Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: [v.0.01c] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer  (Read 49709 times)

bicueites

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [NEED HELP] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2014, 05:44:04 pm »

Yes I have skills in producing 3d content as well, I've posted my test dwarf model sowhere here a long time ago.
here is some:
http://imgur.com/a/s0o75

Why you desided to use Ogre?

Python-Ogre, because I can code in Python.

If I were to start this project again from scratch I'd use Unity. Python-Ogre is a good engine but it's pretty much dead, no engine updates since 2009, no community, retired developers and no plans for a new version.
Unity allows Boo scripting, and Boo has a syntax similar to Phyton.

Nice beard/hair. Did you use Blender?

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2014, 08:02:24 am »

Here's an interesting idea..... Granted, i don't know what you have planned or if this is even possible (pretty sure it is)

Possibly having the facial expression match the dwarf's mood.... smiling: happy/ecstatic, no expression: content, dour/frowning :not happy, etc. 

something to think about.... keep it up though, really excited to see how this turns out!!! ;D
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

CharonM72

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Laughingdwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2014, 09:47:08 am »

Here's an interesting idea..... Granted, i don't know what you have planned or if this is even possible (pretty sure it is)

Possibly having the facial expression match the dwarf's mood.... smiling: happy/ecstatic, no expression: content, dour/frowning :not happy, etc. 

I second this. With the wide range of emotions, you could do some interesting things. Like, closed eyes if sleeping, white skin if injured or bleeding or something, red skin and angry expression if throwing a tantrum, tears if crying...
Dunno if corpses continue to carry the features of the original creature but if so, then you could probably easily adapt this into a corpse viewer too.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but features are generated randomly on encountering historical figures, so it wouldn't work in Legends mode (or as a Legends Viewer plugin), although that would be cool if it did. Anyway this is all to be considered once the basic face viewer is done.
Ever wanted to see your DF world Google Earth-style? Check out my Satellite Map Maker!

He he, yeah, I was like, "how are we going to be sure the leader will die in the trap?"  And then I saw the 10 adamantine weapons in the trap.  Then I was like, "but what if they live through the fall if they dodge?"  Then I saw the giant magma pool.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2014, 01:01:05 pm »

This is really neat and I like the style you used in the hairstyles pictures. I'd love to see scars displayed. Do you plan to make it easy to expand and add new clothes with some kind of raws system like DF?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2014, 01:53:18 pm »

For extra bonus Internet points, don't forget that just about any bodypart can be destroyed or severed.  An experienced soldier can have the smile of an ice hockey player.

That's definitely not needed in an initial version, but something to keep in mind while making design decisions.  Just like severed limbs and such if you ever go full-body.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2014, 04:03:44 pm »

Thanks for support and responses everyone, I appreciate it ;)

Yes I have skills in producing 3d content as well, I've posted my test dwarf model sowhere here a long time ago.
here is some:
http://imgur.com/a/s0o75

Why you desided to use Ogre?

Python-Ogre, because I can code in Python.

If I were to start this project again from scratch I'd use Unity. Python-Ogre is a good engine but it's pretty much dead, no engine updates since 2009, no community, retired developers and no plans for a new version.
Unity allows Boo scripting, and Boo has a syntax similar to Phyton.

Nice beard/hair. Did you use Blender?

I've used max+zbrush for them.

something to think about.... keep it up though, really excited to see how this turns out!!! ;D

That's some onteresting idea, I've not thinked about it.
It's absolutely possible but the list of needed assets will increase significantly.

This is really neat and I like the style you used in the hairstyles pictures. I'd love to see scars displayed. Do you plan to make it easy to expand and add new clothes with some kind of raws system like DF?

I'll try to add some scars to test portraits to check how to apply them. If you have some descriptions of the scared dwarfs please send them to me, so I can check with them while drawing.

For extra bonus Internet points, don't forget that just about any bodypart can be destroyed or severed.  An experienced soldier can have the smile of an ice hockey player.

That's definitely not needed in an initial version, but something to keep in mind while making design decisions.  Just like severed limbs and such if you ever go full-body.

I already know how I'll do this(severed limbs), but it's definitly far from that currently.

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »

Here is fast scar and warrior smile for you all

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2014, 04:26:49 pm »

How did he sneak away from patrol duty in my fort to pose for you? :)

On a more serious note, do you plan to handle those of us who enable facial hair layers on the female dwarves?
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2014, 04:35:44 pm »

How did he sneak away from patrol duty in my fort to pose for you? :)

On a more serious note, do you plan to handle those of us who enable facial hair layers on the female dwarves?

This wount affect the amount of art assets needed, maybe slightly.
So it can be done without any big problems some time after some working prototype is up.

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 04:43:56 pm »

I'm back, a little busy this days.

Here is small updated, this time - experimental beards:

and gif of growing =D
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2014, 05:26:07 pm »

If this works I'm only making my soldiers have the bottom 3 beards.

No....maybe match their personality...but not current mood.

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2014, 05:39:31 pm »

Is that nose going to be the only one? It bothers me for some reason :b

Honestly, both personality and current mood would be cool for each their reasons(Largely depending on how the final software works. If Dwarf Therapist like and open at the side for your to look at while playing, mood would be awesome. If just for exports, personality would probably work better. Personality is way harder than just a 'happiness slider' though.), but it obviously belongs at the back of the queue and I really don't think Andrew should sweat it trying to do -everything- at once to appease anyone.

AndrewChewie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2014, 05:45:52 pm »

Is that nose going to be the only one? It bothers me for some reason :b

Honestly, both personality and current mood would be cool for each their reasons(Largely depending on how the final software works. If Dwarf Therapist like and open at the side for your to look at while playing, mood would be awesome. If just for exports, personality would probably work better. Personality is way harder than just a 'happiness slider' though.), but it obviously belongs at the back of the queue and I really don't think Andrew should sweat it trying to do -everything- at once to appease anyone.

There will be different noses, this one is first and the simpliest that I've managed to make. I'll try to make them by ingame descriptions.
I find it hard to make personality for a dwarf using pregenerated elements(eyes/browns/lips/etc) because it require more detailed work on overall face and moves it toward unique and custom made. But anyway it's far from that goal, everything can change.

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FIRST SAMPLES] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 02:50:38 pm »

I once had a vampire human missing a nose, ear, lips, his entire body was covered in hundreads of scars sprawling every inch of his gangly almost skelital form and he was the greatest warrior iv ever made, a man capable of batting arrows away when he wasnt even looking at them, he was a untouchable, kill entire armies, weilding two swords and covard in burns from dragons fire doused by a near by pond.

Can it simulate that? XD

His only match was a demon king who after fighting in a endless stale mate for what felt like eternity eventually one mistake led the demon weasel to punch a hole through his stomach and  just before he finished me i threw my body over the edge of the tower plumiting to the ground and shattering every bone in my body on the ground below... crawled away, healed up and luckily brain and spine were undamaged so i continued on fully recovered.
Tracked down a necromancer, broke his fingers one at a time for fun, than shattered his knee walking away with his book, went back with a undead army and three undead titans and a undead dragon and ripped the king apart easily with the help of my new companions.

best adventure iv ever had... Although my great hero lost control of his undead army and every town i went to was promptly devoured by my new friends and was forced to retire him to avoid any ferther damage, but what else could I accomplish with him anyway?

Kumil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [FIRST SAMPLES] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2014, 04:03:13 pm »

If I may make some criticism, the bridge of the nose should be open (i.e. not drawn) and the nose should be of the same color as the rest of the skin.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13