Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: question about rendering tiles outside of game  (Read 1382 times)

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
question about rendering tiles outside of game
« on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:43 am »

Hi

I'm trying to draw some tiles but I was wondering if there is a method in photoshop to apply color to it in a way similar to how the game does so that I can see what my tile would look in the actual game within photoshop.

Like are there any masks, layer filters etc that I can use to apply color to a black and white tile in photoshop?  I've tried using multiply in layers but that doesn't quite seem to give me the same effect.

Also are there any how to make graphic tile sets guides somewhere? thanks

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: question about rendering tiles outside of game
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 12:34:34 pm »

Set a layer above it with the preffered colour, set the layer to clip, and the blending mode to multiply.

Clip will use the underlying tileset's alpha(so it won't work if you use255,0,255 pink), and multiply will mix the colour with the tile as the game does.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

meowmix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 02:50:16 pm »

Set a layer above it with the preffered colour, set the layer to clip, and the blending mode to multiply.

Clip will use the underlying tileset's alpha(so it won't work if you use255,0,255 pink), and multiply will mix the colour with the tile as the game does.

Quick question, when you say set the layer to clip you mean the colored layer with the multiply blending right? and i create this clip by doing layer => create clipping mask?

When you say alpha you mean transparencies right?  like if certain portions of the image is see through?  I see people referring to alpha layers around here, is that just another layer where you draw with transparency in mind, like if I wanted the background color to show through a window, I would draw the window panes on another layer and make them transparent.

And pink is basically the equivalent of transparencies right?

Also Should i set a background color? and if so which color does the game usually use. or is that something I get to choose in the raws.
thanks for the help
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:01:30 pm by meowmix »

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:29:26 am »

Here's the exact process: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/40d:Tilesets#How_colors_other_than_white_and_magenta_work (From 40d, but I don't think it's changed.)
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.