Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Now run by Rolepgeek)  (Read 9748 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: Another game of Vanigo's Empire Builder (Now run by Rolepgeek)
« Reply #135 on: July 30, 2014, 12:18:01 pm »

I'll have a turn up in a hour or two, didn't know this was open again.
E: Going to point two things out right now.
Firstly, typically a six player game of this takes less then 10 minutes a turn to admin (barring having to auto a player). Each turn of this is going to take you much much longer then ten minutes due to having to run half a dozen city states and rolling up and running every single barbarian unit per turn. I would honestly recommend you make a new game (or simply stop genning barbarians and running city states) if you want to run one yourself. Despite a extra 10(20?) minutes per turn not sounding like much, it really adds up in the long term.
Secondly, you aren't going to be able to update the game title since this is Zanz thread. If you are going to keep on running the game you might want to switch to your own thread to do so.
Spoiler: Turn 6 (click to show/hide)
E2: You should send a bump tryrar's way to make sure he knows that the game is back on.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:46:44 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »

Yeah, though a nice idea, it does seem a bit too taxing to admin.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2014, 09:20:24 pm »

Hm.

Perhaps you're right.

Perhaps I will endeavor to focus upon my Asia based game.

While I've been wanting to finish understanding how I might go about modifying the ruleset, perhaps I should begin instead by creating the general form of the map.

As a separate question, however, would it be possible to make units that were restricted to moving on certain tiles beyond Ocean vs. Land? Like, say, Coastal and River tiles?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:25 pm »

Hm.

Perhaps you're right.

Perhaps I will endeavor to focus upon my Asia based game.

While I've been wanting to finish understanding how I might go about modifying the ruleset, perhaps I should begin instead by creating the general form of the map.

As a separate question, however, would it be possible to make units that were restricted to moving on certain tiles beyond Ocean vs. Land? Like, say, Coastal and River tiles?
Very sadly: No. This too would require modding the source. You could make a terrain that could only be traversed by flying units, but that isn't as nearly as much as you (nor I for that matter) would like.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2014, 10:21:24 pm »

This code starts to look pretty darn restrictive once you go a bit deeper into it. >_>

On the other hand, I wasn't the one to put probably hours into it, so I can't complain, I suppose. <_<
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2014, 11:06:24 pm »

Most of these things could probably be modded fairly easily with access to the source code and knowing all the exact tiny things you want to add options to change:
Adding special terrain abilities, adding special building effects, adding a much broader range of abilities, adding terrain movement restrictions, ect, ect.

But most of these aren't things that would be added to a early version of the game (unless it was pointed out that they were needed), because there is so many little things that you wouldn't notice wanting to change.

Some things would be much harder: Changing time images to be imported at game start-up, fundamentally changing how combat (and walls) work, ect.
These might be able to be done, but would require much more work.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]