Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Nothing invades or attacks my fortress (not even animals)  (Read 15956 times)

Ataman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing invades or attacks my fortress (not even animals)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »

I have no idea, doesn't Mayday and other packs use modified raws?
I thought you can't run a mayday save with vanilla df.

Ataman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 06:44:28 pm »

Started new game with .05
Bug still present. 3 Birds are stuck mid air and any wildlife ceased movement.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2014, 04:53:13 am »

Yeah I been struggling with this too.

It worked to remove all the [FLIER] tags from the raws.  I did this to a world in progress and my 6 ravens dropped out of the sky from where they had been hanging for 3 years since embark.  Sure enough I get new critters entering the map and can only hope that means invasions work correctly, though i've yet to see anything more than early bandit groups on any v40 fort coming from the surface.  I do now have critters in the caverns and have seen a few FBs appearing.  Note that you need to fix more than birds and birds_new, there are half a dozen raws containing [FLIER].

Incidentally...  do 'bolds and gobs no longer appear on your civ screen after contact?  I had a couple of forts see snatchers that escaped the site, and one took 6 goblins in a 'force of vile darkness' where 3 escaped but neither fort had a civ appear on the 'c' screen.  Does this indicate those entities were bandits?
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ataman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2014, 06:33:51 am »

Deleting [FLIER] from the raws after world generation didn't work for me.
It does work pre-world-generation but not after.

Since I'm sick of generating new worlds without [FLIER] I stopped playing.

At the moment there is absolutely no point in playing without megabeasts, invasions or other creatures.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2014, 06:37:20 am »

Ahh common mistake, but you can still fix a running game!

Deleting [FLIER] from the main RAWs after world generation wont do anything at all!   

Unless you alter the correct set of RAWs that is, which as the world is already running are the set bundled into the save folder and not the master RAW set (which is only ever used at world generation).  This is always the way it works fyi when tweaking RAWs.  If its a running game then tweak the set of RAWs inside the regionN folder.

With this fixed up the game is running much more as I expect.  FBs in the caverns, proper critter recycling for my hunters/trappers, a weregoat...  Just no no goblins
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 06:39:48 am by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Ataman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2014, 06:51:11 am »

I did indeed tried to fix the main RAWs.
I'll give it a last shot later and try to fix the savefiles itself.

Goblin invaders have multiple bugs at the moment. But I'm fine with that, I'll just challenge the elves instead. (When it starts working again).

EDIT:
Fixing the correct raws worked indeed.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:12:14 am by Ataman »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:08 pm »

I replaced all the flier tags in everything with notepad++ - even the .exe file at first, don't do that - and now, in .05, I'm getting regular invasions of emus, gray langurs and the occasional raven or fox. No sieges or bandits and only one titan in the first year. I'm getting up to 300k value and have over 100 dwarves.

Usually by now I should be up to my ears in goblinite with a few crippled dwarves limping around. I hope Toady takes care of this before the next hiatus

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2014, 05:27:13 pm »

He would have to, if he wants to keep focusing on the game full-time. If we go too long without threats, we'll get bored quicker. Which means his whales will get bored quicker. Which means his funding will be cut unless he takes direct action and fixes the game. I'm sure he knows this, he's just knocking out the more minor bugs and doing some optimization first.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 04:57:38 am »

Someone asked Toady about this problem and he replied:

This is the first time I've heard about it, and I have no idea why it is happening.  I've seen plenty of invasions, but long-term forts aren't a common thing for me to test for time reasons.  I don't think the camp message has anything to do with it, since that seems very common, and it wouldn't change or be changed by the neighbor status.  I'll just have to check out saves and see what is going on.  Losing neighbor status would be trouble for various reasons, assuming they aren't being conquered etc.

So someone should definitely make a bug report. I'm shy about it since my last 3 or 4 ended up being duplicates or oversights on my part. The bug is definitely there in this case though, my fortress is up to 600k value don't even know what year anymore and still no enemies after the first titan.

EDIT: Never mind, it's been done: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=7739
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:01:03 am by Deboche »

Ataman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 05:57:23 pm »

I reported the bug already and it got marked as a duplicate linked to another report about fliers getting stuck.

Sadly that's not the point. Yes, the bug keeps fliers in mid air but the 'original' issue doesn't mention the consenquences and is marked minor. Under these circumstances I'm not surprised Toady didn't hear of it yet.
Because a bug that says "Birds stuck in air" doesn't read as important as "Birds stuck in air blocking Invaders, Megabeasts and Wildlife from entering the map".
Now we got the lacking report marked as 'assigned' and the full report marked 'resolved'.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 06:00:28 pm »

The invaders I suspect are more than just the birds being bugged, it's likely to have to do with broken neighbour pathing which is a more serious problem.  The titans and FB's do seem to work properly at least.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 10:10:45 pm »

Yeah. I figured this would be the case, hadn't got around to verifying it.

"Birds stuck in air blocking Invaders, Megabeasts and Wildlife from entering the map".

This is why 40.0x is stupidly easy when compared to 34.11, on the whole.  Nothing ever comes.  I watched an eagle sit broken in the sky, in the same spot, for over a year on my 8 year yawnfest fortress that had over 1000 titans on the map.

Good find, hopefully it gets fixed very soon.  As you say, without regular invasions... well, it's simply less fun. :)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2014, 04:22:03 am »

Sadly that's not the point. Yes, the bug keeps fliers in mid air but the 'original' issue doesn't mention the consenquences and is marked minor. Under these circumstances I'm not surprised Toady didn't hear of it yet.
Because a bug that says "Birds stuck in air" doesn't read as important as "Birds stuck in air blocking Invaders, Megabeasts and Wildlife from entering the map".
That's not even the worst of it. Flyers or no flyers, there aren't any sieges after the first year. Still, given Toady's reply, I think he's probably taking care of it now

Ataman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 02:29:58 pm »

That's not even the worst of it. Flyers or no flyers, there aren't any sieges after the first year. Still, given Toady's reply, I think he's probably taking care of it now

Yeah I think so as well :) Looking forward to killing goblins again.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 02:32:12 pm by Ataman »

macscarfe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 03:41:02 pm »

v40.05 in a sinister area, with gobs and two towers as neighbours ... it's the 21st of Hematite I've broken into and sealed off a section of the 1st lvl caverns and nothing on the "others" list has moved since I "discovered" them. That's the two undead who appeared within the first week after embark, and all the critters in the caverns, amphibian tribesmen, and cave croc's such. They could all easily get to me but not a single one has moved a single square. The only things moving are the dwarfs, tame animals and vermin. Sigh and went someplace with scarce trees so I wouldn't have a problem with stuck fliers.

P.S. Expecting bad things causes them to appear to happen more often. So out of curiosity I loaded up the save and sent my brave woodcutter to cut a tree next to one of the undead on the edge of the map, when I got within 10 to 15 squares it came to "life" and attacked .. perhaps they simply haven't detected me and lack of random wanderings around the map made me "noobily" assume the worst. Either way save is backed up and ready to be posted if needed.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:02:02 pm by macscarfe »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4