Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Why play .40 when sieges/threats are (as I understand it) not working well?  (Read 1746 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

A fort without semi-regular sieges doesn't seem like much fun to me, and I may be way off but I'm reading that the current version for whatever reason is not sending many threats to your fortress even if it's extravagantly wealthy.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why post passive aggressive threads instead of just asking your actual question or playing a game and finding out?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile

It's only the fifth iteration of this version though?  The bugfixing is still happening right now, and surely is army optimisation high on the list.  You could always wait until those major bugs are fixed.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile

A fort without semi-regular sieges doesn't seem like much fun to me, and I may be way off but I'm reading that the current version for whatever reason is not sending many threats to your fortress even if it's extravagantly wealthy.

Also: you're wrong.

Threats are now deadlier than even, given that their actual map movements are now realized and tracked ingame. Sometimes you can settle behind a few fortresses and play as the mainland, but I hope you don't run out of fun as soon as you start a frontier fortress and see the looming menace while in your first autumn.

If aboveground niceties aren't your cup of tea, you should maybe dig a bit and wait for a (now revamped) firebreathing FB. Best of lucks there.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile

I'd still be playing 34.11 if the leaderless-squad bug was fixed.  At least in that version, building destroyers and sieges were serious.

I'm hoping 40.x gets that long standing leaderless-squad bug fixed, and then I can play with the necromancers until real sieges are fixed.  :P  I miss the days of 80 goblins showing up, and trying to build an automated magma hallway to vaporize them all.

The current sieges of "stand at the edge of the map doing nothing" is not a serious threat, imho.  I've had migrants arrive and path into the fort without disturbing the undead left over after the "sieging" necromancer left.  Sure, it's not a regular occurrence, but that it can happen, at all, is just silly to me.

Aachen

• Bay Watcher
  • Wenzo Pilgrim cancels job: unstuck in time.
    • View Profile

Tune worldgen to provide more habitats for goblin entities to develop in, or add more hostile entities to the raws.
Quote from: Rithol Camus
There is but one truly serious philosophical problem and that is magma.

Quote from: Chinua Achebe
.... For Cliché is pauperized Ecstasy.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just embark on a terrifying reanimating biome. You won't need seiges to keep you busy there. One of the primary reasons to play the new version is to help find the bugs and balance issues in it. Another good reason is that new things are shiny!  :D
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 02:23:55 am by Melting Sky »

EinsteinSatDown

• Bay Watcher
  • Return to the Corn Fields
    • View Profile

Why play a buggy new version?

Well, simply put, bugs lead to unexpected Fun.

Also, one plays a buggy version to identify the bugs and perhaps even their cause(If one is able to do so).

This speeds up the de-bugging, with input from various community members, which means the version is made "playable" quicker.

So the real question is: Why not?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 04:25:01 am by EinsteinSatDown »

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile

Play, not play?

{shrugs}

Yup, that is the question.

I play both, mostly cuz I have projects underway in various fortresses.  I get slaughtered quite regularly in 34.11; whenever I feel like everything is going well, usually.  And 40.x is still quite new.  I mean two years worth of work, and we aren't even two months into Toady's bug-fixing and optimization phase. 

Patience.  Enjoy what's new; maybe play some adventure mode.  If I understand correctly Adv. mode got a huge upgrade.  I've been too involved in fortresses to do more than open it up and walk around a bit.  I bet it's cool.
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

Gojira1000

• Bay Watcher
  • Demands a glass bed? Seriously?
    • View Profile

Worrying about what others are enjoying rather than doing what you want is not a good life-skill.
"Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." - Oscar Wilde

NomeQueEuLembro

• Bay Watcher
  • [COFFE_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile

I just a read a thread where a fortress had some incidents with a stealth weremamoth. I don't got your point.

Anyway, I think forgotten beasts/titans/etc. are disabled for now. Also, since people are looking for bugs, having a long-lasting prosperous fort is somewhat a need. You can't find a bug related to adamantine if your fortress don't live enough to see it.
Likes weremammoths for it's awesomeness. Also, got a trumpet that menaces with spikes of sheep wool.

ComatosePhoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just a read a thread where a fortress had some incidents with a stealth weremamoth. I don't got your point.

Anyway, I think forgotten beasts/titans/etc. are disabled for now. Also, since people are looking for bugs, having a long-lasting prosperous fort is somewhat a need. You can't find a bug related to adamantine if your fortress don't live enough to see it.

Titans are definately not disabled, Get absolutely no invaders for 8 years then BAM Flying fire breathing hill titan snail. almost killed it too, but my crossbowmen didn't have enough bolts, and my military dwarves mostly had hammers. it didn't help that its only body parts were shell wings and a tail.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just took down a web-launching, crystalline, triple-horned Titan. They're definitely around
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Lidhuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no lack of invaders. The real problem is that many regular invaders will run away at the first sight of blood.

If anyone has a solution to that, I am all ears.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Breed big fortresses, dig deep and fight what comes. Or wait and whinge.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.
Pages: [1] 2