Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 4.08: Small committee game !  (Read 32164 times)

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 4.08: Small committee game setting up
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2014, 03:06:42 pm »

Or we could just wait. I'm fine either way. Six would probably be a bit too spacey for this map, I feel.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 04, 2014, 03:32:58 pm »

Well if you can wait:
Looks alright, maybe a bit too much caves, but I rather like those. Some more water provinces would be nice as well, even if we don't have underwater nations.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 04, 2014, 03:37:23 pm »

It's hard to have more than 5 water provinces without them being all a big sea :/
And about the caves, I wanted Agartha to have multiple swap points possible, and without it just being a single cave province by mountain range...

Antur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 04, 2014, 03:44:34 pm »

As far as i can tell from quick singleplayer test LA Agartha does not really need caves that much so feel free to remove few.
Map looks nice, not sure if lakes are better than seas.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 04, 2014, 03:47:30 pm »

smallish map (111 provinces) so a sea quickly take a whole dimension and tranform the map in a not-wrap-around in one dimension... :/

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 04, 2014, 03:55:56 pm »

Unlike earlier Agarthas, LA doesn't have any cave summons or recruits which (or so I understand) are key to earlier Agarthas' power.
What LA Agartha does get is income and resource bonus. That makes caves somewhat desirable for Agartha, in addition the innate darkness of the caves helps Agarthan darkvision-50 troops defend them better (and invade in the first place). Unless half the thrones suddenly spawn in caves, I wouldn't be too worried. It's not like LA Agartha is exactly a powerhouse of a nation.

While I would certainly like a few small lakes for aesthetics if nothing else, it's not a big deal for me either way. With Atlantis or Jomon we'd probably want more sea provinces, but our current roster has very little UW recruits or even the natural ability to assault beneath the waves.

HopFlash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 04, 2014, 04:16:53 pm »

I stay with this:
Byt the way, as the map may determine who play what, and whether we get a 8th player...
What do you guys want ?
Opinions ?
I think I have the same taste like you...so I'm fine with your suggestions if I don't say something different ;)
if not otherwise mentioned.
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Inactive Therian Saga Char: Stormhead
Dominions: 4.03 Berytos; 4.06 Pangaea; 4.08 Arcoscephale; 4.11 Shinuyama
Inactive Wurm Online Char: Stormhead

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 04, 2014, 06:47:28 pm »

I love LA Agartha. Even though your crossbowmen are kind of bad at aiming, you can make more of them than anyone else. Plus if you do find the cheap crossbows like Hoburgs or the Ring Mail indie guy, it's even better. Your Ktonian Alchemists can cast flaming arrows as well. All Ktonian Reanimators can skelespam, and the Servant of the Oracles have good randoms. Iron Corpses are surprisingly good if your enemy doesn't have very good priests since they can be summoned en masse (if you have a E6D6 that casts Hall of the Dead you get 50!) and do not take debuffs from destruction or iron bane since their protection is innate. They also benefit greatly from Iron Marionettes and Rigor Mortis if your Tomb Oracles use them. The flaming corpses and horses can make huge dents in any infantry blobs that don't have good fire protection. Shard Wights can also tear even well equipped SCs to bits with their curse glaives. Penumbrals, Umbrals, and Sepulchrals can do heavy lifting if necessary. Blindfighters/Lords are meh.
One thing that makes me sad is you can't make anymore Mercury elementals save for a special item and that your guys can't go underwater easily anymore.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 04, 2014, 07:47:22 pm »

I had actually been eyeing Agartha before this thread got made. Was at work when the other guy claimed it. Biggest doubt I have about them is a bit too ubiquitous MM1. Bitch about maps all you like, I like my mobile mage batteries. I know that's something you can work around, but MM2+ is a luxury feature I really like having.

Amuys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 04, 2014, 09:17:41 pm »

Eh, mobility in general slowed down in Dom4. Generally though, it shouldn't be too much a problem for them since undead usually have MM3 and your mages generally have MM2. Very old mages tend to universally have MM1 though.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 09:19:37 pm by Amuys »

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2014, 02:00:52 am »

Ok guys, about the maps :
I tried generating a "better" one yesterday, but after one hour of tweaking the parameters, I couldn't get something really nice (with at least 5 waste that are not close together, at least 2 seas, at least 4 caves/cave-networks without all mountains being caves,...).

As Mindmaker will not be able to play just now, I'll spend some more time on my map, and will show you a preview of it in a dozen hour (as I may need more than an evening on it).

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 05, 2014, 03:03:45 am »

I love LA Agartha. Even though your crossbowmen are kind of bad at aiming, you can make more of them than anyone else.
I don't think you can have more than LA Ulm, unless I'm missing something obvious.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2014, 03:23:11 am »

Reanimators provide 10 resources each (and caves are resource-rich by default, I think), and they're cheap enough to be used as some of your research mage, os you can have dozens of those.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2014, 06:55:54 am »

I'll have to try them out myself sometime.

tompliss

• Bay Watcher
  • Goodbye ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 09, 2014, 07:37:27 am »

Ok guys ...
I give you Uthar Mabdug :
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
Download link (updated the file, should be OK)

I've tested it a bit with many nations to checked the start points (I put some no-start), and the rest, and it seems ok.
If somebody wants to check anything about the map, please do :)

If it fits for everybody, we'll just wait for Mindmaker to coem back and start the game :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 02:02:53 pm by tompliss »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21