Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: playable goblin fortress  (Read 1310 times)

reundwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
playable goblin fortress
« on: August 02, 2014, 10:09:58 pm »

How do I mod the game so that I embark with goblins instead of dwarves? I want to embark with jabberers, trolls, and ogres, and get sieged by humans, dwarves, and elves.
to dwarf, or not to dwarf, that is the question.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: playable goblin fortress
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 10:15:40 pm »

At its most basic, you could just add [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] to their entity in the raws. But to get the most out of it, you will need to add various other things such as noble positions and various permissions for reactions, items, clothing, jobs, and buildings.

Noble positions would be the most important, since you need positions to access a lot of things like the military and a proper stock menu. But you could just copy a few of the dwarven positions over to the goblins.

reundwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 10:20:50 pm »

Thank you. Even though goblins can bring jabberers on sieges, I think I remember that dwarves don't have access to any creatures or plants past the first cavern for embark, is it the same for goblins? Do I need to mod jabberers to occur on the first cavern layer?

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 10:24:52 pm »

Siege animals have to do with what animals the civ tames during worldgen, which can involve creatures past the first layer.  This can be seen in the animal screen in normal dwarf mode, with things like voracious cave crawler being listed under "general familiarity".

However, embarks can only bring first-layer stuff, so iirc you would have to mod the underground layer appearances, to actually get jabberers and suchlike on embark.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 10:26:58 pm »

I think that you are just limited to what's on the first layer. You will be able to bring trolls with you, I know that much.

The tag the controls what depth a creature is found at is called [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH] and the two numbers that will be used in it are the shallowest and deepest layer that the creature can be found in. So [UNDERGROUND_DEPTH:1:1] would mean the creature is only found in the first cavern.

reundwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 10:38:56 pm »

I probably should have just asked this in the existing creatures and entity thread. Oh well, thanks for the help. Do I need to add [PET_EXOTIC] to get ogres?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »

Trolls don't have pet tags. Though adding the tags may help increase your chances of getting creatures. I don't completely know.

Blind cave ogres are in caverns two and three though, and normal ogres will require at least part of your civ to be in an evil shrubland, savanna, or grassland.

reundwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 10:50:40 pm »

Well, worldgen is crashing while placing civilizations. All that appears in the error log is "Impoverished Word Selector". Any idea why it would be crashing?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 10:56:59 pm by reundwarf »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2014, 10:57:14 pm »

Odd. I don't see how adding a few tags could mess with the languages, unless something was accidentally overwritten.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2014, 11:00:34 pm »

Well, worldgen is crashing while placing civilizations. All that appears in the error log is "Impoverished Word Selector". Any idea why it would be crashing?

It appears to be a problem with noble positions and dark fortress. Specifically, the [CHAT_WORTHY] tag on the nobles, which crashes worldgen for whatever reason.

reundwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2014, 11:04:07 pm »

So how do I fix this? Remove [CHAT_WORTHY]?

reundwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2014, 11:07:37 pm »

Well, thanks, that did the trick apparently.