Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx  (Read 8681 times)

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx
« on: July 27, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

I'm trying to build a mass pit to get rid of my caged prisoners. I followed the DF2014 guide on the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mass_pitting but when I try to release a goblin they scare off the dwarf trying to pit them. I've done this with a few goblins and they never go down the pit.

I got it to work with a friendly human (who can turn into a were-tortoise).

Here is the top of the pit with stockpile set up:
http://i.imgur.com/JL6yZdy.png

Here is how I designated the pit zone:
http://i.imgur.com/NghRSCl.png

And this is the bottom of the pit with my friendly human:
http://i.imgur.com/4f0bvER.png

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:43:56 am »

I'm pretty sure your designation is wrong. With dumping and pit designations (i.e. those which make use of open space), you designate the tiles where the dwarf should perform the action *from*, not where they perform the action *into*. Due to this a zone in empty space can only be defunct - the only zone tiles which matter are ones dwarves can stand in. My understanding of how it should work, is a dwarf should take a creature from a cage from the outer edge, drag it onto one of the zone tiles, then pit the creature into an adjacent empty space (doesn't matter whether the empty space is zoned or not). If the zone covered the entire stockpile as I believe it needs to, there is no need to drag the creature at all.

Now with that said I haven't actually tested what specifically happens in this case, it's not totally unheard of for dwarves to take shortcuts which might cause such a setup to work even when it shouldn't according to the conventional rules. In this case though, it shouldn't work, and isn't.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:13:49 am »

Does this happen with regular goblins, or just with goblin thieves? Thieves were always un-pittable, but if this happens with regular goblins, it might be a bug.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Astrid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a text.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 05:14:42 am »

*has always pitted tiefs along with normal goblins all the time prior to update*

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 05:41:28 am »

I have had the same trouble, with the added bonus that sometimes the dwarf performing the dragging suddenly became hostile to other dwarves.

Im doing  the Building Cage (b-j) technique now , and with opening the cage with a lever for the release.
A pain in the ass to set up when you have lots of cage, but at least it works consistently

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 05:45:57 am »

I'm pretty sure your designation is wrong. With dumping and pit designations (i.e. those which make use of open space), you designate the tiles where the dwarf should perform the action *from*, not where they perform the action *into*. Due to this a zone in empty space can only be defunct - the only zone tiles which matter are ones dwarves can stand in. My understanding of how it should work, is a dwarf should take a creature from a cage from the outer edge, drag it onto one of the zone tiles, then pit the creature into an adjacent empty space (doesn't matter whether the empty space is zoned or not). If the zone covered the entire stockpile as I believe it needs to, there is no need to drag the creature at all.

Now with that said I haven't actually tested what specifically happens in this case, it's not totally unheard of for dwarves to take shortcuts which might cause such a setup to work even when it shouldn't according to the conventional rules. In this case though, it shouldn't work, and isn't.
I t
If the zone doesn't cover the pit hatches it shows 0 spots for where I can pit. I tried without zoning in the hatches and it still has my dwarves releasing the prisoners running away.

Does this happen with regular goblins, or just with goblin thieves? Thieves were always un-pittable, but if this happens with regular goblins, it might be a bug.

These are goblins that tried to raid me but ran into an army of cage traps. I know thieves can climb out of a pit and I also tried pitting the humans that also tried raiding me but they also just scare my dwarves.

I also had a strange glitch. I decided to pit a langur so the weretortoise could eat it, but happened while he was human. The langur seemed to attack the human and made him disappear and then a few minutes later I got an alert of him transforming and he was in the living section of my fort.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 05:53:11 am »

I've always designated the pit as the hole (empty space), and never had problems except for dwarves releasing the creature being pitted prematurely for some reason.

Ie i have a 4x2 room, where one length of 4 is channeled out, and the other is mined or otherwise has a floor. The pit designation is always the channeled out section. The dwarves go to the edge of the pit, and throw the creature into the open space, who proceeds to fall into the pit (except for pesky fliers!).

As for things escaping pits, I'd imagine that is to do with the climbing update making everyone climb in panic.

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 06:12:31 am »

I've always designated the pit as the hole (empty space), and never had problems except for dwarves releasing the creature being pitted prematurely for some reason.

Ie i have a 4x2 room, where one length of 4 is channeled out, and the other is mined or otherwise has a floor. The pit designation is always the channeled out section. The dwarves go to the edge of the pit, and throw the creature into the open space, who proceeds to fall into the pit (except for pesky fliers!).

As for things escaping pits, I'd imagine that is to do with the climbing update making everyone climb in panic.

I tried your 4x2 pit design but my dwarves still stop their task when they open the cage.

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 06:55:28 am »

*has always pitted tiefs along with normal goblins all the time prior to update*
Lucky you. My first experience with thief pitting was an unarmed thief who somehow separated one hand from my best fighter.
(Needless to say, my fighters usually suck. I've been playing this game for three years now and still haven't figured out how to get my military dwarves to train regularly.)
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

Codyo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 08:56:53 am »

How deep is the bit? Is it just right below? That may cause trouble with climbing I suppose.

Also I would only put the pit over the hatches. So it would be a 1x1 zone.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 11:32:46 am »

-snip-

I tried your 4x2 pit design but my dwarves still stop their task when they open the cage.

I assume you are using the new version - I haven't used a pit in that yet. If you have the old version up and available to quickly check, does it work in the previous version?
If it does work in the previous version but not now, it's a bug, and it needs to be reported.

I won't be home to my computer til this weekend, otherwise I'd launch the previous version and test the theory.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 12:04:19 pm »

I'm trying to build a mass pit to get rid of my caged prisoners. I followed the DF2014 guide on the wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Mass_pitting but when I try to release a goblin they scare off the dwarf trying to pit them. I've done this with a few goblins and they never go down the pit.

I tried this once in DF2014, and had a similar result.  Except in my case, the goblin killed the dwarf who was trying to put him in a pit.

So yeah, I can confirm that this has changed in 2014.  The wiki page is not updated yet.  Welcome to a new major version of Dwarf Fortress.

(OK, I've just added additional warnings on 2 wiki pages.  But no real science has been done on this yet.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 12:13:38 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mrfancyhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 05:05:29 pm »

I tried this once in DF2014, and had a similar result.  Except in my case, the goblin killed the dwarf who was trying to put him in a pit.

So yeah, I can confirm that this has changed in 2014.  The wiki page is not updated yet.  Welcome to a new major version of Dwarf Fortress.

(OK, I've just added additional warnings on 2 wiki pages.  But no real science has been done on this yet.)

Makes sense, I was just hoping I was a terrible pit builder. I guess my only option now is to go through the process of filling a room with the cages, linking a lever, and locking them in.

How deep is the bit? Is it just right below? That may cause trouble with climbing I suppose.

Also I would only put the pit over the hatches. So it would be a 1x1 zone.

Unless werebeasts can't climb that couldn't be it. I'll try making a deeper pit though.

EDIT: I made a pit one level deeper but it doesn't seem to be the problem. The dwarves are getting scared once they open the cage and run off before even attempting to pit the goblins.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 05:53:53 pm by mrfancyhat »

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 07:03:28 pm »

then it could be a bug with the new release.
Can anyone else replicate the problem?

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 07:33:19 pm »

Maybe a stupid question, but those having pitting issues are locking the hatches over the hole, right?
Pages: [1] 2 3