a bug. Dark peach is intended to be crayola's peach color, which wikipedia's color list names as "Deep Peach". What got encoded was X11's "Peach Puff" color. (I'm guessing the wikipedia page was in error at the time Toady extracted the list.)

The color called "Burnt Sienna" comes from Maerz and Paul "A Dictionary of Color" from 1930, which was indeed much brighter than most other definitions. Thus it is not a bug, but it perhaps should have its definition substituted with a different one for some future release.

Yes, I checked it on wikipedia as well, so hence me not actually reporting it yet. The reason I would say burnt sienna is a bug is because Dwarf Fortress' color names are to facilitate imagination, and if the majority is going to imagine a vastly darker colour...

Like I said, I'm in two minds about it.

EDIT: For example, people in this tread imagine dark peach to be what wikipedia lists as 'dark salmon'.
It's not extremely relevant as well... but it's probably going to be the primary complaint people will level when their dark-peach dwarves turn out to be fairly fair-skinned...

It's all up to Andrew how he'll tackle it though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:39:21 pm by therahedwig »
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 02:14:58 pm »

Thanks for so much information.
will work with it today, maybe post new test portrait.

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 04:06:38 am »

therahedwig , thanks for the colors palette, probably will use some of its colors.

Here is draft of one of the possible styles for the visualizer, little simplified and edgy.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:13:13 am by AndrewChewie »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13