Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released  (Read 37704 times)

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2014, 05:43:48 am »

2ToadyOne
Quote from: file changes.txt
perseverence->ance in creature standard
It seems that some of PERSEVERENCE's were not fixed somewhere. See the attached screenshot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since that's from the executable, Toady probably just left it in as an alias, such as for the benefit of modders.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2014, 05:49:28 am »

Great stuff thanks! A great load of bugfixes. Good to hear the combat AI becoming effective again.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2014, 05:50:11 am »

Thank you very much, an impressive list of bugfix , great work !

insolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My projects on the Github
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2014, 06:57:26 am »

2ToadyOne
Quote from: file changes.txt
perseverence->ance in creature standard
It seems that some of PERSEVERENCE's were not fixed somewhere. See the attached screenshot.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Since that's from the executable, Toady probably just left it in as an alias, such as for the benefit of modders.
After some investigations, I'm inclined to think that you are right :)

Darkweave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2014, 07:02:40 am »

This is a Dwarf Fortress bugfix release. All craftstoadship is of the highest quality. This object is adorned with hanging rings of raw tweaks. It menaces with spikes of rounding error fixes. On the item is an image of a nether cap and a subterranean ceiling in goblinite. The subterranean ceiling is striking a triumphant pose. The nether cap is crying. On the item is an image of a ghost and a to-do-list in goblinite. The to-do-list is fading from existence. The ghost looks dejected. On the item is an image of a king cobra man and goblinite prosthetics in goblinite. The king cobra man is wielding super-glue. The king cobra man is laboring. On the item is an image of a toad, a cat and bugs in goblinite. The toad is striking down the bugs. The cat is being mischievous. The artwork relates to the release of Dwarf Fortress 40.05 in the late summer of 2014.

Mishrak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2014, 08:12:04 am »

(*) Fixed a problem causing saplings to grow up 10x as fast as they should

From reading the trees thread, this was almost as big an issue as the trees growing through the floors.  Thanks for all your work Toady!

JonnyBlack01

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Just another chaotic gamer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2014, 09:34:03 am »

Ghosts being able to realize their dreams almost seems like it should be another way to get the ghosts to disappear. :P
The more complex the game, the more I want to learn it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2014, 10:09:34 am »

Quote from: Toady One
   (*) Fixed some problems causing certain jobs to check too many items (angavrilov/Quietust)
Like using whole stacks of bones and shells?

Report collection here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=808
I think the whole stack bug was already fixed in 40.04. At the least, in my fort they were using one bone at a time.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2014, 11:44:13 am »

I think the whole stack bug was already fixed in 40.04. At the least, in my fort they were using one bone at a time.

Depends on which workshop job you were doing.  Making bone bolts or bone crossbows always worked correctly (using 1 bone at a time), but "decorate with bone" is/was bugged.  I haven't checked it in 0.40.05, but I don't recall seeing a note saying it was fixed.  (Part of a larger bug.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 11:46:10 am by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2014, 12:44:28 pm »

Thanks.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »

Does this mean we can buy vermin pets like hamsters and birds from the elves and release them from cages now?
I haven't changed what they bring or how release works, or fixed bugs with that yet.

So, it was about something unrelated. Gotcha.

Is this referring to broken whips that cut steel?
It would affect that, but I haven't tested it or looked at contact area yet.

Right, that's fine. It's an easy fix to mod the whip into something else in the meantime. I just need to remember to inform my newbie players. lol

May I also ask if fishing populations and thus sources of shells will be "tackled" soon? :P
I haven't fixed the shell bug yet.  Underground fishing should work, but I'm not sure if you are talking about turtle pops or some other error.

The turtle, mussel, and fish populations that eventually go extinct, yup. Again, not a huge deal to mod the shell property on horns, hooves, ivory, or make land tortoises domestic. I actually kind of like having domestic/pet tortoises lately.  :D

(*) Fixed the population cap
Thank you so much for this one! I host one-on-one newbie sessions for people and it was very difficult helping them learn the basics of the game with populations rising too fast for them to handle. How does this work now? Does your mountainhome civ actually know how many people they've sent to your outpost?  ;)
Details here: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2922#c27447

Hmm, I'm not quite understanding. This doesn't answer my question of how this works now. Is there still no hard cap on dwarf population or a way to turn migrants off? For FPS issues and teaching newbies, this really just needs this to be a straight up initiation mechanic in my opinion, not anything to do with a liason visit, because it only seems to work half the time and that's only if the liason is able to leave the map. And that's not until autumn, so do we still get migrants no matter what pop cap is set to in the spring?

As for the other bug reports... Footkerchief, I do read them. I just don't always see the answers I seek on them and so I got a little more info from Toady himself, but thanks anyway.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »

Hmm, I'm not quite understanding. This doesn't answer my question of how this works now. Is there still no hard cap on dwarf population or a way to turn migrants off? For FPS issues and teaching newbies, this really just needs this to be a straight up initiation mechanic in my opinion, not anything to do with a liason visit, because it only seems to work half the time and that's only if the liason is able to leave the map. And that's not until autumn, so do we still get migrants no matter what pop cap is set to in the spring?

We (everyone who isn't Toady One) don't really understand how migration works in 0.40 yet.  It's going to take us a while to figure everything out.  All we know is that it has changed drastically from 0.34, and that there's at least one new knob to play with in 0.40.05 (the strict population cap).
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2014, 04:29:36 pm »

We (everyone who isn't Toady One) don't really understand how migration works in 0.40 yet.  It's going to take us a while to figure everything out.  All we know is that it has changed drastically from 0.34, and that there's at least one new knob to play with in 0.40.05 (the strict population cap).

Strict pop cap? That sounds promising. I didn't see mention of that anywhere. Why so vague about such an important basic mechanic, though?  ???

Toady, babe, I can't teach people your game at their personal pace without knowing (or estimating) how many migrants the player will be dealing with, so until we have more details I'll have to bow out on this version for now and come back to it later, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Er, that isn't to say I won't be playing it myself! I just can't mentor it, is all.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 04:33:14 pm by Spectre Incarnate »
The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2014, 04:52:33 pm »

Strict pop cap? That sounds promising. I didn't see mention of that anywhere. Why so vague about such an important basic mechanic, though?  ???

Toady, babe, I can't teach people your game at their personal pace without knowing (or estimating) how many migrants the player will be dealing with, so until we have more details I'll have to bow out on this version for now and come back to it later, I'm afraid.

EDIT: Er, that isn't to say I won't be playing it myself! I just can't mentor it, is all.

The old POPULATION_CAP does the same thing it used to, just with fixes relating to the size of migrant families.  It defaults to 200.  However, it doesn't prevent births in your fortress.  The new STRICT_POPULATION_CAP defaults to 220, and it does prevent births.  So migrants will stop at 200, and births will stop at 220.  These are both set in d_init.txt.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2014, 04:59:34 pm »

The old POPULATION_CAP does the same thing it used to, just with fixes relating to the size of migrant families.  It defaults to 200.  However, it doesn't prevent births in your fortress.  The new STRICT_POPULATION_CAP defaults to 220, and it does prevent births.  So migrants will stop at 200, and births will stop at 220.  These are both set in d_init.txt.
Any idea whether strict pop cap immediately prevents migrant waves, or if a caravan still needs to report on your population?
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6