Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Prehensile Beards or Beards that can grasp or strike.  (Read 4742 times)

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Prehensile Beards or Beards that can grasp or strike.
« on: July 29, 2014, 11:24:13 am »

As it stands, is this possible in the current version?  If so, how would one go about implementing it?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prehensile Beards or Beards that can grasp or strike.
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:39:20 am »

For starters, the beard isn't a tangible thing. It's a weird-shaped (unhittable) layer of hair stuck on top of the face that gets some description tags assigned to it/its length.

You'd have to make a separate beard bodypart, made of hair and also subordinate to the head with at least the [GRASP] token. Then you can start thinking of attacks it can perform.

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:59:34 pm »

if you do this, go one step further and make the beard the only thing necessary for a dwarf to live.
Everything's in the news today

Jimexmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:52 pm »

is it possiable to make the beard an organ and add the grasp tag to it
Spess mehreens Spess mehreens we make our Enemies die

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 02:26:37 am »

That's what scamtank suggested.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 05:52:38 am »

Hmm, looking over things, am I going to be able to use the hair tissue template as is or do I need to make a custom hair tissue that has [MUSCULAR] and [FUNCTIONAL]?

This is what I've got so far, I'm sure I've gone woefully off-course, since I'm rusty as all get out.

Code: [Select]
[BODY:BEARD_DWARF]
[BP:DWF_BRD:dwarf beard:STP]
[CON:HD]

[USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:HAIR:HAIR_TEMPLATE] - Honestly, no idea what I'm on about here.

[GRASP][LIMB] - prehensility for the full range of wrestling moves or would I need an upper beard for the LIMB and a lower beard for the GRASP?  Can a body part be GRASP, LIMB, and DIGIT?

[SIGHT][SMELL][HEAR] - special dwarf senses

[BREATHE][MOUTH] - because why not eat/drink & breathe with your beard? (EMBEDDED & APERTURE too?)  Would this enable beard biting?

[CATEGORY:BEARD_DWARF]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:160] - about the size of both dwarf hands.  Maybe bump it up to 200 or split it into ~100 parts if I need to separate it out for the LIMB and GRASP stuff.
It seems, at least, that punching will automatically be added to the prehensile beard simply by adding [GRASP] to it?

Or I could make a fistbeard attack, I suppose.
[ATTACK:BEARDFIST:BODYPART:BY_CATEGORY:BEARD_DWARF]
[ATTACK_SKILL:GRASP_STRIKE]
[ATTACK_VERB:beardfist:beardfists]
[ATTACK_CONTACT_PERC:100] - maybe around 30-50% contact?
[ATTACK_PREPARE_AND_RECOVER:3:3]
                [ATTACK_PRIORITY:SECOND]
                [ATTACK_FLAG_CANLATCH]

if you do this, go one step further and make the beard the only thing necessary for a dwarf to live.

Well, I suppose I could give them the ability to eat(?), breathe, smell, see, and hear through their beards, but I don't think I want to make them have thinking beards, since I think that'd mean they'd be really vulnerable to insta-death from getting socked in the beard.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 11:38:26 pm by Coidzure Dreams »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:20:33 am »

I am pretty sure now when one brain dies the creature lives if there are other brains. Look at Hydra.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Nathail

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 02:25:30 am »

I think you can designate attacks by layers, like scratching, which uses the nail layer of each finger. Couldn't you say [ATTACK:BEARDWHIP:CHILD_TISSUE_LAYER_GROUP:BY_CATEGORY:HEAD:BEARD] and then set up the actual meat of the attack?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:08 am »

Since some consider beards to be some kind of parasitic organisms you could also add a beard attack that has a chance of injecting a beard syndrome (think of a tiny beard transplant) that causes severe pain and necrosis over a long period and has a low (10% or so) chance of transforming (overtaking the victim) those that survive into dwarves (thralls of the beard overlords). I did this once with kobolds so it is doable.

Okay, I think that this is getting a bit too creepy so I will shut up now
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 07:42:06 pm »

Since some consider beards to be some kind of parasitic organisms you could also add a beard attack that has a chance of injecting a beard syndrome (think of a tiny beard transplant) that causes severe pain and necrosis over a long period and has a low (10% or so) chance of transforming (overtaking the victim) those that survive into dwarves (thralls of the beard overlords). I did this once with kobolds so it is doable.

Okay, I think that this is getting a bit too creepy so I will shut up now

Feel free to go on.  :P You've gotten me interested now.  I have even less of an understanding of syndromes than I do of the body parts, though.

If I need to add in a new tissue for it, this is what I have so far.  So that fat, muscular dwarfs have the thickest, most luxurious beards.
[TISSUE:DWARF_BEARD]
[TISSUE_NAME:dwarfbeard:NP]
[TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:HAIR]
[RELATIVE_THICKNESS:1]
[THICKENS_ON_ENERGY_STORAGE]
[THICKENS_ON_STRENGTH]
[SUBORDINATE_TO_TISSUE:SKIN]
[STYLEABLE]
[PAIN_RECEPTORS:5]
[HEALING_RATE:100]
[INSULATION:100]
[TISSUE_SHAPE:STRANDS]
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 01:02:34 am by Coidzure Dreams »

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2014, 06:44:31 am »

Would this mean Dwarves with no arms would still be able to wield weapons?

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2014, 10:13:25 am »

It would also mean that beards could get severed in combat and come back as beard zombies
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

TheBricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2014, 03:29:23 pm »

I imagine the dwarven hero that lost both arms and still managed to slay a dragon. Or triple wielding axes.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2014, 09:06:01 pm »

It would also mean that beards could get severed in combat and come back as beard zombies

I hadn't thought about that before, but this pleases me greatly.

I'm still not sure how to add the body part or specify what tissue it's made out of, though. 

Do I just make the Dwarf_Beard body part and add it to an [OBJECT:BODY] file such as body_default or body_rcp or body_dwarfbeard in the raws and then just add in DWARF_BEARD in that list of body parts in creature_standard?

So that:
[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

would become:

[BODY:HUMANOID_NECK:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:DWARF_BEARD:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:HUMANOID_JOINTS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:SKULL:5FINGERS:5TOES:MOUTH:TONGUE:FACIAL_FEATURES:TEETH:RIBCAGE]

Do I just add in the [BODY:DWARF_BEARD] stuff into the creature entry directly?  If so, how do I specify what tissue to make it out of so that it's either hair or hair that thickens as the dwarf marbleizes? 

Would just making it attached to the head automatically make it out of hair since the face is made out of skin?

Edit: Also, what determines how damaging a punch or kick or beardlash/beardfisting would be, anyway?  I know with weapons it's part material and part the type of weapon and then quality gets factored in.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:44:36 pm by Coidzure Dreams »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:41 pm »

Edit: Also, what determines how damaging a punch or kick or beardlash/beardfisting would be, anyway?  I know with weapons it's part material and part the type of weapon and then quality gets factored in.

Material (since it's a BLUNT attack I believe more dense materials help LEAD, PLATINUM. And the size of the bodypart (more mass))
lower the contact_area (so the attack is not spread out (like whips, those bone breaking lazer weapons))
up Velocity to make it hit faster which means more force)
Pages: [1] 2 3