Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released  (Read 37523 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2014, 05:24:01 pm »

That I don't know.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2014, 05:35:02 pm »

The pop caps ignore reports -- it should all work on actual numbers now.  This is just a performance feature now, rather than...  whatever it was when it never worked.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Dwarfu

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Advisor
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2014, 05:35:59 pm »

Any idea whether strict pop cap immediately prevents migrant waves, or if a caravan still needs to report on your population?

After playing a couple years, I have to say it is pretty freaking strict/accurate.  I set my cap at 80 and whether or not a caravan arrived, it never went above that exact amount when immigrants arrived.  I frequently got "an immigrant has arrived" (singular) when one of my citizens perished from a mood or old age.

EDIT:  ninja'd by the One.

Samarkand

• Bay Watcher
  • Aspiring GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2014, 05:37:02 pm »

The pop caps ignore reports -- it should all work on actual numbers now.  This is just a performance feature now, rather than...  whatever it was when it never worked.
Thanks! One more question related to this, are the first two waves mandatory even if the strict cap is set to, say 7.
My Area

It's it's its, not it's, not its its, not it's.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2014, 05:38:12 pm »

I think it'll call the waves, but they should still respect the cap, so nobody will show up if you still have your starting 7 and the cap is 7.

We'll probably mess around overall with soft caps and all that when we get into start scenarios, since we'd have more to work with.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2014, 05:53:49 pm »

This could probably be worked better when we have hillocks forming around the fortresses. All the migrants you block would go to the hillocks.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2014, 07:00:01 pm »

\o/

Quick reply is quick! And thank you, this method is very appreciated!  :-*

I am sorry the original method for that didn't pan out too well, because it was a very interesting idea to have it be reliant on the liason report. Perhaps you could bring that feature back later if there were, say, a way to send a messenger (or messenger animal?) yourself once a season? Just throwing out the idea.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2014, 08:59:34 pm »

I just need to remember to inform my newbie players. lol

How often do you get/teach new players? I thought Dwarf Fortress was more of a niche community due to how complex the game is and the steep learning curve.

And do you think you could tell me more about your teaching schedule/methods/whatever you want to call it? I am just curious because I am trying to learn the game myself.

I think it'll call the waves, but they should still respect the cap, so nobody will show up if you still have your starting 7 and the cap is 7.

That is wonderful! It annoyed me to no end knowing that if I was just under my pop cap that I might end up with close to double to what I really wanted. Any ideas on when how difficulty it would be to implement the ability to adjust how many starting dorfs  we have?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2014, 09:32:26 pm »

That is wonderful! It annoyed me to no end knowing that if I was just under my pop cap that I might end up with close to double to what I really wanted. Any ideas on when how difficulty it would be to implement the ability to adjust how many starting dorfs  we have?

It's on the dev page:
Fortress Starting Scenarios

Starting scenarios giving a back story for your fortress, often related to current world situation
        Reclaim mechanics should be folded into this
    Ability to bring extra dwarves along depending on scenario
    Entity populations surrounding your fortress in appropriate environments, both above and below ground
    Ability to move dwarves in and out of surroundings
    Relationship with surrounding dwarves
    Ability to trade/demand food in depot or similar place with surrounding dwarves
    Changes to caravans/diplomatic relationships based on starting scenario

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 29, 2014, 07:03:47 am »

I like this new mechanic, I can now have a proper hermit fort, or disable births, or now disable migrants and rely entirely on births, this brings possibility for many scenarios.
And thank you for the massive bug squashing I'm confidant my first 40.05 fort will be the stablest yet(or at least since 40d), but so much better!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 29, 2014, 10:11:39 am »

[...] say, a way to send a messenger (or messenger animal?) yourself once a season? Just throwing out the idea.

Or be able to send volunteers back anytime, if needed using them as a messenger for various things such as population cap or requests.
It's dangerous to go alone, though! Future of own caravans?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 29, 2014, 01:04:24 pm »

The turtle, mussel, and fish populations that eventually go extinct, yup. Again, not a huge deal to mod the shell property on horns, hooves, ivory, or make land tortoises domestic. I actually kind of like having domestic/pet tortoises lately.  :D
I always fixed this problem by simply increasing the POPULATION_NUMBER:X on the various fish and turtles. Having [POPULATION_NUMBER:250000:500000] tends to ensure that unless you run forts in the same location for hundreds of years there is always enough fish left.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 29, 2014, 08:29:00 pm »

It's on the dev page:
Fortress Starting Scenarios

Starting scenarios giving a back story for your fortress, often related to current world situation
        Reclaim mechanics should be folded into this
    Ability to bring extra dwarves along depending on scenario
    Entity populations surrounding your fortress in appropriate environments, both above and below ground
    Ability to move dwarves in and out of surroundings
    Relationship with surrounding dwarves
    Ability to trade/demand food in depot or similar place with surrounding dwarves
    Changes to caravans/diplomatic relationships based on starting scenario

So it is a hard coded thing? I was thinking of trying to mod that in, but I guess not.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:27 pm »

Question - when will the "fliers without a part that enables flight are technically always flying" bug be fixed?
Just a question.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 30, 2014, 02:35:08 pm »

Question - when will the "fliers without a part that enables flight are technically always flying" bug be fixed?
Just a question.

I don't understand why it's a problem for them to always be flying.  Is it on the bug tracker?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6