Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World Gens  (Read 6834 times)

lurtze1

• Bay Watcher
  • Worshipper of the god of total chaos
    • View Profile
World Gens
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:15:30 am »

I was wondering if there were any different world gens available.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Gens
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 08:01:44 am »

Standards?

You can make your own, you know.

My basic "world" has high volcanism, lots of visible caves, and I changed cavern openness to the maximum so that I have these vast underground halls.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 08:23:40 am »

Standards?

You can make your own, you know.

My basic "world" has high volcanism, lots of visible caves, and I changed cavern openness to the maximum so that I have these vast underground halls.
Out of curiosity, what is a good example set of numbers that produces high volcanism without endless rejected worlds?

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 11:59:34 am »

Easiest way to do that is just use PerfectWorld.  You can tweak it pretty much completely in that.  The only rejected worlds I get are when there are not enough viable places to start all the civilizations.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 12:23:46 pm »

I've never used PerfectWorld, so I'll have to go try that.

I generally just plug in the numbers and walk away. If I come back in 30 minutes and it rejected 70 worlds before making a good one, it makes no difference to me. :)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 09:33:32 am »

Perfect World is your friend.

What's fun sometimes is getting a height map of some world/region you know of from elsewhere, and using that. You can get these in all sorts of ways - I found a nice one made of Tamriel (Elder Scrolls) that I massaged into the right datatype and I generate worlds based on sections of that. Or if you want something "real" you can get the data from something like USGS

Basically you want an 8-bit greyscale image, 0 (black) being the lowest elevation and 255 (white) the highest.

If you want the processed/converted tamriel hightmap I can probably hook you up but it's very large, and thus you need to scale and crop for a given region you want to play on.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:35:31 am by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 09:44:30 am »

If you want the processed/converted tamriel hightmap I can probably hook you up but it's very large, and thus you need to scale and crop for a given region you want to play on.

Um, Skyrim! Of course! :)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 09:50:53 am »

Um, Skyrim! Of course! :)

Alrighty! I'll put a link up for you. I can't remember what dimensions Perfect World limits you to (it tells you, somewhere) so you will need to scale and/or crop. I'd also recommend playing with the levels to adjust height distribution. GIMP can do all of that, if you don't have it or something else for the task.

EDIT: here you go!
tb9Tamriel_h_01a001.png - converted from RAW, not modified otherwise (that I can remember) (PNG, 20481 x 16385, 8-bit grayscale)
tb9Tamriel_h_01a001_processed.png - the above, with levels adjusted and scaled down somewhat (maybe some other tweaks) (PNG, 6843 x 6843, 8-bit gray+alpha)

Note the first is HUGE and might crash your browser if you view it directly. The second one is big too, but not nearly as much. I think the alpha channel on the second is a leftover, you can probably apply it and/or drop it if it causes you problems (I used it with a mask layer and some magic to black out the ocean, with a soft transition)

SOURCE ATTRIBUTION: original by Transbot9 @ Skyrim Nexus
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:03:21 am by draeath »
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 10:07:59 am »

You rock. :)

Clearly I need Nords for more human forts. :)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 01:22:23 pm »

You rock. :)

Clearly I need Nords for more human forts. :)

Humans: (no real need to subdivide, humans are humans)
Imperial -> Human
Nord -> Human
Breton -> Human
Redguard -> Human

Mer:
Bosmer -> Elf
Altmer -> Elf
Dunmer -> Elf
Falmer -> Drow
Dwemer -> Dwarf (of course!)
Orsimer -> Orcs (duh!)

Beast/Other:
Argonian -> Kobold
Khajiit -> I have no clue
Aedra -> I have no clue
Daedra -> Night Creatures / Demons?
Goblins -> Goblins (no, really?)

So... can you tell I've played a lot of Elder Scrolls? :D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 01:32:48 pm by draeath »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 01:52:43 pm »

You guy know that there is a very large TES total conversion for DF? Right? Right.. ? :P
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

draeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 01:59:28 pm »

You guy know that there is a very large TES total conversion for DF? Right? Right.. ? :P

Sure, but it ain't MDF. I'd rather perform a few mental gymnastics and play your mod instead :D

Guthbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2014, 02:14:56 pm »

I did not know that. Is it any good? I don't really get too far out of my comfort zone. :)

Angle

• Bay Watcher
  • 39 Indigo Spear Questions the Poor
    • View Profile
    • Agora Forum Demo!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2014, 03:04:03 pm »

High volcanism is easy, just go into your worldgen file and set the volcanoes to like a thousand or so (You can't do this in game, but you can do it with a text editor and it works.) Then set the volcanism weighted range to 2x2 and the high volcanism areas to like 5 or so. If you want limestone too you can set the low volcanism areas to 5 too and set volcanism x and y variances to 3200.

Agora: open-source platform to facilitate complicated discussions between large numbers of people. Now with test site!

The Temple of the Elements: Quirky Dungeon Crawler

kreepergrimms

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2014, 07:42:23 pm »

is there any way to speed up world gen?
Pages: [1] 2