Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: talkin bout advanced world gen and tempature.  (Read 496 times)

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
talkin bout advanced world gen and tempature.
« on: July 26, 2014, 11:29:01 am »

during times from the new content, I still try to figurew out stuff from previous.

during my travels I still cannot figure out the advanced world gen paramaters of tempature.  the value is a -1000 to 1000 for min and max temp.  saw a thread that it might be based not on absolute 0 but 9960 or something like that.

was wondering if anybody ever figured out that the numbers mean and/or if they know the starting poing?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: talkin bout advanced world gen and tempature.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 02:33:21 pm »

I'm also interested in knowing this, I always make a patchwork small world for my games and I'd like to force more temperate regions... and get rid of the extremes like scorching and freezing and so...

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 04:47:03 pm »

well I been doing advance woprld gens with extremes

I would have a -1000 and a 1000 parameter difference and I notice where it says "no trade" the temp is too great either hot or cold(either me dwarvies melt or they shatter within in like 5 seconds to 5 minutes real time)

I also noticed that if you go with the same number with both of them that the world gen tends to have problems unless the numbers are 35 to 65 respectfully.

I was hoping that each point of the -1000/1000 range equaled a degree urist, but alas I think not

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:47 am »

Grr, it'd be quite helpful if there was a "i don't fucking care how unusable the world is, _don't_ auto-reject!" setting in worldgen. It's pretty much impossible examining the effect of world settings when each world gets auto-rejected after ~5 mins of painfully slow initial generation.

The one world that miraculously was created at all was an extremely flat, no-temperature-variance world with a "temperature" setting of zero. Temperature rose continuously with latitude, from south to north. The southern 96 regions rows were tundra/glacier, the northmost ~16 were probably hot (couldn't generate it with a fort-able civ). The temperature map's a very regular black-to-grey gradient 4096 pixels high; the bottom ~400 are 000000, the top is cacaca. The gradient seems to be steeper at the outer edges (although that's speculative at the bottom) and flatter in the centre - on the "hot" edge, the colour values go up ~15 points over 100 pixels, while over the whole range from pixels 1500-2600 (1100 pixels total), they change by the same amount.

There's a notable natural temperature gradient between the "polar" and "equatorial" edges of the map, and afaik the "temperature" setting in the game applies a variation to this underlying gradient. Standard is 25-75, which suggests it's calibrated with 50 as baseline. How exactly temperature settings change that is hard to say, since creating worlds for reference is kind of difficult (see above). It's definitely possible to get far above +100 or below -200 °C with extreme settings, that much is certain.

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 07:29:33 am »

i have played around with advanced world gen a bit and
A) you do eventually get a "i don't fucking care how unusable the world is, _don't_ auto-reject!" setting after enough rejects. if you want to get to this part early, then make the rejects at the very start of generation (absurd mountain peak number maybe?)

B) the easiest way to test what a setting does is copy one of the default settings and then change that one parameter. setting the minimum and maximum temperature to 50 (as opposed to 25-75) will give you a world where temperature is a smooth gradient north to south, with no random variance, freezing to scorching

-50 to 150 will give you patches of scorching at the cold end of the world, and patches of freezing at the hot end (assuming you have a high enough temp x/y variance) - can make an interesting patchwork

somewhat more interesting is that biomes are sometimes partially determined by temperature but other times by latitude. glacier and tundra is always freezing (and both can appear at the hot end of the world), while it is still possible to have tropical forests that are freezing- tropical / temperate distinction is almost entirely lattitude (probably taiga can be scorching and arctic oceans too, but i havent checked since i usually want my giant cats).

so the -1000/1000 range might be in degree celciurist ( centred a bit below water's freezing point)

joojoo1975

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 11:44:24 am »

well the initial reason for setting extreme temps, was I wanted a season where no one could be outside.

one of my biggest obstacles for DF is the game is either too easy or too hard(per say)

I could settle where there is shallow and deep metals and have coke or bit. coal.  in which case my army is totally decked out shield bashers(my squads never carry weps, but have 2 copper (or whatever metal is avail.)shields.)

or a settle where it's just soil, and I live off of what I can trade/take from koboldies/goblies.

but then again, I also hardly ever play with big dwarf pops as my quad core intel i5-3570k, 8 gig ram win 8 machine can't really handle it.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:07:04 pm »

i have played around with advanced world gen a bit and
A) you do eventually get a "i don't fucking care how unusable the world is, _don't_ auto-reject!" setting after enough rejects. if you want to get to this part early, then make the rejects at the very start of generation (absurd mountain peak number maybe?)

Oh, great tip! Thanks.