Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Prehensile Beards or Beards that can grasp or strike.  (Read 4745 times)

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prehensile Beards or Beards that can grasp or strike.
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2014, 10:12:50 pm »

Edit: Also, what determines how damaging a punch or kick or beardlash/beardfisting would be, anyway?  I know with weapons it's part material and part the type of weapon and then quality gets factored in.

Material (since it's a BLUNT attack I believe more dense materials help LEAD, PLATINUM. And the size of the bodypart (more mass))
lower the contact_area (so the attack is not spread out (like whips, those bone breaking lazer weapons))
up Velocity to make it hit faster which means more force)

So unless I wanted to make them into hair-whips I'd need to go down to the level of altering the material that the tissue that the body part is made out of, then?

Hmm, now that gives me the idea to have several different castes of dwarf with different materials for their beards.  Like bronzebeards with actual bronze for beards... XD

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2014, 10:19:44 pm »

I'd even settle just for that, for the dwarfs to have metal-strand hair and have different metals for different hair colours.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 07:56:18 am »

Fun fact: Dwarves with grasp-beards can wield 1 weapon and 2 shields.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 08:09:46 am »

Fun fact: Dwarves with grasp-beards can wield 1 weapon and 2 shields.

I couldn't quite tell if there was any benefit to having more than one shield when I was looking over the wiki.  Is there?

I'd even settle just for that, for the dwarfs to have metal-strand hair and have different metals for different hair colours.

Definitely seems pretty neat, though I have even less of an idea of how to do that than how to make different castes for various differently metaled beards. 

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 08:12:55 am »

Judging from ingame fights againt 4-armed antmen with 3 shields: Yes, I think there is.
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 11:42:22 am »

This thread is becoming amazing. I'm now imagining a living dwarf head functioning like a whole creature thanks to its beard.

Everything's in the news today

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 02:23:02 pm »

Is their any way to impart a protective value to hair layers? Back when I played WoW, my dwarf's beard was capable of stopping arrows. I'd love to recreate that here.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

InquisitiveCorkscrew

• Bay Watcher
  • I kind of miss the asylum. Those were good times.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 02:26:20 pm »

This thread is becoming amazing. I'm now imagining a living dwarf head functioning like a whole creature thanks to its beard.

Dwarves that can survive decapitation? Why the hell not?

Words cannot describe the sheer insane awesomeness of that concept. (Also I would kill to have a beard made of iron, or better yet cotton candy. I mean, what dwarf wouldn't? The only kind of beard more awesome I can think of would be a beard made of magma, but I have a hunch that wouldn't end well.)
Please excuse my insane ramblings. I'm barely lucid at the best of times.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 02:39:37 pm »

Well I'm pretty sure it'd just be caste-based. Just call them all dwarfs, equal chance of birth, and have the only difference be beard material and colour. Double it up for the female caste as well if you want bearded females and you're golden.

(I think you would still need to double it up, just so you don't have like 9 men, each with a different beard colour, for every one woman? That sounds like a weird work-around, there's probably a way to balance a single caste to pop out 50% of the time, regardless of how many other castes there are)
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 02:44:01 pm »

yes, that would certainly work.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 02:44:49 pm »

Well I'm pretty sure it'd just be caste-based. Just call them all dwarfs, equal chance of birth, and have the only difference be beard material and colour. Double it up for the female caste as well if you want bearded females and you're golden.

(I think you would still need to double it up, just so you don't have like 9 men, each with a different beard colour, for every one woman? That sounds like a weird work-around, there's probably a way to balance a single caste to pop out 50% of the time, regardless of how many other castes there are)

Set up population ratios. Say you have 5 different metals; give females a 5:1 pop ratio and leave the others alone.
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 05:02:45 pm »

Ah, I didn't realize there was a RAWs command for population ratio.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 11:16:43 pm »

Dwarves that can survive decapitation? Why the hell not?

How would you work that though?  Have two beards, one attached to the upper body as a backup?  Take off the [UPPERBODY] and [LOWERBODY] tokens(tags?) so that the head can separate from them or they can be separated from one another without causing death?

From what I recall of the wiki on the subject, the upper body being separated from the lower body is supposed to be invariably fatal, and the same with a single head and the upper body.  ???

Words cannot describe the sheer insane awesomeness of that concept. (Also I would kill to have a beard made of iron, or better yet cotton candy. I mean, what dwarf wouldn't? The only kind of beard more awesome I can think of would be a beard made of magma, but I have a hunch that wouldn't end well.)

That would be pretty sweet, yeah, but also pretty much imminently fatal unless we made the dwarves out of stone, or at least gave them some kind of medium-durability stone for skin, probably some kind of custom fossilized fat(Think the Fifth Elephant/Discworld with its rock treacle and the like) for fat, something like magma or mercury for blood, and I'm not sure what sort of material would do for their muscles, maybe steel or pig iron?

It does make me wonder if you could have a magma-beard become an obsidian beard.  Which then just makes me want to have a caste with obsidian beards that are like living razor-wire.

Can you not have a Caste which is itself split up between males and females or that both sexes can be assigned to, then?

Hmm.  So what would the hierarchy be, anyway?  Copper Beards at the bottom as the base peasantry and then Bronze Beards next up as the craftsdwarves, Silver Beards for the traders(or maybe switch them with the Bronze Beards) maybe Obsidian Beards as a sort of special priestly caste(?), Steel Beards as the warrior-caste(natch), and maybe Rose-Gold Beards for the nobility? 

Extra points if you could make the monarch the sole Adamantine Beard.

...Heh.  I just had the worst idea for making dwarves drop "dwarf beard" helms upon death in a similar way Bronze Colossi drop bronze statues, so that in adventurer mode, one could kill dwarves and wear their beards as trophy-armor. 

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 11:37:36 pm »

Remember to allow them to be used as feet, incase of the loss of legs.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 11:56:40 pm »

Hmm...  I suppose you could have the beard and the neck both serve as connectors between the head and upper body, which would make the beard and neck need to be severed in order to cause decapitation?

Remember to allow them to be used as feet, incase of the loss of legs.

Except if you give them the [Stance] token, the dorfs will go crazy if they don't wear shoes on 'em, right?  I suppose there'd be some kind of custom beard-net or something which would allow one to side-step that, though I'm not sure how you'd be able to set up the raws so that the beardnets only ended up on beards and no shoes or socks ended up on beards.
Pages: 1 [2] 3