Have I made a terrible mistake?

Yes.
- 0 (0%)
No.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: November 17, 2014, 05:49:42 pm

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gundora/Pandora (conworld) - making something serious happen here!  (Read 6256 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Gun Francisco 2nd Edition (conworld) - potions + factions poll!
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2014, 04:15:44 pm »

How does liquid mana get turned into energy?

I am willing to admit I have not gone through the exact process yet, mostly because I didn't really consider it high priority, as arbitrary as my priority list might be at times.
For now my idea is that it's a long and complex process that requires a dedicated facility to do effectively. In fact it could be a big-time business considering that mana is almost money for the northmen that their entire culture revolves around. "Mana processing plants" could be high-secured areas in remote parts of the world, and each could have their own slightly different mana activation procedure (although there wouldn't be any functional difference between two bottles of mana from different facilities beyond how efficiently it's converted from the passive to active state).

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2014, 04:21:04 pm »

I have to say that having just read the section on magic, not only is that an awesome system, but I got a mental image of a guy with a tank of passive mana on his back and a processing unit firing bolts of pure magic from gauntlets.

Anyway, due to the above it would be nice to be able to activate mana with a portable system - not necessarily efficiently though. Would it, for example, be possible to activate magic using mana?
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2014, 05:19:29 pm »

It is possible to activate mana with a portable activation kit, although it's naturally not a scalable solution and the efficiency is negligible, too. Even then, not many people risk that due to the fact that a machine like this is basically the equivalent of a portable money printer - if it falls into the wrong hands you have a pretty big problem with people making active mana en masse and using it for all the wrong (or right) purposes.

I could probably even set up an entire "magic mafia" (which was the original aesthetic for the mages as a whole) centered around the control of the mana production and distribution, among other shady things they could do to gain power in the 22nd century...

Anyway, I'm kinda tired atm, I'll do some more writing over the weekend. I should do something about the animancers and undead given I have that game going now...

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2014, 07:23:29 pm »

So they somehow contain pure magical energy in bottles?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »

So they somehow contain pure magical energy in bottles?

Mana here is not exactly pure magical abstract energy like it is in most other media 'cause I say so the concept really doesn't stick to me and I wanted my magic system to feel a bit more unique without turning it into some voodoo-tier bullshit.

While I wrap up my thoughts around the factions I'll be covering over the weekend (note: one of them didn't actually appear on the poll but to anyone who's seen the forum game it should be pretty obvious who that is; also I may or may not have ignored the poll votes for that, sorry :P), have a yet-another version of the title card image. With shading, new logo, and some other cleanups!

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Okay so active mana is a liquid that gets channeled through gems how. You'll find it difficult to channel liquids through a pure crystal.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Okay so active mana is a liquid that gets channeled through gems how. You'll find it difficult to channel liquids through a pure crystal.

Okay, my explanation of "channeling mana THROUGH the crystal" might have been a bit of a poorly worded thought.
The mana doesn't go directly into the crystal (unless it's carved in some weird way to act like a dish but that's another story), but rather, mana reacts with crystals on contact (and with other matter if sufficient force is applied), and the interaction varies based on the crystal itself, its shape, and the amount of mana/crystal involved. Sometimes specific movement may also need to be involved (usually just simple handwaving, mostly for wands) for the magic reaction to begin, and it kind of goes on from there, if that makes sense.

(Yes, this may all sound like BS I made up on the fly, and it might not be entirely false, but I'm really not getting down to that kind of details, at least not yet, unless I really feel like it. )

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool. I accept this bs.

PiotraperPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Optimist
    • View Profile

PTW
^ This side up ^
I have a degree in Procrastination
Known for doing stupid grammer mistakes

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Sorry for the lack of updates here lately. I had a bit of a sad week, but I think I'm fine now.
And you know it's a bit serious when of all the people it's your mom (who doesn't use the PC much) that tells you to make a blog about your project. So here it is, a Gun Francisco blog for all your stalking, re-blogging and commenting needs. More content coming up there shortly.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Gundora (conworld) - rest in peace, Gun Francisco.
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 01:39:42 pm »

Some things change sometimes. Hopefully for the best.

To summarize - new artstyle ft. proper limbs (sorry Rayman, I still like you), new name (which feels more climatic while still retaining the pun) and a bit more art.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2014, 01:51:13 pm »

stalking, re-blogging and commenting

[STALKING INTENSIFIES]

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2014, 11:36:51 am »

Hey, everyone who still follows the news on this thing!
There may have been a drought of updates here as of recent, but it's for a good reason - I've combined forces with a few of my friends (who are better at writing and/or character development than me) to create no less than a full-blown story set in the world of GundoraPandora (this is a sort of prequel to the stuff I usually talk about here, most of which has been imported from my worldbuilding, while the rest is either a re-imagining of existing ideas or completely new stuff).

We're still somewhat early in, developing the plot and characters and the world and such, but I can assure you that it's going to be a blast. I don't want to talk about it too much because that would be spoilers beyond belief, but you will get to learn how technology made its way into the magic-driven world of Pandora and how it led to its downfall...

It's actually my first writing project I take that seriously and I've learned a lot about character development already, which has been our primary focus so far.

I'll leave you with the world map because I finally learned how to do these. No names yet (and I did post it here a few weeks ago), but I'm still pretty proud of it.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll probably be posting things here and on the blog, detailing some of our thought processes, but that is still up in the air.

Until next time!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:38:51 am by DarkDXZ »
Pages: 1 [2]