Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction  (Read 16593 times)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Introduction
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 07:58:39 am »

Will stands, mesmerized, looking at the fire for a few minutes, and eventually turns around, heading into town. When there, he examines the condition of the town, before looking to see if there are any job openings, perhaps in the militia.

Will heads into town, and looks to see if the militia is recruiting. If so, he signs himself up. Otherwise, he tries to find out what happened to the town.

Meyath watches will just nonchalantly walking into the burning town

"Stop!, you seriously going to walk into a town that is ON FIRE, I come from a swamp and I know that's stupid, what would be best is if you help"

Intercept idiot, then go back to trying to help put out the fire
You really can both sig it.
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 09:01:39 am »

((I don't actually see anything that says the town is on fire. It says the dock's on fire, and it also says the port is on fire, which could either be a part of the town or the same dock. Either way, it's not like the entire town went up in flames.))
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2014, 09:07:14 am »

Will stands, mesmerized, looking at the fire for a few minutes, and eventually turns around, heading into town. When there, he examines the condition of the town, before looking to see if there are any job openings, perhaps in the militia.

Will heads into town, and looks to see if the militia is recruiting. If so, he signs himself up. Otherwise, he tries to find out what happened to the town.

Meyath watches will just nonchalantly walking into the burning town

"Stop!, you seriously going to walk into a town that is ON FIRE, I come from a swamp and I know that's stupid, what would be best is if you help"

Intercept idiot, then go back to trying to help put out the fire
((I don't actually see anything that says the town is on fire. It says the dock's on fire, and it also says the port is on fire, which could either be a part of the town or the same dock. Either way, it's not like the entire town went up in flames.))
Meyath surveys the area and notices that the fire is contained to the dock, and one man's lack of altruism would not doom the city.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Playergamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dance dance hadoken!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2014, 09:24:31 am »

Will gives Meyath a weird look, and continues on his way.
A troll, most likely...But I hate not feeding the animals. Let the games begin.
Ya fuckin' wanker.   

My sigtext

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2014, 09:50:20 am »

She decided to return to her parents on this calm morn. She wanted to ask them about travel and if it was possible for her to venture into the open world, if not the local cities, at least.
Cara's house was nearby; Spirarbor wasn't a terribly large port. When she came in the front door she found her parents were both up and about, making plans for their days.
Cara made sure to wipe her soles and sandals on the accompanying mat, before putting away her sandals by the front of the door to the side. She took a deep breath of fresh air and lightened up: her parents told her many stories of travel and passage: of the coast and its many bounties--then there was the mainland.

Glancing around, she could see portraits and other embellishments on the wall nearest to the front door, displaying many achievements (as well as the complimentary family paintings, done by various people [with her own take at it in pencil at the forefront...when she was 8]). Mostly all of them carried the hues of either the sea or the mountains in the background, with the sunlight peeking in from the window opposite all of them.

She looked around for any carrying bag and made her footsteps heard, calling out, "<Ma! Pa! I'm going off for an adventure! Be back when the sun sets, alright! Everything is with me!~>"

Of course, she spoke in the dialect of her origins--something they were accustomed to given her accent. Her parents were humans, quite different from the wolfkin, yet people of scholarly aptitude and background--they were used to it. It was an in-family joke that 'when the sun sets' usually meant days or weeks later; times of day and positions of the sun and moon were often used as code words to mean something other than what was directly said. It was a game she played with them ever since they were young, and most often used when talking about travel between the islands.

...She never got to travel ever since what had happened a few years ago.

Obligatory conversation with parents in code, go! Hopefully they'll reply in turn!

Spoiler: Cara Penrose (click to show/hide)

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2014, 10:03:26 am »

((thought the entire town was on fire, oh well put it down to Meyath being an idealist in the most part still))
But... That would break the laws of sigging! We can't have everyone running around with the same quotes. IT MAKES THEM UNFUNNY FASTER!

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2014, 10:24:52 am »

She looked around for any carrying bag and made her footsteps heard, calling out, "<Ma! Pa! I'm going off for an adventure! Be back when the sun sets, alright! Everything is with me!~>"

Obligatory conversation with parents in code, go! Hopefully they'll reply in turn!
Her mother looked her over, trying to appraise her readiness for any sort of travel. She door haltingly, as though she new the proper coded reply but couldn't fully bring herself to condone a trip of much length. "Of course dear, but please try not to push the sunset too far, you would keep your father and I up past our bedtime." The worry in her voice was clear, but Cara's father was more confident in his daughter's safety. "Let the girl stay out late! She says she'll be back with the setting sun, she'll be back. She could use some adventure; it's been a long while since she's been out on her own. Thank you for letting us know dear, we'll plan a large dinner for when you get back."

((thought the entire town was on fire, oh well put it down to Meyath being an idealist in the most part still))
((Sorry about that, it was my bad. Inconsistent use of language.))
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 10:27:08 am by Samarkand »
My Area

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2014, 10:50:34 am »

Cara beamed up at her parents' reply.

"I'll be home for dinner, I will! I'll even bring the stories to tell and much more for us all after a few more adventures."

She gave her mother a hug, then gave her father a hug. It wasn't a farewell, though, but a common gesture--she loved her parents a ton.

"Don't worry about me. You've taught me how to be safe. I'll pass by the ports and knock at the gates. See you at dinner!"

Her accent was nearly fluent in the human tongue--something unnoticed to her as she shifted from dialect to language. Her game was quite complex to any observer, yet it was more a game of the mind and memory for the family.

To the ports! Let's visit that ol' Lighthouse first, shall we?

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
Re: [IC Thread] Kurchil's Children - Day 1 - Morning
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »

Day 1 – Morning

Aetharbor

Asithi passed 30 coins to each of the two vendors in exchange for a blackjack and a dagger. The dagger was a plain thing, merely a short and thin blade attached to an inornate handle. Despite its ordinary make the dagger was comfortable in the serpen’s hand, fitting her quite naturally. This weapon was then slipped inside of her cloth pants. It wasn’t exactly ideally concealed; part of the handle stuck out above her pants and into her shirt. But from any reasonable distance the dagger would be nearly invisible, hidden by the natural ripples in the cloth. The blackjack was similarly unadorned; it could never be called anything other than ordinary. Despite this it had a simple beauty, born of the way the leather wove in and out of itself, creating a pattern which was both aesthetically appealing and functional. The weighted end was heavy in Asithi’s palm; her other hand wrapped easily around the base. This weapon was hung onto her belt at her waist. She would have like for it to be slightly more subtle, but her meagre clothing offered no places to obscure such a weapon.

Comfortably armed, and with a light enough purse that theft would be of little consequence, Asithi wandered towards the worse parts of town and started asking around for employment in debt collection. She was talking to a burly man in front of an inn called The Hairy Bear, likely named after the brute at the door, when a nearby beggar lept up and pulled her away, into a space between two houses where they could speak in private. The beggar’s tattered robes, which looked to be of some religious significance, did little to hide sores which spotted her body. Her breath reeked of alcohol as she introduced herself as Critavah. She intimated knowledge of some form of criminal group named The Grey Fog, which was apparently recruiting. She looked expectantly at Asithi, as though the name should be familiar, clearly unaware that Asithi was new in town.

Seawall

With an abundance of seawater available all that was necessary to put the fire out was to move it a couple of feet up, a task which was easily accomplished. Buckets were handed out to all volunteers and they crouched on the side of the dock, filling buckets and tossing the water on to the flames. Meyath Deepfen joined their midst, doing her part to push the fire back. A small war played out; the fire one army and the volunteers the other. Buckets of water were a superior weapon when compared to heat and ash, and the day was won when the last flames at the end of the dock were doused in water. Or rather the morning was won. What felt like an epic struggle had in reality taken less than an hour, though Meyath’s muscles complained that it must have been more. Much to her surprise herbal teas were brought forward by some women for those who had braved the flames, reportedly to help sooth their throats and repair what damage might have been done by the heat and flames swallowed while working. Meyath felt fine but drank anyway; it was free tea after all. There wasn’t much conversation; despite the victory it wasn’t cause for celebration. Everyone simply sat in silent comradery, enjoying their tea and the remainder of the sunrise. Meyath suspected she would remember these faces.

Will wandered away from the fire, trusting that others would take care of it, and made his way to into town. He inquired of a bystander if the militia was recruiting, and was informed with a sarcastic laugh that ‘the militia was never not recruiting’, and as far as Will could see that sounded promising for him. He asked where the building was, and was able to find it without trouble. It had a low lying stone fence around its perimeter, and appeared to contain a barracks, a forge, and a training yard, along with a couple of buildings whose purpose was not immediately apparent to Will. He was directed to one such building by a rather attractive female recruit who appeared to be doing her best to leave a fellow trainee black and blue.

Even though he knew which building to enter Will took a moment to watch these two spar. Their wooden swords flew through the air, rhythmically slamming together in loud cracks that split the morning air. Every so often this rhythm was punctuated by a moment of quiet when one sword slipped past the other and struck flesh. They were just barely holding back on the strikes; bruises were forming even as they fought on. Eventually Will knew he had to get back on track, having spent far too much time this morning gawking. When he entered the small building apparently responsible for bookkeeping, including of human lives, he was promptly signed up, almost without him opening his mouth. An older man showed him his bunk in the barracks, complete with a small lockbox for personal items. He was told to keep the area spotless; if he died they didn’t want a new recruit’s first job to be to clean their own bunk. It made Will think briefly on how recently the bed might have been occupied by another raw recruit. When the older man asked whether he was new in town or not Will told him that he had just come in this morning. He was then informed that policy was to have the first day free, and Will was encouraged to enjoy town while he had the time to do so, and perhaps get a feel for the layout of the town. He needn’t worry about equipment, he would be outfitted, but anything like journals or books, or other civilian items, he would need to purchase for himself. He would, of course, have a small stipend while in the militia, but the dates of pay would be discussed later. Will was to report to the front yard first thing in the morning tomorrow for an orientation of the grounds, and further explanation of his duties.

Iseaya

The pair looked somewhere between fierce and comical as they walked down the street. Varkhal understood conceptually how to use a spear, but the thing was damn awkward to carry. It’d be rather natural strapped across his back, attached to some pack, but he had to resort to carrying in his hand. Sofia didn’t find carrying the sword awkward, but she looked no less humorous. She spent the entire walk swiping at invisible creatures. She was careful to avoid hitting any people, but with the street mostly empty early in the morning she had plenty of space of flail around with a weapon which more than tripled her reach. But what looked merely like play was actually productive. Her muscles burned, promising her they would grow, and her sense of balance gradually improved; as the trip progressed she gradually lost the feeling that the sword would take her with it. She would need dedicated training time to learn to make the weapon a more natural extension of her body, and perhaps an experienced tutor, or at least an instructive book, but for now she had convinced herself that such a long sword for a small body was not as unwieldy as it might first appear.

Of course, no matter how good random swinging was for balance and muscle tone, it did little to help find a bookshop. In fact Sofia noticed a bookshop sign down a street which they did not travel, but had forgotten their purpose and so failed to mention this, and its location slipped her mind shortly thereafter. Varkhal was attentive, but simply couldn’t find a sign. He did take a path that caused them to end their search at the healer’s hut, however, so they could inquire after work even if they couldn’t acquire precious books.

Spirarbor

Cara bounded out of her parent’s house, entirely unable to contain her excitement at the prospect of an adventure. She made her way down to the lighthouse and the dock, where there was a sizable congregation of people. Stalls were set up surrounding a small clearing, vendors hoping to catch scholars and tourists alike as they came to examine the lighthouse. Some of these sold trinkets which, while beautiful, did little to catch Cara’s attention, such as miniatures of the lighthouse, or small sea animal skeletons. These were bought exclusively by the tourists. But aside from this there were a variety of books on magical subjects, some vendors specializing in the lighthouse, others just trying to sell wares to the crowd of people interested in magic in general. Amongst all of this there were clusters of scholars discussing the lighthouse, traders discussing ports they’d visited, and other discussions amongst intellectuals who chose this as a place to meet. The early morning market on Spirarbor was always a fount of knowledge, set on the backdrop of an active port and a mystical lighthouse.

Maps

Spoiler: Aethellian Coast (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Rolls (click to show/hide)
My Area

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2014, 05:20:57 pm »

Meyath looks arroud at the people who helped, looking for anyone who may be in some semblance of in charge

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2014, 05:21:57 pm »

Asithi briefly felt the urge to stab this beggar in the mouth and the eyes for her immense rudeness and terrible smell, but it quickly subsided. She had already forgotten her name.

"I'm afraid I'm not interested, ma'am. And if you do not mind, I would prefer it if you did not touch me or try to abduct me off the street. Perhaps if you were more presentable I would accept. But like this, certainly not."

If she raises an issue with this, beat her into submission with the blackjack (add liberal usage of dagger with the other hand if blackjack alone is insufficient) - try not to get any blood on my clothes, the filthy tramp is infected with all manner of disease beyond the obvious. If she allows me to leave without incident, do so.

If either process goes off without a hitch, find a place to wash up and do so. Take care in washing my weapons in particular.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:57 pm »

Meyath looks arroud at the people who helped, looking for anyone who may be in some semblance of in charge
Scanning the small crowd looking for commanding actions or postures netted Meyath some luck. She saw that one man went and personally thanked the women for bringing tea, and that some of the others went and talked to him quietly before leaving the group. She thought he was likely of some importance.

Asithi briefly felt the urge to stab this beggar in the mouth and the eyes for her immense rudeness and terrible smell, but it quickly subsided. She had already forgotten her name.

"I'm afraid I'm not interested, ma'am. And if you do not mind, I would prefer it if you did not touch me or try to abduct me off the street. Perhaps if you were more presentable I would accept. But like this, certainly not."
The woman released her quickly. "But... I can help you! I'm sure of it! Please, I just need some whiskey! I can set up a meeting and everything! I used to work for them! Please! You don't know what it's like living here."
My Area

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2014, 05:32:19 pm »

"Though we haven't managed to find a bookstore, at the very least we didn't get lost on our way to the hut." Varkhal remarked as he arrived at the location, stopping several feet away from the hut. After a few moments standing around awkwardly and trying to think of a way of calling the healer's attention without sounding rude, the young man opted to do exactly what he was doing - wait - for a while more and then move on to calling before taking noisier measures, such as clapping his hands.

Wait around to see whether the healer appears. In case she doesn't, try to call her in order to ascertain whether she's around.

Spoiler: Varkhal Damhöln (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magical Style (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 12:57:27 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

wolfchild

• Bay Watcher
  • Wyvern Buddy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2014, 05:33:25 pm »

Meyath brushes herself off and approaches him, waiting until he appears less busy

[glow=green]"Hi, I just arrived"[/glow]

Spoiler: Meyath Deepfen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spells (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2014, 05:48:48 pm »

"Perhaps you can arrange a meeting for yourself, then, and make some money to spend on whiskey or whatever else catches your fancy. As for me, I will be leaving."

Leave. Defensive protocols outlined previously still in effect. Continue job search. Expand query to guard duty.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11