Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarven Research: Ranged Weapons Even More Powerful in 40.XX?  (Read 11839 times)

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Research: Ranged Weapons Even More Powerful in 40.XX?
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 02:32:30 pm »

Before equipment damage comes into play it would be a good idea to have more weapon/armor shops were more prevalent than they currently are, along with commissioning armor of your size being A Thing.
Naturally you would then also be able to shell out some cash to repair your gear in the respective shops.
Do armor shops actually sell armor in the current version?  In 34.11, even if you managed to find an armor shop, it usually did not have armor (5133).  The bug has not been marked as fixed yet, so if armor is at least relatively prevalent now we should report it as fixed (It is quite possible that it was fixed indirectly when the world "awakened").  Otherwise, you may want to amend "more" armor to "any"...

I can say that I visited a dwarf fortress that was full of forges, but didn't seem to be selling any armor at the trade depot.  I haven't yet found any armor shops in human cities, but I haven't played adventure mode much yet.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 10:50:23 pm »

I've found two weapon shops and one armor shop (in the same city as one of the weapon shops) so far, and I haven't been visiting towns a lot.

DF worlds are usually pretty brutal though, so having them be a bit more prevalent would make sense. (And it would certainly be handy considering that you'll be running back to them pretty often.)

oh_no

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2014, 10:52:19 am »

I've found two weapon shops and one armor shop (in the same city as one of the weapon shops) so far, and I haven't been visiting towns a lot.

DF worlds are usually pretty brutal though, so having them be a bit more prevalent would make sense. (And it would certainly be handy considering that you'll be running back to them pretty often.)
I assume that since you didn't state otherwise that both the weapon and armor shops actually sold weapons and armor, respectively?  In 34.11 armor shops were always empty.  It was also nearly impossible to find ammo, backpacks, and several other things I can't remember right now in shops.  If you found armor in a shop, it sounds like 5133 is fixed, and you should post a comment about that on the bug tracker.

Update - I have confirmed that at least sometimes armor shops actually sell armor now.  I found one shop in one city that had armor in it.  To get this, I generated a medium world with mineral frequency set to maximum, and the shop I found had lots of iron (and other) armor.  I will post a comment about this to the tracker.

I also found a bowyer shop which was empty, so I don't think the bug is totally fixed, but being able to buy armor at all is a major plus.  I agree that the shops are a bit rare, given that in Dwarf Fortress pretty much everything is trying to kill everything else, so the need for weapons and armor is pretty high, but at least they exist now.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:45:31 pm by Pirate Bob »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]