Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction  (Read 16524 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 02:39:39 am »

"As expected, a complete and affordable selection." Varkhal sounded fairly satisfied for having found out the shop had the kind of armor he wanted. Gambeson covered a good part of the body and was light enough even someone untrained like him could handle the encumbrance; the leather-faced one was the obvious choice since he would wear it as independent armor.

Of course, he did not want to make a deal until he knew all the prices and was informed by Sofia whether she also wanted anything from the armor shop. "Could I see the leather-faced gambeson? And do you happen to have heard of anyone having trouble with wildlife who may need some help dealing with it?" After asking, he scanned the wares once again to discern visually whether the store sold any armor adapted for Aethen.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 12:21:06 pm »

She decided to return to her parents on this calm morn. She wanted to ask them about travel and if it was possible for her to venture into the open world, if not the local cities, at least.
Cara's house was nearby; Spirarbor wasn't a terribly large port. When she came in the front door she found her parents were both up and about, making plans for their days.

"Right, well, I have a few questions! Do you have any larger crossbows or bows, or maybe shields? What would they cost. And on the topic of prices, what do the hand crossbows, throwing daggers, swords, axes, and spears cost?"
"Oh of course dear! Ask away! I do make regular crossbows, but they're regularly purchased in bulk for the guard, so I'm out at the moment. Haven't gotten in to bows; my metalworking is more suited to crossbows. I'm sure you can find some around if you look a bit though. I have been learning to make shields, as it would happen. They aren't in my regular stock yet, I'm not quite as practices as I'd like to be. For you dear I'll bring them out early. A pair of iron bucklers, one for you and one for your friend, would be twenty coppers. They're basically scrap, since I wouldn't normally sell them, but I need a bit of coin for the material. If you do buy them would you be a dear and not tell anyone I sold 'em to you?

Hand crossbow is 60, lots of moving parts, throwing daggers are 25 for five. Short sword will be 25 as well, 40 for a longsword. Hatchet is 30, ax meant for killing will be 50. Half spear and a normal spear cost the same, at least for the unadorned versions, only 15. Wood is terribly easy to get. These are just for the low end weapons dear. If you're looking to spend larger sums just let me know."

"As expected, a complete and affordable selection."
"Could I see the leather-faced gambeson? And do you happen to have heard of anyone having trouble with wildlife who may need some help dealing with it?" discern visually whether the store sold any armor adapted for Aethen.
"Of course, just give me a moment to bring one out." As the man sorted through his stock for a good looking gambeson he addressed the issue of wildlife, sorting a little to be heard from the back room. 

"Just about everyone has problems, really. That forest, it churns out all manner of enchanted beast. Most of the big ones are kept at bay by the guards, and that's no easy task but they manage. Plenty of smaller ones get into town though, and small don't mean they ain't dangerous you see. There are folks on the edge of town that employ personal guards for their own safety, and sometimes the safety of their gardens. There's a healer whose herbs are important for the town, but she's regularly harassed by the abnormal vermin that come from the forest. There's also bounties out for some of the beasties, all the inns have boards... Here's a good sampling of my gambesons."

Varkhal saw that amidst a variety of decorated, and therefore more expensive, options there were plain ones, one of which would fit Sofia provided holes were cut for her wings. The shopkeeper offered the small one for a slightly reduced price, only forty coins, since it took less material to make and was harder to sell.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:11:03 pm by Samarkand »
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 01:57:32 pm »

Convinced of the quality of the man's work and fully aware he'd need some reasonable armor to survive during this early beginning of his adventuring life, Varkhal purchased the 50-copper coin leather gambeson. "Thank you for the friendly treatment and it has been a pleasure doing business. I believe it will not take long until we are closing another deal." he said, shooting the kettle helmet a longing look as the gave the man the coins and extended his arms to receive the armor.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 02:29:39 pm »

Convinced of the quality of the man's work and fully aware he'd need some reasonable armor to survive during this early beginning of his adventuring life, Varkhal purchased the 50-copper coin leather gambeson. "Thank you for the friendly treatment and it has been a pleasure doing business. I believe it will not take long until we are closing another deal." he said, shooting the kettle helmet a longing look as the gave the man the coins and extended his arms to receive the armor.
The shopkeeper handed over the armor and quickly counted the coins, running them through his fingers rapidly. "It's a pleasure having customers with some education in their upbringing. You're welcome I'm my shop anytime, and I hope the armor serves you well."
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2014, 03:33:36 pm »

"I would rather not be hit any time soon, but when it does happen, I am sure this armor will hold." Varkhal replied as he carefully put on the armor to avoid making a fool of himself, fastening tightly before testing his movements with it on. Though the expression of satisfaction and a light amount of joy he displayed could be easily mistaken for admiration of the armor's quality, it stemmed mostly from the fact it was the first time he wore any kind of armor - an experience that made it clear how his life had changed and would continue to change from then on.

After that, he then made his way to Sofia. "The armor shop has gambeson your size for forty coins, though we would need to adapt it." Adapting the armor to be actually comfortable would probably go beyond just cutting holes in its back, after all. Unless it fastened over the wearer's back, they'd need a solution for fitting her wings other than trying to squeeze them through slits made in the armor. "Kettle helmet for twenty, cloth gambeson for fifteen."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 03:35:39 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2014, 09:46:55 pm »

"Uh-hmm! I think I will go for the bucklers, though you have my word that I won't go around blabbing! As for the weapons, hmm. Let me wait for my companion to come back in." Sofia slid the woman 20 coins. A few moments afterwards, Varkhal walked into the store. "Ah, Varkhal! I checked the prices. Shortswords 25 longswords 40, spears 15. And as for the shields, well, I've got those covered."

Sofia took the opportunity to look around for a weapon. "Hmm! Given the armor price, I think I'll get a longsword! That armor too, I guess!" She mimed swishing a sword around.

Buy a longsword, the bucklers, and the Aethen-sized gambeson.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:08 pm »

"Uh-hmm! I think I will go for the bucklers, though you have my word that I won't go around blabbing! As for the weapons, hmm. Let me wait for my companion to come back in." Sofia slid the woman 20 coins. A few moments afterwards, Varkhal walked into the store. "Ah, Varkhal! I checked the prices. Shortswords 25 longswords 40, spears 15. And as for the shields, well, I've got those covered."

Sofia took the opportunity to look around for a weapon. "Hmm! Given the armor price, I think I'll get a longsword! That armor too, I guess!" She mimed swishing a sword around.

Buy a longsword, the bucklers, and the Aethen-sized gambeson.
"Thank you for your patronage!"

The woman mumbled under her breath as she was walking back to retrieve the bucklers, "Oh I do want children..." just barely loud enough for Sofia to catch it. She soon returned and handed over the equipment to Sofia. The sword a bit heavy in the aethen's hands. It was almost as long as she was tall! But she could swing it with some effort. The bucklers were plain and circular, clearly attempts at learning how to make them rather than finished products. But they were the right shape and size, and Sophia was just worried about being able to put a piece of metal between herself and whatever might come after her. Her pockets might have been emptied, but she already felt like an accomplished adventurer decked out in her gear, swinging a giant sword.
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2014, 10:16:05 pm »

Varkhal eyes moved from the longsword to the Aethen and vice-versa before he gave her ten coins for his buckler purchase. "Here is my part, then. How do you like that sword's balance and weight? It sounded like you were interested in a bow, are you leaving that for later?" he asked curiously, sliding fifteen coins to the shopkeeper so he could obtain a spear. Due to his lack of training and the fact he could get into a situation where using a spear as a simple quarterstaff would be necessary, he decides to get a half-length one.

Buy a half-spear for 15 coins, give Sofia 10 coins for my buckler's price and if the armor for Sofia hasn't been adapted, ask the armorer if he could adapt it since it's calm at the moment and how much he'd charge for the service.
>Yes?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2014, 10:37:19 pm »

Varkhal eyes moved from the longsword to the Aethen and vice-versa before he gave her ten coins for his buckler purchase. "Here is my part, then. How do you like that sword's balance and weight? It sounded like you were interested in a bow, are you leaving that for later?" he asked curiously, sliding fifteen coins to the shopkeeper so he could obtain a spear. Due to his lack of training and the fact he could get into a situation where using a spear as a simple quarterstaff would be necessary, he decides to get a half-length one.

Buy a half-spear for 15 coins, give Sofia 10 coins for my buckler's price and if the armor for Sofia hasn't been adapted, ask the armorer if he could adapt it since it's calm at the moment and how much he'd charge for the service.
The armor shopkeeper looked Sofia over carefully and asked her about the flexibility of her wings. In the end he cut away large portions of the back to make it so her wings could fit through easily. This did little to damage the integrity of the armor, however. It still would fit snugly, and her wings were the real exposed part at he back, regardless of the coverage of the leather. Varkhal noted as he left the store that it was named Thum's Last Defence, presumably owned and run by Thum, though names had not been exchanged.
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2014, 11:39:55 pm »

Stopping as if suddenly struck by invisible lightning, the young man turned on his heels and returned to the armorer's shop to offer a hand to be shaken. "How rude of me, I nearly forgot to introduce myself. My name is Varkhal and this is Sofia." he said with his usual pleasant smile. He couldn't afford to make a mistake so soon, could he? Having taken so long to realize such a simple thing went straight against his education.

Remembering the introductions just now, Varkhal introduces both himself and Sofia to the owners of both weapon and armor shop. He also asks the armor shop's owner about where is the house of the herb healer who might need help.
>Yes?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:58 pm »

Stopping as if suddenly struck by invisible lightning, the young man turned on his heels and returned to the armorer's shop to offer a hand to be shaken. "How rude of me, I nearly forgot to introduce myself. My name is Varkhal and this is Sofia." he said with his usual pleasant smile. He couldn't afford to make a mistake so soon, could he? Having taken so long to realize such a simple thing went straight against his education.

Remembering the introductions just now, Varkhal introduces both himself and Sofia to the owners of both weapon and armor shop. He also asks the armor shop's owner about where is the house of the herb healer who might need help.
Thum's Defence was predictably owned by Thum, who gave directions to the healer's hut. The Dragon's Armory was owned by Vera. Both looked pleased by the introductions, and expressed that they looked forward to future business.
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 12:35:50 pm »

With introductions made and a social blunder narrowly avoided, Varkhal turned his attention back to his companion. "What do you think, Sofia? Should we head to the healer's hut and ask if she has any work for us? I want to search around for one or two second-hand books, but in case you went ahead to talk to her I could arrive a while later." he asked the Aethen.

In case Sofia either agrees to the idea and goes by herself to the hut or decides to follow Varkhal, search for a second-hand bookstore. In case she refuses the idea and drags Varkhal somewhere, just play along but keep an eye open for any bookstores on the way.
>Yes?

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 01:22:54 pm »

Will stands, mesmerized, looking at the fire for a few minutes, and eventually turns around, heading into town. When there, he examines the condition of the town, before looking to see if there are any job openings, perhaps in the militia.

Will heads into town, and looks to see if the militia is recruiting. If so, he signs himself up. Otherwise, he tries to find out what happened to the town.

Spoiler: Will Bayler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Abilities (click to show/hide)
(I'm on the land side of the dock, right?)
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 06:37:12 pm »

Swish swish "I like the sword! It's a little big," swish swish "But I can certainly get used to that! And nah, the bow wasn't a concrete plan. ...Also, sure, we can head to the healer's hut. Mot sure how much help I would be though." Swish.
Just go ahead and follow Varkhal.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 12:54:43 am »

Varkhal's usually pleasant, restrained smile grew wider as he watched the Aethen swinging a sword almost as big as she was tall with such vibrant excitement, like her small size was but a tiny deterrent to her spirit's grandeur. He took his right hand close to his mouth as if to hide part of his smile almost instinctively due to the kind of education he received, one that said that kind of display could be taken as an offense. "Good to know." he remarked, back to his usual tired expression with a slight smile, before walking with the pleased girl towards the direction he supposed the commercial area continued.
>Yes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11