Poll

[Insert new poll shenanigans here later]

When there is a poll again.
- 0 (0%)
Or maybe when there isn't.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39

Author Topic: Crystalline - Cycle 84  (Read 79014 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Crystalline - Cycle 83
« Reply #525 on: November 15, 2015, 11:06:51 am »

Cycle 83, continued.
You poke a section of it with a little energy. The trace mana seems to evaporate, but other than that it doesn't really change much. Odd. Poking it with a little bit of converted mana causes the trace mana to flare up however, so it seems it could go either way easily. Being more direct and chucking energy at it makes it reflect back to you, which is certainly not the sort of thing rock does. Yet it doesn't appear to have turned into anything in particular that you can tell. Bringing forgitar half-crystal over here would let you scan it for technological possibilities, but really? Theres no one down here as far as you are aware, and you are very aware of here. And that stuff is not cheap. You probably just weren't careful enough and the burst spread out too much. Before you get distracted by ridiculous (and hardly possible, who would live this far down besides you?) nagging ideas, you go investigate the whatever it is that was left behind by the thing that goes poom.

Looking through the large and disorganized pile of Darkflyme research (well, technically it is organized chronologically. But that doesn't help, considering what its focused on), you don't really find what you want, which was something at least half-reliable to test with. So instead, you compare the energy reading with the recorded ones to see if The Thing That Goes Poom jumped to another dimension or not.

...As it turns out, no. But it did reveal a very particular coordinate set, once you applied some of the spells the arcanists had told you about it. With all of them dispelled now, you fabricate a similarly particular crystalline to do some exploring. Part arms crystal, part diplomatic crystalline, part storage crystal. Part mana crystal, although thats likely to be unstable so it was minimized. Enough energy to give them several cycles of independence, since you can't make any who could build their own base yet after all. Even if the wireless tech was finished, you only know these coordinates stay on this planet, not where on this planet, so they'll either be destroyed by whatever is on the other side, or will eventually be found by us and revived. An extremely powerful directional antenna linked to the signal of the outpost closest to the alterin base, in case they have something to report Lastly, very specific instructions: Their name is Explorer only, not to reveal where they came from (if forced, answer 'Space'), and to only shoot if they have to, since it will drain the energy. You place them on the same spot The Thing That Goes Poom was, and use the rest of the energy on hand (except the reserve) to ensure the warp goes off without a problem.

Self cycle-1/Cycle 83
>Sound received: Badly corrupted dialect of Crystalline language. Unexpected. Not from Core. Transcript: "It sent something! That was the same damned xenological rock! Rock! Identify yourself before we preempt you from doing what you attempted here 360 generations ago!"
Options:
Reply 'I am Explorer.'
Fire at speaker. (-100 energy)
Wait.
Do [other command].
>_

Spoiler: Explorer status (click to show/hide)

Originally, I was just going to go with basically 'yep, they went somewhere.' But mixing the dimensional research and magic sounded like a more interesting idea, and you guys get to meet someone else! ;) Temporarily.
We can go investigate the proxian town later, after all. Its not going to go poof anytime soon.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Crystalline - End of Cycle 83
« Reply #526 on: November 15, 2015, 11:14:06 am »

>Explorer:"What?"
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:08:48 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 15, 2015, 02:05:05 pm »

>Reply 'I am Explorer'
>Inquire 'What was 360 generations ago?'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 15, 2015, 02:08:38 pm »

>Reply 'I am Explorer'
+1
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 15, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »

>Reply 'I am Explorer'
+1
+2 you mean.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 15, 2015, 02:18:29 pm »

No, I meant +1, because you +1ed my +1 to make it a +2.
Sigtext

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 15, 2015, 02:25:59 pm »

83, Subcycle 4
>Reply 'I am Explorer'
"Explorer, huh? Descriptive name. Obvious name. I don't like it at all."
>Inquiry 'What was 360 generations ago?'
"You goddamn know what happened then already! You started it after all just by showing up, you piece of shiny space-rock. I'd throw the big book at you if it'd have any effect, but you'd just sit there, not knocked over or booksmacked."
Inquiry failed.

Revised options:
Ask core for historical details if possible (-50 energy, 50% chance)
Fire at irritable speaker. (-100 energy)
Wait.
Do [other command].
>_

50% chance because we might still have that particular history hidden somewhere in our memory but haven't looked for it, or we might've lost it during the OP. Either way, I don't think they like us much.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 15, 2015, 02:29:02 pm »

>"This unit does not have records of such events, otherwise this unit would not have asked.  What was 360 generations ago?"
>Ping the core anyway.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 02:30:40 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 15, 2015, 02:29:23 pm »

>Ask Core for Details. Doesn't cost us all that much, really.
>Reply 'Apologies? Effect likely unintentional'
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.

XXXXYYYY

• Bay Watcher
  • Been a long time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 15, 2015, 03:10:47 pm »

>"This unit does not have records of such events, otherwise this unit would not have asked.  What was 360 generations ago?"
>Ping the core anyway.
+1
>Reply 'Apologies? Effect likely unintentional'
+1 as well
Oooooooo. I know. ClF3. That should be a fun surprise.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Crystalline - Cycle 84
« Reply #535 on: November 15, 2015, 03:19:41 pm »

Cycle 84, sub-1
(I'll put together the main part later, assuming you guys just want to explore town-wards. Post things if you have other plans!)
>Ask core for details (Luck: Failed)
Core replies in the negative, requested history missing. Adjusting response accordingly.
>Reply 'Apologies, but Explorer cannot locate such distant history data in its memoryspace. What happened 360 generations ago?'
"Damn idiot piece of...fine. I'll go get the book if you can prove you aren't trying to be sneaky again. Though if I'm going to get it anyway I'm hitting you with it anyways. Maybe a little percussion will go a long way. Now, what is the name of this planet, and who is the oh-so-fancy research scouts who landed a base here some time ago and triggered a village of the xenophobe natives to siege them?"
>Reply 'Prox II, Alterins.'
"Well good, good. That means you aren't scouting from orbit, at least. We'll be able to eventually find the source this time. Ka, watch the idiot rock while I go get the Big Book."
"Sure boss."
Name noted. New cycle elapsed, maintenance running.

New options:
Ka: Ask question(s).
Shoot irritable speaker. (-100 energy)
Shoot Ka. (-100 energy)
Wait.
[Other]
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 15, 2015, 03:23:43 pm »

>Wait.
Sigtext

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 15, 2015, 03:42:12 pm »

Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 20, 2015, 01:47:36 pm »

Cycle 84.2
Explorer waits. Ka waits. You can't see any other beings nearby, so its honestly rather boring. Book man needs to get back over here already.

Meanwhile, you explore towards the town some through more direct radar instead of just one huge wide pulse. For the most part, it is rock and dirt. Occasional little caves. Stuff you could find over here. Eventually you find something that scatters the wave, so you throw some mana out with the next wave to see if it also scatters. Since it does, your best guess would be you've hit something enchanted, and at about 1.5 palantir of range its probably the nearer town, not the tower. Still, since theres enchantment its worth investigating. You spend 762.5k of energy on reaching over there in feeler strands, then after you're fairly certain thats the correct spot, place an overseer-augmented farseer oversight sector on top of the last feeler cluster. You give it the designation Relay Alpha-West, and relax for a bit now that you've solidified the extension and wait for the results of the full farseer results.
Well, you're pretty sure its not the tower you had been looking for (its buried far too down to be easily spotted by aircraft, for one thing), but it does appear to be a proxian tower at least. Its much larger than you'd expected of them from the sort of buildings the place near the fort did, and it houses a rather small mana crystal in it compared to the big swath of it closer by. Closer inspection reveals this one is no more or less stable than the rest (disappointing), but its far more focused from the gemcraft they've worked on it (not so disappointing). It would indeed be worth investigating further, but there is new rock to continue testing!
---
After experimenting with different parts of the sector, you still aren't certain what the minimum energy requirement would be to take over the whole thing. Its very peculiar rock. You have figured out several things about it, however:
  • If you charge it with energy, the trace mana vanishes. After it does so there appears to be more energy than you put into it, but it refuses to let go of it.
  • if you charge it with mana or converted-energy mana, it flares up, then dissipates back down to minimal amounts. From the readings there is more mana than you put into it at peak flare, and it doesn't seem to dissipate out past the edge of the rock cluster.
  • Attempting to charge it with both cracks it in two, in an unhelpful way. If there was energy in it beforehand, it lets go of it after cracking. Repairable.
  • Blasting it with too much of either causes reflection. Reflection is annoying, since you have to go sort it back into the flow before it gets in the way of something like research.
  • Hitting it with too little energy does nothing at all, like forgite.
You go back to checking on Explorer while deciding what to check on next.
Spoiler: Undercore (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Relay Alpha-West (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map legend (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crystal forms (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Crystal Cluster forms (click to show/hide)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 21, 2015, 01:32:17 am »

What about charging/affecting it with highly differentiable amounts of the energy? Like, a little Mana and plenty of energy, or vice versa?

Would we be able to grab the energy it lets go of when it cracks?
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39