Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released  (Read 37514 times)

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.40.05 Released
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2014, 02:50:09 pm »

Question - when will the "fliers without a part that enables flight are technically always flying" bug be fixed?
Just a question.

I don't understand why it's a problem for them to always be flying.  Is it on the bug tracker?
It doesn't actually cause problems, however it makes things look strange.
I think said bug has been on the bug tracker since 0.40.01, maybe 0.40.02.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2014, 02:58:40 pm »

I couldn't find it in the list of reports that mention FLIER.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2014, 03:02:53 pm »

I couldn't find it in the list of reports that mention FLIER.
It's covered by the seventh in the list, actually (#0006965).

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2014, 03:16:51 pm »

Ah.  I don't see the connection with body parts or display issues, but feel free to comment at 6965.  Regarding "when" -- there's generally no specific schedule, except for the most severe crashes etc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 03:20:15 pm by Footkerchief »

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2014, 03:24:02 pm »

Ah.  I don't see the connection with body parts or display issues, but feel free to comment at 6965.  Regarding "when" -- there's generally no specific schedule, except for the most severe crashes etc.
I'll go with "It'll be fixed by or before work on DF2014 is done".
Interface things seem to be slightly larger issues than things that pop up extremely rarely, like the bug I just made up on the spot for this example: "Brokers only eat cat meat for six days after a hydra ate the mayor, but only in the month of Granite in a glacier."
Now that I think about it, that'd be cool.
Now I'm sidetracked.
Either way, it seems interface stuff is fixed with higher priority than absurd and rare bugs.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 30, 2014, 04:48:26 pm »

Just wanted to say that in 0.40.05 I still didn't crashed once. It looks pretty stable. Congratulations Toady!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #81 on: July 30, 2014, 05:29:08 pm »

Just wanted to say that in 0.40.05 I still didn't crashed once. It looks pretty stable. Congratulations Toady!

Not crashing on my OldGenesis .05 either! Many funky creatures, many 2012-style custom plants! (95% done updating from 2012 to 2014.)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

dree12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 30, 2014, 10:49:52 pm »

I am still experiencing assorted adventurer mode crashes and freezes. Fortress mode is very stable now though.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2014, 01:22:14 am »

How often do you get/teach new players?

Three friends, so far, and two more are interested. Since I have nothing else to do with my time from various medical issues and I enjoy helping new players, I'd like to expand beyond that and offer assistance to anyone who may be interested in learning the basics.

Quote from: NobleNecromancer
I thought Dwarf Fortress was more of a niche community due to how complex the game is and the steep learning curve.

Funny you should say that, because that's exactly why I spread the game to people who express interest in it, but have heard repeatedly that the game has a "steep learning curve". I feel that is a misnomer and causes people to instinctively reel back in horror before they know what they're reeling from. The community is niche not because the game has a curve, but because it is driven by the community saying it has a curve. I believe this very strongly because I felt that way before learning to play and so did my players.

Quote from: NobleNecromancer
And do you think you could tell me more about your teaching schedule/methods/whatever you want to call it? I am just curious because I am trying to learn the game myself.

I've assisted in person, over Steam chat, and through Skype/Google voice and screen sharing (preferred). You play while I explain what is going on in a general sense, giving suggestions and answering questions, and letting some discoveries happen on their own.

I will not lie and say I am an expert at everything DF, that would be silly... cause I'm not a number cruncher and don't care about super efficiency. Figuring how best to build, what your play style is, and designing huge mega projects is your deal. But, I feel I'm knowledgeable enough to get people off the ground and over those first few hurdles so that they can start designing dream forts by themselves.

At this time, however, my illness is ruining my concentration (and why this post was delayed). If you are still interested I can jot your name down and PM ya later when things have subsided. Possibly next week, but no guarantee.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

Getix Kain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2014, 01:39:57 am »

I am just curious but..

Am I the only one who has a big problem with rock pot in 40.05?
It's my second fortress in a new WorldGen in 40.05 where Rock Pot will not be used for stockpiling food (leading to food rotting and miasma)?

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 31, 2014, 11:48:55 am »

i assist new players almost on a daily basis, and the more game mechanics are explained (straight forward) the easier time i have helping new players. There are many times I have to test ingame mechanics just so i can help players because a certain mechanic isnt completely understood or its a mechanic the is too figity (either becuase of a bug or of how the game behaves). i understand what makes dwarf fortress awesome is because of its intricate natue, that does not mean how the game works needs to be hidden.

This is why i love "Future of Dwarf Fortess" thread. If there is any thing you need to know about the game the best chance of getting an answer is there. This is of course not the purpose of the thread, however it does show (in terms of how toadyone opperates) that communication about the game is not hidden purposely.

I believe as long players can continue to ask questions and have them answered there is not issues. I do not expect Toadyone to be able to communicate every new change all at once. I do hope however that if players do need to understand something about the game that can not be explained by other players (and its something toadyone is willing to talk about) that it is answered.

I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 31, 2014, 02:14:49 pm »

...however it does show (in terms of how toadyone opperates) that communication about the game is not hidden purposely.

Yes, yes... A misunderstanding based on the reaction of others not knowing the answer and directly stating that Toady was the only one who did, which I realize only made it seem like things were being hidden. Apologies for any confusion.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?

NobleNecromancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 31, 2014, 06:02:24 pm »

If you are still interested I can jot your name down and PM ya later when things have subsided. Possibly next week, but no guarantee.

I wouldn't mind having a session or two with you. I know some of the basics, at least enough to not have my dorfs starve to death, but I could use some help on a few other things.

Izu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2014, 12:32:36 pm »

I feel like the new trees and roots are messing up the clarity a lot. ): Are the roots planned to be "in" the ground, f.e. like gems? That would be nice!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]