Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Necromancer Empire  (Read 2212 times)

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
The Necromancer Empire
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:14:47 am »

So i decided to gen a medium world for 1050 years and see what kind of diplomatic madness plot hooks ensue...... what i got was a couple human empires which seemed to send all of their people to the nearest necromancer tower for training as soon as they came of age..... there were just as many towers as hamlets, if not more in one area.... anyways, i've been adventuring around trying to discover more ways to die interesting historical facts about the world. To be honest, i have recently been addicted to 34.11 masterwork mod, and have been using the new version as a time waster during slow fortress seasons, because of this i wasn't going to start this thread because i wouldn't be able to properly update it, but..... so much stuff has happened i have to share.

My first hero was an elf who died cuz he was lame and i was doing rp stuff... anyways then i decided to make a human monster slayer.... and started in an area which is run behind the scenes by a vampire.... i started a rebellion when the elf rolled through and when i created my human the drunks in the tavern appeared to have been defeated by the vampire's cultists

The Next adventurer i made, i decided to be an elf again.... this time on a small island inhabited only by elves and humans, which had been at war for the entirety of worldgen..... wandered into a camp and found face to face with an army of undead elves.... snuck the hell out of there, and ended up getting jumped by a human axeman and his zombie crossbowman companion..... the crossbowman was the worst shot ever, couldn't hit my peasant adventurer, but was still able to bash my face in with the but of his crossbow...

Since my elves never made it over to the necromancer kingdoms i decided to retire the monster slayer (after joining a Vampire hunting group bandit gang)  Anyways... made my next adventurer in the middle of the necromancer kingdom and decided to look around. Every... and i mean EVERY house was empty, confused i pulled up the people tab on the quest log, the only entity i knew was my god. I decided to walk to the city which was only a couple map tiles over, and see what kind of forces were stationed there, since i assumed it would be abandoned like the village i started in. When i stopped over the garrison, there were a group of 3-4 human gaurds with 2 necromancer gaurds, and talking took forever because i had to scroll through the combat log of peasants fighting off undead. I should have been offset by this, but if the garrison has two necromancers in it, of course there will be a few stray undead roaming the strees. I wonder who rules here? i thought to myself and bidding adieu to necromancers i headed towards the castle which had an open air market in front of it.....

and this is what i saw.....

It looks to me like those are Zombie Merchants!?

now i remember when toady first included necromancers, he mentioned that their towers were built by the zombies and there had to be a suitable number of corpses to build them.. blah blah blah.... is it possible that necromnacers, and their zombies have their own cultural ideas, and therefore can engage in diplomacy and... trade?

I'll try to keep you guys updated on the crazy stuff i find, and also post a world map so you can see how crazy this world is
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Necromancer Empire
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 06:16:39 am »

Btw that screenshot was taken after i first stopped in the market..... and felt the inescapable urge to share this insanity with the world..... i haven;t used any mods (unless you count phoebus tileset) and although the world was genned in 40.04, the save transfered fine... tell me if you guys are experiencing anything like this in your worlds

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:17:36 am »

This is quite interesting madness you have found. Necromancers are bugged, but entire civs of necromancers? Zombie traders? Necromancers being simple guards? This is great.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:38:33 am »

Got gangraped by zombies in the market.... and i'll do some more investigating later today, but here's the world map..... it's got a couple necromancers in the north.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 09:23:10 am »

That happened to me once in the last version, I just figured it was a siege or an evil biome I ddidn't notice or something. I was in a market when a ton of zombies showed up in place of some, not all, of the merchants. much fighting ensued.
Here's a picture of it, not much, but it works

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything's in the news today

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 11:14:10 am »

I saw the occasional necromancer guard, but nothing like this. I assumed it was a feature...

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:12:09 pm »

I've seen this before, I genned a world with hundreds of necro towers but was unhappy wth some world parameters. So I made some changes expecting to still have hundreds of necro towers but I was unable to recreate it even using the same seeds and settings.
 Just out of curiosity how many Secrets does your world contain?
 The world I had managed to gen had the maximum (1000) number of secrets allowed.

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 04:42:13 pm »

I didn't even use advanced parameters, just did medium, long history, lots of civs/sites/savagery/beasts, very rare minerals..... i haven't even started messing around with advanced parametes yet. I thought it was either a bug, or a culture thing where humans are more likely to attain  immortality now

Xvareon

• Bay Watcher
  • Alias: Setokaiva
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:29 am »

Can you recruit necromancer companions?  8)

And can we perchance get the seed for this amazing pile of absolutely dwarfiness? :D (I think there's a way to find the seed in the region file for the world, somehow)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2014, 12:00:05 pm »

The world I had managed to gen had the maximum (1000) number of secrets allowed.
This actually doesn't affect anything. If you have only one secret, gods will grant multiple slabs with the same secret. More than one secret just clutters up your save file.

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 03:14:42 am »

Please give us the world gen parameters for this epicness! You can get them by exporting the relevant data from legends mode (the files are placed on your DF root folder).

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2014, 05:24:24 pm »

Or the save, please.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!