Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released  (Read 37451 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released
« on: July 27, 2014, 05:19:18 pm »

Download (Click refresh on your browser if it doesn't show up)

This is a bug fix and optimization release, which is probably something we should get used to for a while, since there is a lot left to do!  I've tried to make it possible to play in larger worlds again, but there's also more that can be done.

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed several large slow-down culprits
   (*) Stopped trees from growing through floors
   (*) Fixed a problem causing the suspension of constructions (old saves with affected jobs will still need to restart them) (ag)
   (*) Fixed a few problems with hospital code causing them to overstock item (ag)
   (*) Fixed problem stopping underground fishing (UristDaVinci/Quietust)
   (*) Made cultures that oppose intruders more lax when in places controlled by less wary groups (one cause of marketplace knifefights)
   (*) Made adventure-mode ambushers somewhat more in tune with their task
   (*) Made master soldiers stop reverting back to corresponding regular soldier type
   (*) Fixed crash that could occur when looking at adventure log while traveling

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Stopped clearing professions upon achieving master soldier type
   (*) Fixed the population cap
   (*) Made it possible to detect plantings too late in the season again (Quietust)
   (*) Stopped migrants from retaining certain adv/etc. flags harmful to their integration into the fort (making them 'hostile')  Note: those from old saves might take off articles of clothing and store them and other strange things, since the integration could not be made complete easily...
   (*) Fixed problem with non-entity armies/travelers failing to evaluate nearby creatures properly
   (*) Tried to improve prioritization for creatures trying to handle many targets, especially w/ extra senses (caused combat AI paralysis)
   (*) Stopped fliers from wanting to jump (and sometimes colliding mid-air)
   (*) Added some basic climbing skill to wg/etc. soldiers, esp. thieves
   (*) Vermin can escape from non-artifact containers properly (Quietust)
   (*) Caravans check weapon type properly for material selection (Quietust)
   (*) Diplomats that wanted bodyguards should get them now (Quietust)
   (*) Stopped aquarium check from turning off other vermin code (Quietust)
   (*) Fixed crash that happened in the arena when doing v-p on a dwarf with a weapon
   (*) Creature art value considered properly by civs now (Quietust)
   (*) Fixed problem dividing out item milligrams in weapon velocities (UristDaVinci)
   (*) Can now melt metal chests (Quietust)
   (*) Handled a few problems causing extra/erroneous long patrol thoughts (Quietust)
   (*) Made children get full list of default labors upon growing up and respected any existing skills
   (*) Stopped migrant historical children from receiving labors
   (*) Made underground populations properly respect layer size (the numbers can get very high, but blame the giant under-ocean caves in part)
   (*) Stopped hyper-obese digesting dwarves from constantly recalculating insulation/mass data (ag)
   (*) Fixed some problems causing certain jobs to check too many items (angavrilov/Quietust)
   (*) Allowed egg-laying critters without baby/child state to have viable eggs
   (*) Stopped listing dead non-fort animals/etc. as missing
   (*) Fixed a rounding error with projectile calculations (Pirate Bob/UristDaVinci)
   (*) Adjusted contact area/depth of ammo, max velocity of shooters (Joben)
   (*) Fixed a problem causing saplings to grow up 10x as fast as they should
   (*) Stopped sparring from being placed in combat reports
   (*) Displayed proper key for viewing agreements in civ screen
   (*) Stopped dwarves from swiping hospital goods from the caravan
   (*) Made the game respect more circumstances whereby medical inventory items are removed (fixing the crutch speed bug, for instance)
   (*) Stopped ghosts from being able to realize dreams after they are dead
   (*) Fixed problem where tools made from adamantine wafers required the wrong material amounts (Quietust)
   (*) Fixed problem with seed initialization for mid-level maps that could cause inconsistency (Quietust)
   (*) Fixed broken lack of cage/chain thought for law dwarf (Quietust)
   (*) Adjustments to animal people frequencies (see file_changes.txt)
   (*) Made king cobra people legless like other snake people
   (*) Fixed a problem causing the tortoises not to appear
   (*) Made random creature spines connect up properly
   (*) Fixed material values for obsidian (UristDaVinci)
   (*) Various typos fixed (see file_changes.txt) (thanks to Gorobay for finding most of these)
   (*) Re-added elven diplomacy, though it is still unchanged from its first incarnation
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 05:20:26 pm »

Thanks Toady!

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 05:25:02 pm »

Wow, I saw this mere minutes after its release.
Thanks!
Also, I find that a lot of these bugs are funny.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2014, 05:28:39 pm »

Another 77 bite the dust!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 05:30:37 pm »

Awesome. Does this fix sneak issues in some way?  ???
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 05:32:30 pm »

Not the main one of bonking somebody in the back of the head and them not caring, if that's what you mean.  I'll get there at some point during all of this.  Ambushes should be somewhat more effective, anyway, and more critters will fight back that were just sitting there.  It'll be a somewhat long process of digging the problems out of their minds.

GM-X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • AdventRPG.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 05:39:16 pm »

Not the main one of bonking somebody in the back of the head and them not caring, if that's what you mean.  I'll get there at some point during all of this.  Ambushes should be somewhat more effective, anyway, and more critters will fight back that were just sitting there.  It'll be a somewhat long process of digging the problems out of their minds.

Sounds good. As far as creatures not fighting back, is that related to lack of bravery, activity level, or any other new personality settings?
Dark Ages IV: DF & Skyrim mods + Survival Sims 
http://AdventRPG.com/

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 05:42:07 pm »

I almost had a heart attack when I heard my Page Monitor's overpowering alarm sound (which I have now normalized in volume).
Good job once again, Toady! :D

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 05:42:44 pm »

Sounds good. As far as creatures not fighting back, is that related to lack of bravery, activity level, or any other new personality settings?

If they aren't running away, bravery isn't the issue.  The main problem is them not knowing where you are from non-visual data (like being hit in the back of the head) and not turning to face you in many circumstances.  I was going to have them turn to face sounds at least before the initial release, but I ran into optimization trouble with that.  That's for adventure mode.  I'm not sure if you had a fort mode issue in mind.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 05:46:31 pm »

If they aren't running away, bravery isn't the issue.  The main problem is them not knowing where you are from non-visual data (like being hit in the back of the head) and not turning to face you in many circumstances.  I was going to have them turn to face sounds at least before the initial release, but I ran into optimization trouble with that.  That's for adventure mode.  I'm not sure if you had a fort mode issue in mind.

Indeed, in fights I hit enemies behind quite a lot, like they are turning away from me in the middle of the fight. I thought it was a issue with them always trying to run.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 05:48:35 pm »

Yeah, you can dodge to a square to the side or behind them and just wack them from behind pretty reliably.  It's cheap -- they should be able to track you when you are doing the dodge action if they are active, but right now even during regular combat their turning is delayed.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 05:50:59 pm »

This looks like the record for most bugs fixed since .31, which is just awesome.

(*) Stopped fliers from wanting to jump (and sometimes colliding mid-air)

Has this something to do with the fliers stopping in mid-air? which seems to be causing a lot of problems, including possibly spawning invaders.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 06:05:59 pm »

Thank you, Toady!  We've been looking forward to these bug fixes for a really long time!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 06:08:08 pm »

This post was edited due to finding the bug was just me being stupid.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:10:16 pm by Zavvnao »

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2014, 06:28:24 pm »

Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6