Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dummied-out or seldom-seen dialogue  (Read 1845 times)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
Dummied-out or seldom-seen dialogue
« on: October 19, 2017, 07:07:35 am »

E.g In the string dump there's "Where am I?" Or "This creature is from a mysterious place". I'm not sure where that's used.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

iquare

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Dummied-out or seldom-seen dialogue
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:32:28 am »

"Where am I", if remember correctly, is used by adventurers (and by clowns, if you enable fortress mode conversations in init file) in circus. Not sure about "This creature is from a mysterious place", probably also related to certain spoiler creatures.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 12:03:40 pm »

"Mysterious Place" could be referring to [DOES_NOT_EXIST] creatures too, brought forcibly into the world.

Walkaboutout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:48:50 am »

"Where am I", if remember correctly, is used by adventurers (and by clowns, if you enable fortress mode conversations in init file) in circus. Not sure about "This creature is from a mysterious place", probably also related to certain spoiler creatures.

How do you enable fortress mode conversations in the ini. file? Had no idea this was possible, and would like to check it out!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 10:16:40 am »

Edit the announcements.txt to make previously adv-only conversations logged in fort mode, either in general log or reports.. Obviously, at cost to your gamelog length.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:24:28 pm »

Edit the announcements.txt to make previously adv-only conversations logged in fort mode, either in general log or reports.. Obviously, at cost to your gamelog length.
I'm pretty sure everything goes in your gamelog.txt regardless of settings.

I would personally use an external viewer, rather than drown out important alerts.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 12:11:01 am »

Eh? I'm not sure what you mean, but just checked a month-run fort where that didn't happen, as I didn't enable it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Others have accepted removing some combat logging to stop sparring from amputating announcements log (which is what I actually meant), but I haven't tested this one.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:12:39 am by Fleeting Frames »

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2017, 04:16:20 am »

Myself I like some of the rarely seen wild beast dialogues - I see some of them more often with mods - however there are some that I've never seen and make me wonder what they're used for, if they even are used.

We are besieged by a terrifying monster from the harshest wilderness. - does it relate to beasts from savage biomes?
A savage beast from the thick of the wilds hunts us at will. - probably the same as above.
Creatures grow mighty out in the wildest regions. - again, same as above probably.
At times, creeping things slither out from below ground. - I've seen this one exactly once - it was about a Nuckelavee from underground. Maybe third cavern layer+evil token?
Demons from the underworld must not be permitted to walk freely upon the land. - pretty obvious but I've never seen it, since demons don't walk the surface anymore.
At the end of the world dwell the fiercest beasts of legend. - this one's interesting...seems like it should be used for very far-away creatures or perhaps glacier ones.
A force of evil has arisen in the world. - I've seen this one used in relation to a LARGE_PREDATOR type creature holding some kind of noble position. Though, I once got a quest with this text to kill a prisoner who was of a race that had the same token.
The forces of darkness have descended upon us. - sounds like a siege thing tbh. But it's lumped with all of the other beast texts.
A ferocious unnatural beast has become the bane of our people. - I've seen it used for predatory creatures without the NATURAL token.
Something truly horrifying has vomited itself forth from the depths of the world.
A great monster from the underground is said to have emerged from the darkness.
A vile beast from the caverns now walks the land.
A lurking pest has come up from the underground.
Terrible monstrosities live deep under the ground.
A terror most foul from the evil depths nigh the underworld plagues us.
A vile monster from the bowels of the earth has been preying on our people.
A beast from underground has been assailing us. - all of these seem to be for underground creatures and/or forgotten beasts. I've only seen the "vile monster from the belows of the earth" one though, in relation to a troll.