Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is wrong with necromancers?  (Read 2923 times)

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is wrong with necromancers?
« on: July 26, 2014, 06:01:40 pm »

I turned into a necromancer as my previous adventurer, and, after killing a minotaur, i revived it, and it remained hostile to me. I witnessed a similar thing happen to the good old folks at vinesauce playing the most recent version and, I seem to have concluded that in this edition, creatures retain the same hostilities they had before being raised as zombies, which includes LIKELY HOW MOST NECROMANCERS GAINED THEIR CORPSES (meaning if you kill something and then raise it as undead, it will head over to you to continue trying to kill you). Any idea what's up with that? This seems rather silly.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with necromancers?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 06:07:46 pm »

The minotaur that I gathered the corpse of wasn't hostile to me, although it kept attacking the other zombies. The fact that I was a vampire necromancer may have had something to do with it.

The allegiance stuff is pretty screwy right now.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 06:29:58 pm »

I WAS a vampire necromancer. I think that means the other zombies were the ones it was actually fighting at the time. I saw a necromancer crossbowman companion of mine attack a beached great white shark. I'm not sure what happened but there was an undead great white shark, a dead necromancer, and two undead, hostile necromancer hands after.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 12:51:06 am »

Yep, Necromancer's are a bit scatter-shot right now.
It isn't that rare to walk up to a necromancer's tower and see zombies mutilating one of the necromancers.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:18:00 am »

I saw a lets player go into a tower, get killed by the necromancer they fought, get revived as a zombie, and then the corpse continued to fight the necromancer until the necromancer's head exploded from a punch

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 04:55:08 am »

My experience with necromancers and towers has been somewhat strange.

Tower1: With the first adventurer I used to assualt this tower, the necromancers simply ran out screaming before I have even entered.
They where easy pickings, but still raised corpses. These corpses where hostile,  and death followed.

I then continued to investigate the tower with other adventurers. Two were felled by the same dwarf zombie(outside).

My next adventurer, though, killed the zombie and walked into the tower. There were a few zombies left, but they were not hostile.

Tower2: As I enter, I see a whole room of zombies. One or two are hostile, the others just stand there, waiting to be attacked. Great way to train weapon skills.

Tower3: As I approach, a solitary necromancer flees from the tower. I kill him, waltz in, no corpses. I read a book, gain immortality, and only then, upon further exploration of the tower, do I find a small room filled with goblin zombies. Non-hostile.

Furthermore, the zombies I raised were also non-hostile. Granted, they were simply peasant skeletons I found in a tomb, but they should be hostile.

I guess the raising of non-hostile corpses(civilians) results in non-hostile undead.
Is this a bug?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 04:58:59 am by EinsteinSatDown »

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:19:45 am »

And its a damn shame they are broken too because it seems this update you can get necromancers from random mead halls as followers.

Chimpanzee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:46:22 am »

I entered a necromancer tower. None of the undead were hostile to me, instead they attacked the necromancer, who was friendly to me. I could just pick up some books and go away. After becoming a necromancer any undead I raised were not hostile to me.
"I am a Legandary Weaver! Nobody handles cloth like me"
"Yeah, that's great. Hey, are you done? If so, we need to smelt this ten thousand large load of hematite. I'll see you next month."
"WHAT AN OUTRAGE! I AM A LIVING LEGEND! I SHOULD BE WEAVING"
"That's nice. Tell you what, pretend you are weaving metal out of this ore. Now get to work."

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 07:57:13 am »

0.40.05:

I walk into a tower, with all the corpses being non-hostile.

I attack the only necromancer(the others are outside).
He pulls out his slicing knife, and is subsequently killed by the corpses.

After killing the necro, they just keep on ignoring me.
Immortality is once again easily attained.

I think that the A.I changes for other entities has made the undead somewhat buggy in 2014.

Still Fun, though.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 07:59:16 am by EinsteinSatDown »

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 04:21:53 pm »

I went to a mead hall and found a friendly necromancer, but when I accused him of being a night creature he denied it.
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 04:55:06 pm »

I went to a mead hall and found a friendly necromancer, but when I accused him of being a night creature he denied it.

Necromancers are not night creatures.

IRON_GAUNTLET

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 05:22:57 pm »

Yeah, they spent some more stuff browsing the DF wiki and reading about the definitions then you did. Take a hint from your fellow necromancer and learn what these things actually mean, before you start wrongly calling out evil deviants as night creatures. Because that's just racist.
bay12: the place where the simulated mass murder of children is acceptable and even encouraged, but a demographic survey is controversial.

Dasqoot

• Bay Watcher
  • He-wenching for the cause.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 04:13:38 pm »

The problems with allegiance are baffling in all modes.

I embarked on a necro tower, the ten necros living there were killed by their zombies, the 3 necros visiting there guarded my wagon and made friends with my dwarves. The zombies were hostile to all but one dwarf, who they left alive to wander their tower and destroy their tables.

I was sure this dwarf was a vampire, so I retired the fort, checked legends, and she wasn't a vampire. So I unretired. The undead are still not hostile to only this one dwarf and her 7 year old kid, the other 13 dwarves got killed. And the 30 goblins that are now living at the tower are listed as hostile to me, but the zombies, goblins and my one dwarf all get along fine. There's a zombie and a goblin clothier living in my dining hall.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:05:58 pm »

The problems with allegiance are baffling in all modes.

I embarked on a necro tower, the ten necros living there were killed by their zombies, the 3 necros visiting there guarded my wagon and made friends with my dwarves. The zombies were hostile to all but one dwarf, who they left alive to wander their tower and destroy their tables.

I was sure this dwarf was a vampire, so I retired the fort, checked legends, and she wasn't a vampire. So I unretired. The undead are still not hostile to only this one dwarf and her 7 year old kid, the other 13 dwarves got killed. And the 30 goblins that are now living at the tower are listed as hostile to me, but the zombies, goblins and my one dwarf all get along fine. There's a zombie and a goblin clothier living in my dining hall.

Do any or all of these creatures crave the flesh of elves?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:11:00 am »

I've found out the hard way how screwy the zombie alliegance stuff is,leading to one of the most epic fails I've experienced so far.
Picked up a random bowman necromancer in my starting mead hall. Later on I kill a town's lord and take over it, only for the necro to raise the dead lord, who proceeds to kill him by exploding his head, then kills me and my other companion in revenge for mutilating his body.
Hope this gets fixed, seems like it would be cool to have a necromancer companion but it doesn't end well.
Pages: [1] 2