Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Combat: Predicted Accuracy vs. Real Accuracy  (Read 1225 times)

Kriby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat: Predicted Accuracy vs. Real Accuracy
« on: July 29, 2014, 01:23:18 pm »

So, I've recently been in a rather feisty altercation with a group of non-lethal gobbos. It was my first fight with the character so I had no skill. After much unskilled punching and !!FUN!! + savescumming, I suddenly had a breakthrough win once I dedicated all my blows to the upper torso. I hardly ever missed, and even landed several "impossible"-rated blows.

The whole thing seemed kind of surreal since this was immediately after a fresh savescum, so there was no previous skill in punching. Compared to supposedly "easy strike" rated head attacks, the accuracy was insane.

Is predicted accuracy relative rather than absolute? Is this a bug?

If you've had any (dis)similar experiences please share!

cyberTripping

• Bay Watcher
  • JPEG Artifactoid
    • View Profile
Re: Combat: Predicted Accuracy vs. Real Accuracy
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 01:59:04 pm »

If I remember correctly, the upper body has a higher hit rate than other parts (excluding lower body, which has an equal hit rate) duue to it's size.
Everything's in the news today

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 02:01:50 pm »

Predicted accuracy also doesn't include the effects of attributes and skill roll modifiers. So it's kinda a random roll, yes.
._.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 03:25:57 pm »

Yeah, with enough skill in fighting and/or your preferred weapon, you can land "Difficult" strikes as though they were "easy."
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 11:25:03 pm »

With sick stats and stupid amounts of skill you can rather reliably hit things on "impossible" strikes, be they heads or eyes.

So yeah, the displayed accuracy is a load of bull.

oh_no

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 01:58:39 am »

I *think* the [HEAD] tag makes that body part much harder to hit. It certinaly seems to makes that part much more durable (as of 0.34)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

YvAd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 07:06:23 am »

Not to crushing blows :/ A zombie can kill a dwarf in a single hit through adamantine helms.
In the newest version, vampires deny being vampires. Try face-stabbing instead.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2014, 11:38:05 am »

And on the other hand, with superhuman strength you can make zombie's heads explode with single punches.

Wilfred of Ivanhoe

• Bay Watcher
  • positively macabre
    • View Profile
    • My Music
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 10:04:44 pm »

And on the other hand, with superhuman strength you can make zombie's heads explode with single punches.

I can attest to this as I went on a run where I only used my fists and kicks and was able to defeat any similarly-sized opponent I encountered by making heads explode.
(1) You grab your golf bag and take out your gun. But then an Orc comes over and sensually gives you a massage. You decide to marry the Orc and live together. Unfortunately, the Orc walks over a slime mine and blows up. You commit suicide, unable to bare the thought of living with out your one true love.

random_odd_guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 10:23:59 pm »

I can attest to this as I went on a run where I only used my fists and kicks and was able to defeat any similarly-sized opponent I encountered by making heads explode.

That was after i had reached legendary swordsman, I decided "fuck it" and started training fists on zombies. even at low skill level, dat superhuman strength.