Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: [v.0.01c] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer  (Read 49451 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [FIRST SAMPLES] Dwarf Appearance Visualizer
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2014, 03:44:10 am »

All my internets if it outputs in 3d, and can export your dwarves to obj.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Kartag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2014, 04:27:53 pm »

This is just glorious. Even if it will be just an utility which can read exported via "forumdwarves" DFhack plugin descriptions, it'll still be glorious.

Maybe it is possible to reduce the amount of art needed by drawing basic body and face shapes described in raws or wherever they are, and then putting pre-drawn like beards, eyes, scars and such over them, like layers in Photoshop.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2014, 04:32:42 pm »

Maybe it is possible to reduce the amount of art needed by drawing basic body and face shapes described in raws or wherever they are, and then putting pre-drawn like beards, eyes, scars and such over them, like layers in Photoshop.

I think that was the original plan?
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2014, 04:33:11 pm »

This is just glorious. Even if it will be just an utility which can read exported via "forumdwarves" DFhack plugin descriptions, it'll still be glorious.

That seemed to be the idea.  A lot of the appearance modifiers are numbers (e.g., how widely-spaced the eyes are) so they can be used to place or scale tidbits.  I'm pretty sure the engine will need at least a couple versions of each bodypart to cover the entire parameter space properly.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2014, 08:03:31 pm »

Well, it would make more sense (and work) if it used vector graphics (just saying...)

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2014, 07:18:03 am »

Well, it would make more sense (and work) if it used vector graphics (just saying...)
Not necessarily.
I'm a huge vector advocate, but this does take away gradients from Andrew's toolbox.
Plus, vectors just aren't as easy to make, even in this artstyle. It requires a lot of time to get right.

And in case of things like body parts, they won't benefit from vector, as the muscles and the fat can't be applied as a difference to a generic set, unlike 3d model-parts. (Which would bring it's own problems)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Aerval

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2014, 08:47:45 pm »

I'm a huge vector advocate, but this does take away gradients from Andrew's toolbox.
How do you mean that? I thought SVG files support color gradients.

Plus, vectors just aren't as easy to make, even in this artstyle. It requires a lot of time to get right.

And in case of things like body parts, they won't benefit from vector, as the muscles and the fat can't be applied as a difference to a generic set, unlike 3d model-parts. (Which would bring it's own problems)

Sure it would not be easy. I thought about defining a set of points that specfies a body, developing example characters with assigned parameters and then using a support vector machine to develop a general shape model that can be speciefied via parameters in different ways. I am a noob in this area (only heard about the theory in classes) but thought it should be possible.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #67 on: August 17, 2014, 05:27:09 am »

How do you mean that? I thought SVG files support color gradients.
Ah. Not the kind of gradients I was talking about. Those are linear and circular gradients, but not yet mesh-gradients or any practical shaped gradients. Linear and circular gradients are great for UI work, but a little limiting on illustrations.

Sure it would not be easy. I thought about defining a set of points that specfies a body, developing example characters with assigned parameters and then using a support vector machine to develop a general shape model that can be speciefied via parameters in different ways. I am a noob in this area (only heard about the theory in classes) but thought it should be possible.
Not quite.
Yes, while a shape can be manipulated in svg, it would not automatically mean it would make sense aesthetically. We have things like suggested lines which imply an internal contour of the described 3d object(like a hand, or a muscle), and these lines cut halfway into the base drawing. On top of that, things like hands and muscles have very peculiar proportions(some are relative to body size, other to weight, others to the objects own size etc).

What I am most worried about is attachment points. While you could paste a muscle onto a paper-base, hands need to be attached properly, and retain their inherent consistency. That is to say, the wrist needs to deform, but the rest of the hand, part of the same shape needs to retain it's own size. Or only change in illustrative width(not absolute width), so you'd need to apply some kind of perspective deformation to figure out which parts of the hand should not be deformed, but if the hand is drawn at 3/4th quarters, you'll need to figure out which part of the hand fits what perspective.
This would be a lot easier with 3d, because then you can just use weightmaps or vertex animations(or even bone animation) to modify the body-proportions accordingly.

Not that it can't be done, it's just pretty complex to do, and let's not get into the fact there's no high-level tools for it.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2014, 02:46:08 pm »

So cool!  I'm no help technically or skill wise, but I'd be happy to beta test when it gets to that stage.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Maltavius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 22, 2014, 02:44:22 am »

So how do we get a list of all the hairstyles and beard styles in the game?

Nose shapes, eye shapes and amputations are also important.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 22, 2014, 05:31:48 am »

You get it from DFHack.

It's not a long list, and stonesense has all of them.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 04, 2014, 02:14:10 am »

in case you were having trouble with the possible dwarf appearance modifiers, here is what i found in the raws (hope you're still working on this project)

each modifier has three versions: classic, very, and extremely, ex. a dwarf could be broad, very broad, or extremely broad, (or not broad at all, and therefore average [possibly no description])

Body: Broad, Skinny, Tall, Short
Eyes: close set, far set (not sure what the exact phrase is in game [perhaps wide set]), Deep set, protruding, round, narrow, large iris, small iris
Lips: thick, thin
Nose: Broad, skinny, long, short, upturned, hooked, convex (may be an opposite to convex, not sure)
Ear: Splayed out, hangin lobes, broad, tall (i believe ears use a different format than [blank], very, extremely. probably i have seen slightly used in descriptions, so perhaps add that in for everything as well)
tooth: gapped, (i think there is a close set thing too), long (for vampires)
Skull: High cheekbones, broad chin, jutting chin, square chin
Head: broad, skinny, tall, short
Eyebrows: Long, short, thick, thin?, high, low
Hair: curly, greasy, dense
wrinkles, these exist too, mostly around the eyes i think

couldn't find beards (i'm new at this) but you seem to have those already

Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 15, 2014, 01:15:44 pm »

Definitely PTW.  This looks amazing!
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Lysabild

• Bay Watcher
  • Eidora Terminus Imperii Romani
    • View Profile
    • My Steam!
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2014, 08:24:49 am »

It's a bit curious how OP haven't even been on the site in over a month though.

YAHG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 10:56:57 am »

It's a bit curious how OP haven't even been on the site in over a month though.

He is probably in a strange mood I wouldn't worry too much about it O0
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13