Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there a tag for BUILDING_NEEDS_POWER or such?  (Read 869 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Is there a tag for BUILDING_NEEDS_POWER or such?
« on: July 28, 2014, 08:39:33 pm »

Hello,

Is there a tag for buildings to make it require electricity, like the millstone?
I searched BUILD_ITEM and POWER, but I couldn't find anything.

I'd like to add a custom reaction, and want to avoid using [BUILDING:MILLSTONE] if possible.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Is there a tag for BUILDING_NEEDS_POWER or such?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 09:42:11 pm »

No.

Also, there is no electricity in Dwarf Fortress - millstones require machine power, which is entirely mechanical (being generated by windmills and/or water wheels and transmitted along axles and gears).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 10:00:43 pm »

I guess that's why all the mods are using [FUEL], right?
I was crossing my fingers, hoping that maybe Toady mentioned it in a FotF reply or other spot.

Thanks for clarifying.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 12:47:34 am »

You can simulate it, but making Batteries a container, and Charges an item that is produced into those batteries, so you have "Battery. Contains 1000 electric charges.", which is required in a reaction, using up the charges and preserving the battery. Then you can make another building which needs empty batteries and charges them again, lets say a dynamo. :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:02:39 am »

Yea I would go with the ITEM_TOY_EMPTYBATTERY / ITEM_TOY_CHARGEDBATTERY route, workshop reactions requiring such toys.
Reaction might use only a quarter of the battery (75% chance get full battery out, 25% empty, averages out in the long crafting)
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 02:12:37 am »

Yea I would go with the ITEM_TOY_EMPTYBATTERY / ITEM_TOY_CHARGEDBATTERY route, workshop reactions requiring such toys.
Reaction might use only a quarter of the battery (75% chance get full battery out, 25% empty, averages out in the long crafting)
Meph's way is less chance based and counts the amount of uses. I'd go that route if you want to be more consistent about this thing, although the chance-based route would work.

I wonder what happens if you make it a container though... Wouldn't dwarves use it for storage?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 03:03:28 am »

No, not if you dont give it a TOOL_USE for that, like the [TOOL_USE:LIQUID_CONTAINER] that large pots have.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 05:26:45 am »

Thanks for the great idea then, I will implement it in my Post-apocalypse mod for batteries then.

Also I wonder if it's feasible to make batteries cold and charges be damaged by room temperature so they would disappear over time if they are poured on the ground unintentionally.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 05:30:43 am »

My pleasure. ;)

There was a larger discussion about it here.

I dont know what you are doing with the millstone in Fallout, but you can easily remove all the reactions it has, rename it to Dynamo, and use it to charge batteries. That way you need mechanical power, a windmill or waterwheel to charge your batteries. :)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 05:32:05 am »

I think I need to go out more often. Such elegant idea man. I feel like a dumb uncreative person now :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 05:35:51 am »

I think I need to go out more often. Such elegant idea man. I feel like a dumb uncreative person now :).
Stop saying that. ^^

And I am the one who needs to get out more... I have been in Germany way too long already.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2014, 01:57:03 pm »

There is a powered workshop script that comes with DFHack r5, just saying.
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS