Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mandates having their own announcement log  (Read 608 times)

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
Mandates having their own announcement log
« on: July 29, 2014, 04:29:56 am »

The main announcement log is usually filled, often quite quickly, with new announcements. This leads to mandates being missed simply because the player decided to set a large manager order such as process plants(30), and the log has been spammed heavily. The combat and hunting logs do a good job of reducing message spam from the important announcements. However seeing a separate "M" for mandate notification appear under the combat and hunting log indicators would be a great help. Even if the symbol is merely there to show a mandate is active or has changed.
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mandates having their own announcement log
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:22 am »

Just look at the noble screen. It tells you at a glance if a mandate is active, and full detail with one further keypress, the same as your suggestion.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 10:32:21 am »

I think it'd be a good idea if mandates were added to the configurable events in announcements.txt in the init folder - this way you could e.g. force a pause when a mandate gets issued. You can currently modify just about any other reported event from there.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »

Just look at the noble screen. It tells you at a glance if a mandate is active, and full detail with one further keypress, the same as your suggestion.

No, it's not the same. You have described a "polling" process, which requires constant player activity to monitor. darklord92 described an "interrupt" process that directly informs a player when conditions change.

I like the idea of a notification icon, but I would take it a step further and have the icon change color to denote the status of the most pressing mandate. An export ban in white, a production mandate starting gold and transitioning to yellow and red just like they do on the nobles page. Messages in the log for when a production mandate transitions from gold to yellow and yellow to red would also be nice to have, to remind the player that a mandate is nearing failure.

I think it'd be a good idea if mandates were added to the configurable events in announcements.txt in the init folder - this way you could e.g. force a pause when a mandate gets issued. You can currently modify just about any other reported event from there.

That's also a good idea.