Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I installed the .34 LNP  (Read 762 times)

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I installed the .34 LNP
« on: July 31, 2014, 04:21:32 pm »

Went to play the game, and some sound file out of date issue came up. I selected what the program said was the best solution and sound files apparently started updating, but when I realized this was literally going to take hours, I shut down the program and tried to delete it (I downloaded it to my user folder or whatever and extracted it in a new folder I called "Dwarf Fortress") it wouldn't let me because the program is apparently in use.

Can anyone tell me what on earth is going on with this thing?

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I installed the .34 LNP
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2014, 04:29:33 pm »

Hello!

Welcome to the community

You downloaded a package which contains dwarf fortress and some popular mods. Sounds like you were trying to load Soundsense - which is a soundpack for the game, its really awesome. Trick is, it comes in the LNP without any sounds. The mod connects to a remote server and downloads the files you need. As you noticed this process takes forever. Youll need to hit ctrl - alt - delete to close the soundsense app in order to delete the whole folder. It runs some kind of sub-app which listens to events in the game. Check your taskbar youll probably see it running there.

When in doubt however, just reboot and you can delete the folder fine.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2014, 04:36:37 pm »

Thanks for the welcome! You're response is much appreciated, I rebooted and deleted it, I'm going to download the package again and just not use sound sense.

TheFreshPrince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2014, 04:42:58 pm »

By the way, what is the difference between this http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8687

and the Lazy Newb Pack? Or is there one?

TurboSlug22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2014, 04:48:44 pm »

Officially speaking im not sure what the difference is - unofficially its the same thing haha

The only difference would be the different accessory apps that come along with the core version of the game. Both the LNP and the starter pack contain the same version of the software (.34.11) if youre using the older more stable version so the gameplay experience would be the same. You might get some different included graphics packs and mods though. You'd have to take a closer look at the included apps which are detailed in the posts regarding those packages.

Honestly though just grab the starter pack. The last time I used it I was quite impressed with the launcher options it has to customize the game for your playstyle

Have fun and let us know if you have any questions at all!

fricy

• Bay Watcher
  • [DFHACK:ZEALOT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 04:03:44 am »

By the way, what is the difference between this http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8687
and the Lazy Newb Pack? Or is there one?
The Starter Pack is the spiritual successor to LNP with a new name, as the maintaner of the original LNP project stopped updating that pack. Basicly the same game, same v34.11 version only updated with the latest version of the utilities, especially dfhack-r5. My advice is to grab the Starter Pack, as it contains more bugfixes and expanded features, more automations like autobutcher, workflow, etc, check out falconne's page to learn about these plugins.

And there's also the new starter pack with the 40.x branch, just to make things more confusing. :)