Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Balancing civs.  (Read 694 times)

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
Balancing civs.
« on: July 31, 2014, 12:18:43 pm »

I made a custom civilization consisting of a near-copy of the [MOUNTAIN] entity with ethics modifications, elves instead of dwarves, the ability to tame any animal, and added scourges and twohanders. I fear this makes them a bit overpowered, and I want to compensate for this by buffing up the other races. Without the custom civ, DF is fairly balanced: dwarves are small with limited war animals but they have access to steel, humans have larger size and access to metal weapons with inferior pets, elves have no metal but the best natural stats and pets, and gobbos have good pets and access to metal, making all of them balanced. (Kobolds get screwed; no pets and small size.) What should the default civs get to compensate?
GM of Trespassers V2.
I'm writing a science fantasy story. Mostly hiatused due to life stuff.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Agent_Irons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Balancing civs.
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 12:45:42 pm »

Bump up their bone strength. NATURAL_SKILL Discipline. Skin that's like copper. Children that grow up faster is a popular one for worldgen.

You have a few options, but currently worldgen combat is kind of crazy, so I wouldn't worry about it much.