Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.4]Sieged by ... dwarves?  (Read 775 times)

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.40.4]Sieged by ... dwarves?
« on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:18 am »

playing in 0.40.4 .. quite anice fort .. but with a few too lazy farmers .. so booze is low ...

all of a sudden a posse of 15 heavy armed dwarfes siege my castle ...

i managed to wall my dwarfes in .. but due to lazy planter and grower booze is 0 ...

so my question is ...

is that normal? the came in the spring of the second year ...

right now i mine for minerals (yey volcano) and hope to have them go away and the elves come with booze before drying out ...

is there a way to see who is attacking me there? i did not find the names of the dwarfes anywhere in the civ list

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.4]Sieged by ... dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 11:16:46 am »

Sounds like bandits, which are new in DF2014. They can siege as early as your first year, and they can be from any civilized race (except kobolds, I think).

If you don't already have access to fresh water within your fort, I'd suggest making that a priority before your dwarfs dehydrate. Breach a river, dig for cavern water, whatever it takes.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 05:43:45 pm »

I've definitely seen kobolds bandits in adventurer mode, so I would think they could be bandits in fortress mode. On that note, has anybody seen animalmen bandits? I've seen what seem to be animalmen bandits in legendsviewer, but that was the last version and I think they were just vampires. However, they might have been vampires that became bandits.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 09:02:15 pm »

playing in 0.40.4 .. quite anice fort .. but with a few too lazy farmers .. so booze is low ...

I seriously doubt your dwarves are lazy, more likely there is something wrong with the setup. for example, are the seeds walled outside the fortress? Are the fields set to grow plants every season?

You can also dig down to the first caverns and harvest plants, the first cavern is generally fairly safe, just pop in, harvest a bunch of plants, and block it off again.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

schussel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:59:45 am »

actually they really were on a massive streak of breaks and running under the command "only dwarfes harvest" ...
i changed that ... a child picked up a few longland weeds and that jumpstarted everything ...

now everything is fine besides a minor rampage of immigrant almost legendary smith, who went into a fey mood using a magma forge that just was above a flooding magma basin ... so depth changed constantly between 3-4-5 .. deactivating it, sending this bugger into a rampage that costed 4 dwarfes lifes ...

but it was fine that one of my scouting cats chained to the main stockpile chamber managed to kill off one of the berzerking dwarfes :)

for now everything is calm ..with no attackers or kobolds nonetheless