Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting as a dwarf, lost in the fortress  (Read 7960 times)

nomad_delta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Starting as a dwarf, lost in the fortress
« on: July 29, 2014, 12:37:36 pm »

Anyone else having difficulty finding their way out of the fortress when starting as a dwarf adventurer?  I found some stairs upward that took me to what seems like living-quarters floor with dozens of 2x2 square bedrooms in sprawling tunnels (although most are lacking beds) ... but I'm finding it extremely tedious to check each door one by one trying to find the next stairs up looking for the surface.  Any tips on finding my way out so I don't waste hours just trying to find the exit?

Wouldn't it perhaps make sense for a fortress guard or hearthsperson or whatever to start with at least a basic map/memory of the layout of their own fortress and perhaps a tiny bit of the surrounding area?  Seems silly that a fortress guard doesn't even know where the exit to their own fortress is and has to go poking into everyone's bedrooms one by one searching for the stairs.

--nomad_delta

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
Re: Starting as a dwarf, lost in the fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 12:39:38 pm »

Try 'shift+t', it should give you the mini map of your fortress.

Other than that, the degree of hidden areas is determined by the memory attribute, but only as you go to sleep and wake up, not for when you start out.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Shadow_Hornet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 02:37:35 am »

I was stuck in a fort myself when I 1st tried adventure mode.

Maolagin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 11:04:19 am »

I wish that worked! But sadly, the travel map just considers that you are underground and thus in the dark, so you only get to see the immediately adjacent map tiles. Not very helpful.

I've got a dwarf adventurer right now who started in a mountain halls. They aren't big and have a pretty consistent layout, so it's easy to get out of one. But since I can't see the local map, I'm having a dickens of a time using the tunnel network to find my way to a fortress and up to the surface.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 11:30:15 am »

edit: nevermind
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2014, 12:19:19 pm »

I wish that worked! But sadly, the travel map just considers that you are underground and thus in the dark, so you only get to see the immediately adjacent map tiles. Not very helpful.
Just fast travel upwards if you're in a fortress. (<)
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.