Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I lost all contact with my necromancers.  (Read 5212 times)

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I lost all contact with my necromancers.
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:22:03 am »

So this is my fortress's neighbors as it stands 5 years after the necromancer invasion.
this was the fortress status at the very start.
And after retiring and unretiring twice, I finally get in contact with towers again. Woo more invasions!
Anyone notice this yet?

EDIT: I tried to play with the twice retired fort: It was too laggy to fuckin do anything taking all the path finding errors into consideration. Damn spiral staircases
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 05:34:06 am by Bartholomew The Pious »
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

stinkasectomy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I lost all contact with my necromancers.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 09:09:16 am »

i have noticed that going start a new fortress-> looking at a site (but not embarking)= not neighbours
then restarting dwarf fortress and looking at the same  site =  neighbours

happens with goblins and towers (and fortress/towns/forest retreats/hamlets  for me -my necromancers tend to get in all the site types)

doesn't happen with elves and humans though... in fact in some worlds humans will be neighbours no matter what, even across a sea and a mountain range (when they probably shouldn't)

i tinker a little with starting biome and biome support though to give elves a very low chance of settling plains and humans more fish to trade

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 03:53:42 pm »

This is a very interesting discovery. Perhaps this bug explains why we tend to get a single early game siege followed by nothing. There might be some sort of inconsistent bug involving how the game figures out who can attack your site or not. Have you reported this?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 06:48:26 pm by Melting Sky »

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 12:40:56 pm »

I'm trying to report this bug, since I suspect, this is related to more serious problems of civilisation pathing and resultant lack of sieges.

While I'm trying to reproduce it...  does the Legends Mode say anything special about the towers?

(I also notice, goblins are not listed even though the dark pits are still not two tiles nearby...)

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 01:40:33 pm »

I've noticed, to my displeasure, that for whatever reason embarking on top of a mountain tile (on the edge of it, partialy in plains) frequently blocks out neighbors from being listed despite the fact they are nearby and by the embark map i should've definitely been accessible. Try testing it on an open area away from mountains? Maybe civs are occasionally treating the mountain tiles as impassible even if there is a path on the smaller map for whatever reason.

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 07:01:15 pm »

As it turns out, just embarking is enough to simply disappear hostiles from the list of neighbours, seemingly, you don't even have to wait for in-game years.  I tested a fort for not one season very close to lots of goblin settlements and upon retiring, they weren't neighbours anymore. 

Strangely, every square surrounding it in the direction of the goblins had them listed, but not my site.  It was built on a small mountain region, though, and might be, that mountain tiles somehow block the civ pathing.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 08:01:26 pm »

I think this is another facet of the same bug I noticed with towers not showing up initially as your neighbors even when you are literally right next to them. Then as you move a square or two in a random direction it will all of a sudden pop up as a valid neighbor. I also noticed that no matter what I did I could not get a tower listed as my neighbor if I was at war with the goblins. I would be right in the middle of 4 or 5 towers and they still wouldn't show up so long as the goblin war indicator was present. There is something quite odd going on either with the information being displayed on the embark neighbors tab or the underlying civilization scale pathing it represents.

« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 08:04:12 pm by Melting Sky »

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:52 pm »

It was built on a small mountain region, though, and might be, that mountain tiles somehow block the civ pathing.
Yeah, that's what i mentioned. I think the existence of forts on mountain regions cause it to suddenly become a tile that blocks travel or what have you, it's worth a shot to try embarking in a bare plains or something to see how neighbors are treated there, yeah.