Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Enhanced Kitchen control  (Read 2195 times)

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Enhanced Kitchen control
« on: July 27, 2014, 02:11:15 pm »

Now that we have several times as many plants, we could really benefit from a better way to control how they get used. The 'z' Kitchen menu currently allows enabling/disabling Cooking and Brewing. Additional options for Milling, Threshing, Eating, Feed(ing animals), and (saving) Seeds would be very helpful for managing fortress plant stores. Milling and Threshing can already be controlled via linked stockpiles, though it can be a bit tedious. Plants (and meats) to eat and feed to animals are not currently controllable short of forbidding all the undesired items. Finally, having an option to not save seeds for certain crops would be very handy since crops are limited to the site's specific biome. For example, when purchasing tropical fruit from the elves your fortress steadily accumulates a supply of seeds that will never grow in the local temperate climate, and serve only to tie up bags and stockpile space. Excluding those seeds from stockpiles is even worse, since dwarves will waste a new bag for each group of seeds.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Enhanced Kitchen control
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 10:44:50 pm »

As for the seeds, I assigned all the non-dwarven ones to get cooked and they eventually disappear.

Your suggestion has a lot of merit though. It'd be interesting to have a way of controlling how many rock nuts go into the fields, how many get crushed and so on. And now there's rice, which if I'm not mistakened is both a seed and food so a toggle of "cook if there are more than x" would be nice.

Also with animal populations there could be a setting to butcher when the pop got to a certain size - set it to butcher all adult males until there's only 1 left and all females until there are 3 for example.

Also automatic collect sand and clay if there's less than x of it available.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 10:46:22 pm by Deboche »

Nikita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 08:20:29 am »

I like it, especially options like setting which foods to eat and which not to.

plump helmet                     cook    brew    eat
plump helmet spawn            cook    brew    eat
tallow                                 cook    brew    eat
dwarven wine                       cook    brew    eat

Why? Well maybe you only have a limited amount of something and you don't want your dwarves eating all of your remaining supply, but you still want it usable for other things.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 05:47:41 pm »

I like it, especially options like setting which foods to eat and which not to.
It would be nice to set eggs on the don't eat list, so you don't have to lock your egg layers in little rooms, or hover your cursor over nesting boxes to forbid eggs the second they are laid.
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

If you set eggs to not be cooked nor stockpiled, it usually won't be a problem

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:35:12 pm »

If you set eggs to not be cooked nor stockpiled, it usually won't be a problem
I thought they were eating them raw.... dang.  So I'll just make sure to disable eggs on my food stockpiles.  Thanks!
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

R@bbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2014, 11:51:41 am »

I like the idea of enhanced kitchen control.  Currently, in the "Kitchen" menu you can only specify what is done to items that are already in your fort.  I would like it if you could expand the menu to specify what is done to items that are currently not present in your fort or if you could specify what is done to entire categories of items.  For example, it would be nice to specify whether dwarves are to cook with all tallow rather than whether dwarves are to cook with honey badger tallow alone.  It would also be functional (yet a bit time-consuming) if you could expand the menu and disable cooking for each tallow type individually.  With the fort that I have now, if a previously unspecified type of tallow ends up in the food stockpile, it is usually cooked before I can disable cooking for it, which means that I cannot use it to make soap. Soap is important in the current version for happy thoughts and medical applications.

On a side note, why do we have "honey badger tallow" at all?  Why don't all animals simply produce "tallow?"

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2014, 01:24:20 pm »

That'd be solved if tallow and alcohol were simply set by default to not get cooked

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 01:26:33 pm »

Sorry for the derail, but I am slightly disappointed that this was not a kitchenbot spam thread.

8)
This is a blank sig.

R@bbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2014, 06:46:00 pm »

That would also work, Deboche.  Your solution is the most simple and that would solve the problem :)    I am not sure if the change would ever be made to have not cooking tallow be the default.  If it is or if it isn't, having control over food stuffs that are not yet in the fortress stockpile would also be desirable.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2014, 11:18:10 am »

It would be a good idea to specify quantities, both by numeric (ego. 50 apples maximum to be brewed or a minimum of 10 floor to be cooked) and proportion (no more than 60% of milk to be used in cooking).
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2014, 11:26:21 am »

Well, there is standing production orders on the devlist. Which is basically.... if no booze, and there's barrels and plants, brew booze. This would quickly automise 50% of all fortresses.

We'll get job priority first though.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2014, 04:32:57 pm »

Just thought of another nice toggle to have: "Rations", after the fourth time my dwarves decided to run out onto an active battlefield to collect the seeds that soldiers deposited after consuming raw plants while on duty. Disabling raw plants for use as rations would stop them from spreading seeds everywhere they're stationed.