Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: [v.0.01c] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer  (Read 49711 times)

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
Re: [v.0.01c] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« Reply #150 on: January 28, 2016, 06:44:34 am »

More and more I feel like a utility like this would be super useful. Even something plugged into ex. Dwarf Therapist. Is there anyone making progress on this?

Seeing our dwarfs' faces would make this game so much more personal and real!
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 07, 2016, 07:52:47 am »

How's it going Rallor?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Rallor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 07, 2016, 04:44:55 pm »

How's it going Rallor?

I'm doing as PeridexisErrant suggested, wrote a lua script that dumped that information in a file. Still need to experiment more with changing values to find out how they affect the description and to finish the python application that does something with that information.
Haven't decided on a couple of things though. I originally intended for all the image files to have the same width and height but now I'm wondering if for things such as eyes I should keep them only as large as the eye itself and place them on the dwarf depending on the distance between the eyes value. If I chose to stick with the original plan in which all the images would be placed on the same coordinates, it would mean I'd have to make a separate image file for each level of eye distance for each eye property (bulging, sunken, etc).

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:25 pm »

I'm doing as PeridexisErrant suggested, wrote a lua script that dumped that information in a file. Still need to experiment more with changing values to find out how they affect the description and to finish the python application that does something with that information.

Cool!  Is the export script likely to change at all?  If not, getting it into DFHack with enough lead time for it to release before you do could simplify distribution and installation considerably.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 12, 2016, 06:11:44 pm »

MAD PROPS!

How about open-source image packs? If people want someone in their games and can find all the emotional states, they tag the images with their in-game description. The community votes on it's relevance and the score gives a weighted chance of it appearing in your game. You could do a light version for NPC's.

Are you doing faces or bodies too?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2016, 06:16:26 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

bluwolfie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 12, 2016, 09:08:33 pm »

Cool, PTW

Rallor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 24, 2016, 11:14:53 am »

I've decided to release a “proof of concept” kind of thing, real barebones. It utilizes only a dwarve's head- height and width, eye distance, nose width, chin width and shape.
Requires Python 2.7 and dfhack.
Download

Instructions:
1. Place “getdwarf.lua” in your dfhack scripts directory.
2. In-game select a dwarf with either “v” or placing a cursor over the dwarf with “k”
3. Run the script, this will generate the file “dwarf.ini” in your dwarf fortress directory
4. Place “dwarf.ini” in the same directory as “visdwarf.py” and run “visdwarf.py”

Since I'm not much of an artist I was never going to do more in terms of assets than placeholders. I had in mind something where one could freely replace the image files and artists could release their own graphics packs.
All the image files were planned to have the same dimensions, so the artists could freely choose the resolution they wish their work to have and not have to edit the code to change the coordinates of the smaller images placed on the larger ones to make them fit. This solution, however, would increase the necessary amount of images required by a large margin. For example, eyes suitable for every head shape, and then perhaps multiplied by some other face element they need to match with.
I was burnt out at the mere thought of how many placeholders I would have to do. Anyone up to the task can feel free to base their own visualizer on what I released.

edit: screenshot, as requested:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 11:47:48 am by Rallor »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 24, 2016, 11:22:22 am »

Any screenshots?

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 24, 2016, 11:48:00 am »

PTW.  This tool will add such fun for Community / Succession games, adding that visual flavor for participants and story tellers alike. 

I hope to play with this over the weekend and see.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 24, 2016, 12:23:23 pm »

Nice man. Linking this in draw your adventures. I will once I've got this doc.

Anyone got a list of the physical description raws? I want to make a google doc or something people can add images to. I've done what i can with the files in the visualizer and what Megaman dug up, but it's not quite there. Judging by the visualizer the raws aren't quite the same as the in-game description.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:19:06 pm by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

Rallor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 24, 2016, 03:57:45 pm »

Nice man. Linking this in draw your adventures. I will once I've got this doc.

Anyone got a list of the physical description raws? I want to make a google doc or something people can add images to. I've done what i can with the files in the visualizer and what Megaman dug up, but it's not quite there. Judging by the visualizer the raws aren't quite the same as the in-game description.

I haven't actually done any dwarf fortress modding so I haven't looked at the raw files. I used the command "gui/gm-editor" in dfhack while having a dwarf in game chosen with the cursor beforehand. I tried editing values and observed how they changed the description of the dwarves. The values used by this visualizer are found in "appearance>bp_modifiers". The values are stored as numbers and I have some of their translations written down here.

edit: I'd also like to add that some of the values appear to be linked. For example, an extremely short nose can not be narrow, even if bp_modifiers[10] (which contains nose width) would have a value which normally indicates a narrow nose, if bp_modifiers[11] (which contains nose length) is 30 or less (which would make it extremely short), the description wont say narrow.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 04:58:27 pm by Rallor »

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 27, 2016, 10:12:39 am »

Bump, we need them raw translations
Reading a thinner book

kane_t

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 05, 2016, 01:37:49 pm »

I'm curious...  DF certainly stores, somewhere in memory, a mapping between the RAW tags (NOSE/BROADNESS), the index into the bp_modifiers array, and the strings of descriptive text for each of the ranges (though, the latter could just be in a different, two-dimensional array, using the same indices as bp_modifiers).  Is it possible that that mapping is exposed by DFHack somewhere?

It might be worth asking in the DFHack thread if anyone has found that data structure while they were poking around in memory.  Might save you some time.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 04, 2016, 04:44:35 pm »

Cheers
Reading a thinner book

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 13, 2016, 10:55:19 pm »

If this is abandoned, i see some are willing to take up the gauntlet?

It kinda does appear to be abandoned. I see AndrewChewie hasn't even been on since January of 2015.

BTW: I don't think I can get the Unity Web Player to install on my outdated browser on my outdated Win XP laptop. And the download link for the PC version is broken: Returns a 404 error.

This does look nice. It'd be super useful for storytelling and such.
Though, does this include the ability to visualize female dwarves? If not, that's a rather glaring omission.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 10:58:11 pm by Thundercraft »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13