Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx  (Read 8655 times)

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
Re: Mass Pitting in 0.40.xx
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2014, 10:57:19 am »

-snip-

How could you ensure that a military dwarf always did it and not a civilian? Burrow designations?

It'd be easier to test in a small fort, but essentially, you should just need to have a trained dwarf soldier off-duty, so that normal labors are enabled, then disable all animal hauling on other dwarves - this will mean only the soldier can pit (I think).
Unless pitting is like harvesting or deconstruction..

In which case, have EVERY dwarf be drafted into a squad, then keep all except the selected trained and disciplined dwarf be off-duty when you designate the pitting job.

Hopefully that will ensure the soldier pits a creature.

If we can prove that BOTH trained and untrained dwarves are unable to pit properly, then its a bug and we should report it.
Otherwise, it's just a new thing to deal with in a fort.

Dwachs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 31, 2014, 12:58:44 pm »

Still there is the part that makes the dwarf that opens the cage an emeny of the fortress.

TheOnlySolitaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [BRAG_ON_KILL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 10:26:02 am »

Still there is the part that makes the dwarf that opens the cage an enemy of the fortress.

Lets deal with that when we get to it, if they can't pit anyway, it may all be related anyway.

Does anyone have any forts in a position to test if pitting is bugged or not?

Grahar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2014, 03:58:18 am »

Yesterday, toady posted this:
stopped led creatures from wandering away from leader
I think thhis means the bug is fixed in the nect version.
I am an or-di-na-ry dwarf
burning down the !!fort!!

RagingDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • "Sire."
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 02:23:11 am »

Hello there fellow forters. I've been following this topic and just wanted to say that same thing happened in my little fort.

Had about 8 Elven buttholes that I'd been saving in cage traps for some marksdwarf target practice, followed the wiki guide, and when the dwarf goes to do the pitting, they freak and run when they open the cage, even with an unarmed/unarmored Elf.

The military attacks them I think on the basis that they basically released a prisoner? That's the only thing that makes sense to me. Haven't tried the getting an off-duty soldier to do it but for now I guess the best option is lever-opening the cages.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2014, 03:09:12 am »

Yeah, that bug is fixed next version.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2014, 07:35:54 am »

I have just replicated this bug with version .40.08. Used to do it all the time with previous versions so pretty sure I know how it works.

Pit is a 1x1 into a 2 level drop with a hatch on the top.

I stationed military dwarves nearby to contain any escapes. They started a fight with the dwarf leading the escapee and the casualties were quite simply staggering.

Anybody else still seeing this problem?

Jacko13

• Bay Watcher
  • Please Urist wear your masterwork steel armour
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2014, 08:02:27 am »

With further experimentation I think I figured out the problem.  The first goblin in the pit is fine.  As the second is about to be cast in the hauler dwarf takes fright (despite the hatch) and drops the goblin. Hence all OK as long as you only do one at a time.
Pages: 1 2 [3]